Hashi's and Plateaus?

Options
lindsey1979
lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
Anyone else with Hashi's experience plateaus?

I ask because I've recently been diagnosed with Hashi's. I'm taking 120 of Nature-throid as well as 2000 mg of metformin (also have insulin resistance which my doc is optimistic that I can reverse by taking off the weight). I'm 35 and suspected a hypo issue for a long time, but like so many, wasn't diagnosed until recently.

Before the diagnosis, I was eating and exercising at a 700+ daily caloric deficit and barely losing (2.2 lbs over 3 months) -- and going absolutely crazy in the process! But, after the diagnosis and getting dosed up on the meds, the weight finally started coming off like a "normal" person, in line with my calculated deficits (1.5 - 2 lbs per week). But, after about 4-6 weeks and 8 lbs lost or so, it just totally stopped. I'm into my third week with no loss despite similar (actually, slightly greater) daily deficits. A few days ago, I started to notice a few hypo symptoms coming back -- feeling bouts of fatigue (though not nearly as badly pre-medication) and my hands being ice cold on occasion again. And, I thought to myself, perhaps I'm having a "flare" up -- the immune system was attacking the thyroid -- so that even though I'm on meds, I'm slightly hypo (as the med level was set when I wasn't in this state).

I have no idea if this is a thing or not -- just something I noticed -- and wanted to see if anyone else with Hashi's has experienced this? Especially since so many people say that plateaus don't exist and it means that you're eating maintenance -- I know this isn't the case for me as I meticulously weigh everything and I typically eat 1650-1800 per day (I'm 5'9" and 184 lbs -- and would like to get down to 160 or so). I gauge output by a Body media armband (as for exercise, I lift heavy twice a week, do sprint sessions twice a week and walk/hike 20-25 miles on average). And the weight was coming off as expected not that long ago. I can't simply be right for the first 4-6 weeks and then be drastically wrong to the tune of 5000 calories per week a little bit later. So, I thought this may be a Hashi's phenomenon -- at least for those that have considerable thyroid function left.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or heard of it?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and take Synthroid & Cytomel. My dosages are adjusted every three months. Everybody has plateaus, and mine have not correlated in any way with my dosages. YMMV.

I don't understand what you mean about "plateaus don't really exist—ur eating at maintenance." Weight loss is not linear. Sometimes you do everything right and barely lose; other times you drop a lot of weight for no good reason. (I believe the technical term for the latter is "whoosh.") Plateaus happen. Weight fluctuates.

Take photos & measurements, too. And for some accurate info, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I just meant that so many people on the forums will say that plateaus are not real. That it means that the person is not really creating a deficit and eating at maintenance. Essentially, if you're eating in a deficit, you will lose. But, then some will also say that weight loss is not linear. I've read Lyle's whoosh theory and it seems just as reasonable as any else out there.

I was trying to figure out if this was a normal weightloss thing I'm experiencing or if it was Hashi's related.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    And the weight was coming off as expected not that long ago. I can't simply be right for the first 4-6 weeks and then be drastically wrong to the tune of 5000 calories per week a little bit later. So, I thought this may be a Hashi's phenomenon -- at least for those that have considerable thyroid function left.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or heard of it?
    Actually, what you were doing before *can* stop working. The closer you get to goal, the smaller the margin of error gets on your calorie counts & burns. While you may have lost weight before without weighing your food &/or eating back half your exercise calories, now you may need to log even more accurately & honestly and reevaluate your burns.

This is just conjecture on my part. The only to prove me right or wrong is to weigh your food &/or eat back half your calories.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Editorgirl -- I agree with you in you theory. But just not in this case. We're talking about a 8 lbs loss, not a 40 lbs loss. And, the calculations accounts for the lower weight -- my BMR hasn't dropped that much and my calories burned are calculated on the new weight (as measured by a body media armband not my own calculations).

And once again, we're talking about a 5000+ calorie difference on a weekly basis. Where I was losing 1.5 lbs on and now am losing nothing.
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I have been hypo for over 10 years and levels are stable on levoxyl for past 5 years. I get checked every 6 months. I am getting that much closer to goal weight so it's harder and takes longer but it is slowly coming off and I eat normally so I am not in a hurry. 5' 8.5" and 18 pounds to goal weight of 147 (which I may adjust to 155 ).

3 weeks without a real weight loss..yes I have had that but I don't call it a plateau because I go up 2 down 1 down another then up 2 for that period of time..but usually after a month or 5 weeks I am down at least a half a pound, so usually a small woosh here, but a woosh where I can tell the scale is real because the clothes are looser. I only eat 1450 cause I work out of the house and don't move my body unless I go to the gym which is three to four times a week. I don't eat back calories as I find all of the exercise calculations seem to overestimate the calories expended.

You have to readjust your TDEE with every five pound weight loss. As you lose weight, your TDEE goes down. Although your weight loss isn't extreme it is something to keep in mind.

I would stay the course. Also make sure your thryoid levels are stable and make sure water is not the culprit. Water retention cannot amount to alot. 8 oz of water weighs 1/2 pound so any water retention during monthly cycle can really sabotage you.

If your levels are good, and you stay the course of eating below TDEE then you will see results. Good luck!
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Frigs -- thanks for the thoughts. My TDEE gets adjusted all the time with the armband as it's linked to my weight reports -- and I update those several times a week. Not everyday, but every other day or so. It's just shocked me that I've literally stayed within the same 0.8 lbs (184-184.8) for the past 18 days. I realize it's not super long, but I'm probably somewhat impatient because I'm hoping to hit a certain size for my wedding (in July). And, when it was coming down steadily, I was pretty optimistic. But, with the stop, it's a little more frustrating. In the long term, I know patience is key. Just with the short term goal of the wedding, it throws a different spin on it. I hope to be able to report in a week or two that the plateau is over -- just looking for any feedback for those with Hashi's (or not) for advice on their experiences with the sudden stops. Thanks again.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    I have definitely experienced the sudden stops in weight loss despite meticulous (obsessive?) logging. For me, it's always turned out to be the first sign I'm swinging hypo again. When I get hypo "enough" that my doctor agrees to raise my dose, I lose like a normal person again until the cycle repeats.

It is super frustrating. To the point where I am almost looking forward to my thyroid giving up completely so I'll be on a full replacement dose.

I do wonder whether us hypo folks have to find an absolutely perfect sweet spot for intake- low enough to lose, high enough that it doesn't trigger a thyroid slow down via too many stress hormones.

You're definitely not alone, and I agree that it's likely thyroid if you've hit a plateau for more than 3 weeks. Are you scheduled for a tsh/ ft3/ ft4 lab soon?
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Thanks, Mara -- I appreciate the feedback, and it is what I suspect as before I felt that my dosage was just on the line, and now I'm feeling some muted hypo symptoms (whereas I wasn't before). Luckily, my doc isn't beholden to the lab numbers -- he very much treats based on the my symptoms as I have Hashi's and it varies. He checks to make sure that my T3/T4 aren't too high and my TSH is detectable (to show I'm not over medicated), but he has no problem increasing my dosage even though their "within range" (though on the low side) if I'm experiencing hypo symptoms. I have an appt with him at the end of April, so we'll discuss it then. Thanks for the feedback.
  • kjcross11
    kjcross11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't reply much here but I'm hypothyroid as well. I'm taking 1.5 of Armour and switched from Synthroid because I had to up my dose every three months and it was ridiculous and not working.

I know for me that too few calories will just stress my body out and my thyroid gets out of wack again. If I add a too-big deficit with a lot of exercise, it also raises my TSH and I won't lose.

So, for me, if symptoms are coming back and I'm dieting, I have to either add a couple hundred calories back or scale back on the exercise for awhile and let my body catch up.

That may not be it for you- just letting you know my experience.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Kjcross -- thank you so much for the feedback. This is really helpful and I greatly appreciate you sharing your experience. The Hashi's thing is very new to me, so the more info and feedback I can get on people's experiences, the better. What you're saying totally makes sense to me.

I'm taking 2.0 or Naturethroid and I first thought that may be borderline too much, but then it settled in and seemed fine. But, now it seems too little (which makes me think I'm having that Hashi's flare up), so I'm taking 2.25 for the time being.

Intuitively, I think my body may be doing exactly what you're saying happens to you as I did cut back this week -- just walked a lot -- and I do feel better. One of my friends also posted privately that she has similar experience after 6-8 weeks starting a new lifting routine. And that's exactly where I am -- at 9-10 weeks lifting. That she too got super fatigued and had shown signs of overtraining, though she didn't think she was doing all that much (like me). So, she took a week off and upped calories and she snapped out of it.

Thanks again for the feedback.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I'm taking 2.0 or Naturethroid and I first thought that may be borderline too much, but then it settled in and seemed fine. But, now it seems too little (which makes me think I'm having that Hashi's flare up), so I'm taking 2.25 for the time being.
    Please say you're working with an endocrinologist (or at least a GP/internist), and not self-medicating!
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Editorgrrl -- I am. My doc actually specializes in thyroid in particular, though he looks beyond just the blood tests to also consider symptoms and focuses on what is optimal for any given patient rather than merely what's "within range". After all, he says if you're low but within range and still experiencing symptoms, what's the point? So, he wants to find the optimal level that's "within range" but also where as many of the symptoms are alleviated or greatly reduced as possible.

And he hasn't said anything about a Hashi's flare up -- that's merely my own observations from my understanding of how Hashi's works and how I felt fine on one dose for a little while (like a month) and now am feeling slightly hypo again. It's my understanding that it's not uncommon for Hashi's people to have to adjust medication. Some are lucky to even out, but it's my understanding that's usually when most of the thyroid function has been lost, so they don't have as much ability to swing. Whereas when it's earlier, it can swing a lot more -- and all depends on the person.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I hit a plateau recently. Its the exact same plateau I hit last year (and then gave up). I am trying to stay positive and plug away at weightliting which at least gives me body comp change and results if the scale doesn't go down. I need to find an endocrinologist - my GP is "managing" my Hashi when I ask her to since I am a midwife and run labs on myself. Its not a good situation - I don't want this much control, lol.