Day 4: still higher than surgery day...

Options
segwayne
segwayne Posts: 52 Member
So... My surgery was last Wednesday at about 2pm. Got home from the hospital around Friday at 5 or so. I expected the pain, and I expected the post-surgery "gassy" weight gain, but I'm just curious....

4 days in and I'm still above the pre-surgery (after 2 week protein diet) weight. Only a pound or two, but still.

I had to go full gastric bypass for other reasons, but I'm wondering how fast you saw results after yours?

Wayne

Replies

• eric5150ii
    eric5150ii Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I know they had me on a lot of saline the day of and day after surgery - about 5 bags - my doc told me one bag of that was about 2 lbs. So until all of that is out of your system....
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal. They pump you full of fluids during your hospital stay. It will come off. Everyone is different. Some people have huge losses the first month. In my case, I didn't lose anything for the first four weeks, then it started to come off.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Just be patient. You have had a lot done to your body. Inflammation can cause your body to retain fluid, and combine that with all the fluid in the IV they gave you in the hospital and you'll have lots of extra water weight. Honestly, I didn't even bother weighing myself for the first two weeks or so. Was too busy trying to drown myself in water and protein powder....
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh until my first post op appointment for this very reason. Between the IV fluids and inflammation you'll not get an accurate read anyway. Even now I stick to once per week. Try not to focus on the number on the scale. It will make you crazy. Do what you know you need to do. Get your protein and supplements and move more. It WILL come off!
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I gained about 20 pounds during the week that I was in the hospital for my surgery even though I wasn't eating they were feeding me fluids intravenously. It took about 2 or 3 weeks for that to come off then I lost pretty steadily about 2 or pounds per week for the rest of the 1st year after surgery. I wouldn't worry about how much you are losing at a time and try to only weigh yourself once per week. You will lose weight no matter what you do even if you ate ice cream as much as you could (not that you could if you wanted to at this stage). :) Get the protein in as well as the vitamins and as much water as you can drink you will soon be amazed at the transformation.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 lbs in hospital. It took a couple weeks to come down - swelling, water retention, etc. Don't worry about the scale these first few weeks - it will catch up :)
  • SouthernBellepa
    Options
    I gained 10lbs of fluid in hospital also.. It is normal.. I freaked out when I came home and had gained but it will go away and you start to lose
  • trannaisfat
    trannaisfat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am almost 6 wks post op. I havn't lost any weight for a week. Is this normal ? How many calories should i be eating. I'm lucky if i get between 500-700 calories in a day
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was only in the hospital overnight and went home the morning after my RNY. I was 212 right before their surgery and one week later was 209. Not much difference there. Didn't stay on i.v. fluids but about 12 hours, so I didn't have the excuse of a lot of fluids. Plus, take in account that I am a type I diabetic and my pump was disconnected and hospitals never dose insulin properly so my blood sugars were over 500. I think it's normal not to lose, or to even show a gain, for the first couple weeks post surgery. Patience is definitely a virtue and pays off.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am almost 6 wks post op. I havn't lost any weight for a week. Is this normal ? How many calories should i be eating. I'm lucky if i get between 500-700 calories in a day

I think the calories you are getting are normal--I didn't get over that until about 5 months post op. I think my diary is open. For me, the important things at that point were the water and the protein amounts. I believe that I got up to 1000 around 9 months post op. My surgery was 9/27/12. You're welcome to check out my old diary postings.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Yes it's normal.