reaching out

Options
Silvercivic
Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
I finally joined this group last week- so glad it exists!

I *know* all the advice, but I feel like I need to hear it, and have it be directed at me.

Here's the good: I exercise 6 times per week and feel STRONG, pre-log my food and eat relatively well. (fruits, veggies, proteins, good balance, account for yummy treats, no soda... normal people stuff). I have a great support system, 3 kids under 5 and a fabulous hubby, a nice part-time job, good work-life balance- I'm a happy person, and life is good!

Here's what sucks: I've also been binge eating very very regularly. 2-3 times per week. My binges happen either while my kids are napping, if I'm home alone, or right after dinner. A binge for me is an hour or two of consuming thousands of calories. I tend to do it to relieve stress.

I'm at the point where I'm worried that I don't care enough anymore. The binges feel so good in the moment that the idea of letting them go is not very fun. I say the words "I want to stop binging", "I want to lose 15 pounds", "I want to fit into my clothes"- but I'm not following through.

My 3rd kid is 5 months old and I still breast feed her, so I understand that there are some hormonal things going on with me. But that shouldn't be an excuse to say I can't stop binge eating.

Maybe if someone out there tells me what to do I will listen. Also, just the act of writing this is helping me.

THANKS! :)

Replies

• SunshineGirl0518
    Options
    I felt myself breath a sigh of relief reading your post. Just knowing someone felt the same as I do is comforting. We're in the similar boats. Great life, great hubby, young kiddos, but the urge to binge is so strong. It hits me mostly in the late afternoon when the exhaustion of being home with kiddos, their bickering, the pressure I put on myself, and loneliness of no neighbors who are moms to commune with during the tough late afternoon and I binge. I began a horrible cycle in December when I reached my goal weight. For the past 4 months I have yo-yoed up and down 5-10 lbs at a time every couple of weeks. I can't overcome this on my own and feel like I too need to reach out.
  • jberk4
    jberk4 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Same boat! I don't have kids, but I have that same exact behavior and it is incredibly frustrating. :(
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. Yours seems like a textbook case of binge-eating disorder - I (and many others here) am familiar with the scenario and how frustrating it can be! You can be otherwise logical and healthy, but once you are in the "binge trance", you are helpless.

Here's my advice (and I am going through a cycle myself...in fact, the first relapse in >decade)

1. Speak with your doctor. It is always good to have a medical opinion.

2. Come and chat with us :) I find that perspectives help. While many or us are still battlijng the challenge, collectively we also have lots of good info.

3. Do not set a big goal like "this is the last binge". The all-or-none approach often backfires.

4. Allow yourself that "eating alone" time. But instead of binge-ing, try to make it a treat. Like, look forward to having that piece of chocolate cake with a nice cup of tea when your kid is napping. Technically not a solution, for me it helps to incorporate indulgence in a controlled manner. But not sooo controlled (like a strict diet) that will end up driving me back to binge-eating.

5. Remember that this did not happen overnight..and will not go away overnight. Think of this as a journey of discovering, finding the right mix of solutions, winning it, managing it etc. Patience really pays off. Any teeny little victory must be celebrated.

6.You already work out, so I know you have a good dosage of endorphins on a regular basis.

It may be hormones, it may be classic BED, ....I think it is great to recognize it, seek out both professional and social support..and take it a bit at a time.

Take care!! And congrats on your little bundle of joy!