post workout-crossfit

Options
mandabrett
mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
I have just started crossfit WOD's this week. Today was my first "real" WOD, and I seriously crashed within a few hours after I got home. I am unsure about what to eat post workout. I have protein shakes that I could drink, but I am more interested in whole food sources. I can tolerate dairy, and I have given some thought to some full fat greek yogurt. It would give me a pretty good balance of carb, fat, and protein. I have also considered sweet potatoes but would need some sort of protein with it. I would prefer something more convenient too that I didn't have to cook. I know that many of you do crossfit, and I thought you might have some good input. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not a crossfitter, but I like cottage cheese & sweet potatoes after a workout. I roast a bunch of sweet potatoes once a week until carmelized - fantastic cold straight from the fridge. Just added cottage cheese this week & I feel like the protein is really doing wonders for my recovery. I eat them separately, not mixed, ew. Can't stomach chewing real food for a few hours but those 2 foods are pretty easy.

I also just like protein bars... but those aren't all that primal ;)
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I put 2T of great lakes gelatin into my tea (mmm..pukka three ginger) 15 grams of protein and no fat ( hard for your body to put to use post workout). Then two hours post wod I continue eating as normal. The absolute key to not getting g sore at the box is homemade bone broth everyday and good electrolyte balance; a bit a sea salt and lemon in your water can go a long way. Also natural calm for magnesium can help.
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I put 2T of great lakes gelatin into my tea (mmm..pukka three ginger) 15 grams of protein and no fat ( hard for your body to put to use post workout). Then two hours post wod I continue eating as normal. The absolute key to not getting g sore at the box is homemade bone broth everyday and good electrolyte balance; a bit a sea salt and lemon in your water can go a long way. Also natural calm for magnesium can help.

where do you get your gelatin?
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I crossfit and I use SFH recovery when I am no eating a meal within 2 hours of training. I usually mix it with whole milk (grass fed). It is whey protein derived from grass fed milk sweetened with stevia (which doesn't bother me.) My box sells it and it is pricey, but it doesn't spike cravings.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Amazon
  • alottahunnie
    alottahunnie Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Thanks! I just ordered the green and red kinds of gelatin on Amazon! After reading a lot of what folks said about the health benefits, I can't wait to try it. I work out in the morning and will add the green kind to my coffee as I come into the office.
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Just placed an order for both the gelatin and tea! Thanks for the tip! I've been struggling a little with my protein intake. :)