This is my first "group"

Options
k_nicole87
k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
I decided to join a group or two and when I scrolled and saw this group I thought, "hey, that's me!" The last time I lost weight (before going on a binge and gaining it all back and then some) I had lost 17lbs and had barely had a preservative pass my lips in months. Suddenly I fell off the wagon and here I am nearing 200lbs which is a heartbreaking milestone to think about, kinda like the idea of turning 40 (I'm 27 and no offense to those who are 40, you know what I mean.)

Am I the only one who gets bothered when you finally get around to the "healthy lifestyle" again after being away for a while and people try coaching you at every turn? And you're like "I've done this before, just because I haven't eaten healthy in a while doesn't mean I don't know how."

Replies

• couchbunny
    couchbunny Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is the first group I've actively participated in, does that count? ;)

Welcome, k_nicole87 and hello to everyone!

I haven't ever had someone try to coach me, I think I kind of have the opposite problem feeling like I'm all alone sometimes. There's something to be said for self-sufficiency, but a little encouragement goes a long way too! I can see your situation as frustrating, but try to remind yourself that at the end of the day they want to help because they care. Next time someone tries, tell them you appreciate their suggestions, but would prefer a hug. ;)
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    This is the first group I've actively participated in, does that count? ;)

Welcome, k_nicole87 and hello to everyone!

I haven't ever had someone try to coach me, I think I kind of have the opposite problem feeling like I'm all alone sometimes. There's something to be said for self-sufficiency, but a little encouragement goes a long way too! I can see your situation as frustrating, but try to remind yourself that at the end of the day they want to help because they care. Next time someone tries, tell them you appreciate their suggestions, but would prefer a hug. ;)

Thanks for the advice! The situation in particular is regarding a coworker who is on some strict zero wheat diet or something. He talks about it non-stop so naturally I didn't mention anything about my lifestyle to him and one day he came into my office and saw me eating a rice cake and just would not stop telling me how wheat is a poison to the body ( :grumble: ) and yadda yadda until I just couldn't listen to him coaching me anymore.
  • JWebb2222
    JWebb2222 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is my first group. I go on the site for weeks and then just blow it off. I'm turning 45 this year, I did not take offense to your comment, and considering how fit I was when I turned 40 I am at a mental low right now. That pic is of me in Vegas at 40 YO. I hope to encourage you all and hope to get some back to keep me on track. I love to workout hard so if anyone wants any advice or where to find kick butt workouts let me know and I'll give you my 2 cents. only if you want to hear it though. Counting calories is a downer but it did make me only eat 1/2 of the roll that came with my lunch. baby steps.
  • donniesaurous
    donniesaurous Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This is the third time I'm losing the weight, the third time I've hit the 200 mark, and you get to the level when it hits you, all those slip ups and binges and 'one can't hurt' come back and slap you in the face!

I've felt both sides, encouragement and lecturing and in general I take both with a smile on my face!

The hardest bit of my rollercoaster ride is when you're doing well, but actually you do want to have a small bite of cake or chocolate to help you get through a hard day is the ''ooh are you sure you should be eating that? I thought you were on a diet?''

yes I am on a diet, but I'm watching the calories and this milky-way is only 110cals!!!
  • Okiedokiez
    Okiedokiez Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is my first group as well, I joined two groups yesterday. I've used the calorie counter on and off for about a year. This is the first time I've logged in consistently, tracking my calories and exercise. 33 days, hoping to keep it going this time. Roller coaster, yes that's me! But I've made a lot of good changes in the past 33 days that I'm happy with and I've learned that social support has been very helpful to me. So that's why I joined the group, we can do this! :wink:
  • JWebb2222
    JWebb2222 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Okalaniz - thanks for the inspiration. I am trying to read other people's posts to help keep me on track. you're doing good!
  • Okiedokiez
    Okiedokiez Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Okalaniz - thanks for the inspiration. I am trying to read other people's posts to help keep me on track. you're doing good!

We got this!!!