100 Rep Squat Challenge

Options
jlclabo
jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
i put this in here instead of the main forum because well, we all know some people get bent out of shape over things like this, lol....
so here is how it goes. i did this wednesday night, and will do it again, but i will say, it fried my CNS, lol. im still exhausted, and my legs have not stopped burning in 2 days now. but heres the breakdown....

you have 1 hour to complete 100 reps in a 20x5 format. mine went like this.
started with 135x5, add 10lbs for every set, and ended with 325x5 to complete the 100. then for ****s and giggles i loaded 405 and repped it 3 times for fun. i did them all in 50 minutes flat including the 405x3.
the first 5 sets were done in 5 minutes, second 5 sets at 12 minutes 3rd 5 sets at 24 minutes, 4th 5 sets done at 42 minutes, and the 405x3 was at the 50 minute mark. that all includes me loading and unloading all the weights by myself. they also were all full competition depth, none of that half squat garbage. no belt, no knee wraps, just my elitefts knee sleeves and addidas powerlift 2.0 shoes. anyone else game for it? i didnt use any kind of percentages i just threw on 135 and went with it. next time ill start with 145 and go from there and try to finish with 405x3-4 again.

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I would be dead. That volume would destroy my progress for a month at least. Are you doing it for a reason?
  • jlclabo
    Options
    i did it for myself i guess you could say. im also gonna do it on bench press. same starting point and same 20x5 to make 100 but will only progress at 5lbs a set. that will start me at 135 and end at 230.the weight is really not an issue for me, both final sets are well below my 5RM, just adding all the volume to try and push my stamina as far as i can.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. If I tried this, I'd have to do 5 lbs on squat and fractionals on bench. Not strong enough to make it work like you do. Although this would be interesting to try with reverse bands.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    That would bury me.
  • jlclabo
    Options
    you dont have to start with 135, its just where i started. calculate your final set of 5 for about 75-80% of your 1RM, then deduct 10lbs per set of 5 til you get your starting point. i based mine on my most recent 1RM of 425. im going to do this about once a month for the next couple months and ill start 5lbs higher each time and ill also add 5lbs to to my heavy triple to end the session.

385-1RM would be a 290-310 finish and a 100-120 start for example.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I thought you meant 100reps in one set. As I've already done that one. Got up to 70kg/154lbs at 85kg/187lbs BW.

Couldn't walk for a week :laugh:
  • jlclabo
    Options
    I thought you meant 100reps in one set. As I've already done that one. Got up to 70kg/154lbs at 85kg/187lbs BW.

Couldn't walk for a week :laugh:
    i never done the 100 in a single set, but ive went through 50 at once at 135 with no problem at all. im thinking about doing it on bench though. 100 reps at 135. i dont think ill get it, but im up for a challenge. ive done 25 as a warm up with no trouble at all. i may have try them both and record them, lol....
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I like your style mate!

I was injured at the time and physio said no heavy stuff so lots of reps at lower weight was my choice. I have a long term goal of squatting bodyweight for 100 reps.

No way can I do a bench one though, farkin suck at benching.
  • jlclabo
    Options
    I like your style mate!

I was injured at the time and physio said no heavy stuff so lots of reps at lower weight was my choice. I have a long term goal of squatting bodyweight for 100 reps.

No way can I do a bench one though, farkin suck at benching.

i actually attempted it last night after my 2nd workout of the day, lol. i messed up by not putting clips on the bar and the weights started sliding on me, lol. i had already done a ton of volume from yesterday mornings session, then went back and did about 8 sets of flat and incline bench up to 275. i was pretty tired and can usually rep out 275 7-8 times. well 3 times and i was done lol. so i loaded the 135 on the bar and went to it. wasnt thinking about clips so when i hit rep 31 the right plate was about 4 inches from the edge of the bar so i called it quits. wasnt too bad either. i easily had a minimum of 50 in me if not more.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'd be totally into it if I hadn't just started a new cycle. I love high rep challenges like that. I'll be curious to see if anyone else takes it up.
  • jlclabo
    Options
    im currently on a deload week, so on my next chest day ill be attempting it. might even video it, purely for educational purposes, lol