advice on post surgery lifting

Options
ka97
ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
So two months ago I had ankle surgery. For the last couple of weeks I've only done "seated" lifting. I've just transitioned off the crutches and saw my ortho this morning. She has given me the ok to work back into lifting, but says I need to do so gradually and without pain. The biggest issue is the legs. I've done some of the machines for the last couple of weeks. Now that I'm allowed to start working standing, what would be the best plan of attack? I expect initially I won't be able to do much weight, if any. I would love any suggestions as to how to make the most of what I can do.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How do bodyweight or lightly weighted goblet squats feel?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Reduced resistance and range of motion for exercises that place direct load on the ankle. Progress with greater range of motion then increase resistance. Repeat until you've fully recovered and are able to perform exercises with full range of motion and resistance.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Tried some goblet squats - not so bad but only w/20lbs. Also range of motion is still limited and I have to go slightly wider than normal. Also bodyweight lunges but with holding onto a countertop for support with the bad ankle.

Is it worth doing bodyweight exercises as I work through recovery? Would it be better to stick with the seated machines (as horrible as they are) and use more weight? I'm just not sure what is best to get the most benefit of what I can do.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If the machine based exercises do not cause issues, I would do these as well as the bodyweight ones until you can get a full ROM with them. Then I would replace your machine ones with weighted free weight ones. You can slowly transition from one to the other.