Good low fat foods to eat vs good full fat foods to eat

Options
skittlesnhoney
skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
Hello I am new here and trying to lurk more than post until I get a feel for the place, so I hope that I don't accidentally break any rules.

I just came off of a 12 week challenge at the gym and they set me at 28.7% body fat. I used this number to plug my information into the macro calculator on IIFYM. According to them I should be eating 1830 calories, 205g carbs/145g protein/46g fat. Putting my BF% into the calculator cuts my fat intake from 64g to 46g. I have been generally eating in the 60's range and I hear conflicting things about lowfat versus full fat.

How do I keep it under on the fat while still hitting my carb and protein goals? Should I be make my greek yogurt low fat? I pretty much figured that I'm going to have to work chicken into my diet just about every day. And how do I keep from getting bored with my food choices?

I really want to spend the next 12 weeks cutting down on my BF% and re-comping my body so I'm definitely trying to stick with what IIFYM recommends. But I also don't want to set myself up for failure.

So, what do you eat that is low fat and what full fat foods do you splurge on?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My salad dressing is the only low fat item I use. Full fat for everthing else. Avocado. Mayo. Cheese. Fat is yummy in ma tummy.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do fat free Greek yogurt and usually 2% cheese/reduced fat cream cheese. When I cut my fat intake the biggest change was cutting way back on the oil on my roasted veggies, and pretty much eliminating higher fat meats. Besides chicken here's good low fat proteins: 1% cottage cheese, ff Greek yogurt, 99% lean ground turkey, 96% lean ground beef, shrimp and fish.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh, and how could I forget egg whites? I buy them at Costco or Sam's club.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you prefer keeping your fat closer to 60, just do that and reduce carbs to allow it.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you everyone. I used my MFP phone app to put me at 1830 calories with a 40/30/30 split and it put my goals at 206g carbs/137g protein and 51g fat. That's a little bit more fat.
    If you prefer keeping your fat closer to 60, just do that and reduce carbs to allow it.

Thank you SideSteel. I won't stress over the difference too much! I think the problem in the past has been that my carb and protein intake wasn't in a good balance with the fat intake. I will try to keep it close to a 40/30/30 and see how that does for me over the next month.