Receding gums--Vitamin C

Options
littleandysmom
littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
I've noticed this last year that my gums have really started receding......especially my front teeth. My teeth were also aching and just didn't feel right. I was thinking that it might be due to my age, 48, and my hormones. I have my teeth cleaned 4 times a year and the only thing that my hygienist recommends is to see a periodontist. (Right now we are paying for our youngest son's braces and he just had dental surgery so I'm not too thrilled about spending money on my teeth!)

Well, I've tried many things such as coconut oil pulling which is supposed to pull the bacteria out and an added plus is that it whitens your teeth. Plus taking many different vitamins including CQ10. Nothing was really helping.

A couple of weeks ago, I read about Vitamin C deficiency and how this might be what's going on. Also found out that the tea that I drink everyday was not helping. So I stopped drinking tea and I've been taking large doses of Vit C. (About 4,000-6,000 mg a day) Really thought that taking that much would totally mess up my digestive system but it hasn't. Also my teeth have stopped aching and my gums look healthier.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what home remedies worked for you??

Replies

• lmjblues
    lmjblues Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I personally have NOT experienced this yet... But, I'm interested in what others have to say. I am learning that this "process" that we ladies all go through does have some direct ties to our hormones and our vitamin/mineral levels in our bodies. So, it does make sense that Vitamin C deficiency could play a part in what you are experiencing.

Keep us posted on how well it works for ya!!

Thanks!
  • Abbey2Lynn
    Abbey2Lynn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I switched to a Philips Sonicare toothbrush which was recommended to help with receding gums and the resultant painful teeth. My teeth stopped hurting and my gum recession seems not to be progressing.