My daily glasses of wine

Options
124»

Replies

• liannap
    liannap Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Easter 2014 over:
    No alcohol day #1 - sipping a diet ginger ale while preparing dinner ...
    No alcohol day #2 - had a large mug of ginger tea at 5.00pm when we returned from the movies and I truly forgot about a drink - how good is that?! It's obviously all in the mind.
    No alcohol day#3 - decorated the Dutch Club tonight with a bunch of people. Afterwards we had a drink - ginger ale for me. Extraordinary.
    Day #4 - big party in the Dutch Club. Diet coke. Came home, relieved that it was over and I am now enjoying a G& diet T.
    Day #5 - big day at Dutch Club again where I drank water; now home with G&T
    Day #6 - Sunday: one G&T and 1 white wine.
    Very happy about this week. Now heading for another alcohol free 4 days!
    I am starting to loose weight.....
  • ajfarrell
    Options
    New to the group ... but these are my people :) I have to cut back on wine to save calories. Want to lose 20 pounds, and the scale is not budging. Has anyone had success with weight loss after cutting back the alcohol?
  • liannap
    Options
    New to the group ... but these are my people :) I have to cut back on wine to save calories. Want to lose 20 pounds, and the scale is not budging. Has anyone had success with weight loss after cutting back the alcohol?
    Hello AJFarrell and welcome to the group!
    I have not heard from the others but I can tell you that today is my 9th or 10th day that I am not drinking during the week and only a minimum (of what I used to drink) in the weekend. I thought it would be a struggle: in the past I failed as many times as I tried. This time I am hanging in there and the scales are going down. I am eating the same balanced food but I have cut back on alcohol. This morning I noticed that my tummy is going.
    I have found a non- alcoholic drink that I (now) enjoy during the times that I used to drink a glass of red (or two or three) a day while cooking.
    I am reading a lot about "drinking" to get a better understanding.
    And is all this worth it? I bet y': when I measured my tummy this morning it appeared to have lost 1,5cm since 22 April and I am more than happy with this result.
    Good Luck, stay in touch.
    Cheers!
    Lianna
  • liannap
    Options
    Easter 2014 over:
    No alcohol day #1 - sipping a diet ginger ale while preparing dinner ...
    No alcohol day #2 - had a large mug of ginger tea at 5.00pm when we returned from the movies and I truly forgot about a drink - how good is that?! It's obviously all in the mind.
    No alcohol day#3 - decorated the Dutch Club tonight with a bunch of people. Afterwards we had a drink - ginger ale for me. Extraordinary.
    Day #4 - big party in the Dutch Club. Diet coke. Came home, relieved that it was over and I am now enjoying a G& diet T.
    Day #5 - big day at Dutch Club again where I drank water; now home with G&T
    Day #6 - Sunday: one G&T and 1 white wine.
    Very happy about this week. Now heading for another alcohol free 4 days!
    I am starting to loose weight.....
    Day#7 & Day #8 - no alcohol. We had a meeting yesterday evening and everyone had a beer while I enjoyed my Schweppes diet ginger ale. It feels as if I am now in the routine of not drinking during the week. Admittedly, I sometimes, around 5pm feel like a drink but I either start something or I drink a glass of water; at 6pm it's time for my daily ginger ale. I so hope that the good feeling and progress will continue ....
  • Lori_Wilkerson
    Lori_Wilkerson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've cut my alcohol by more than half, and have finally broken through this weight loss plateau. Yay! It makes me want to drink even less, which I think will be easier now.
  • liannap
    Options
    I've cut my alcohol by more than half, and have finally broken through this weight loss plateau. Yay! It makes me want to drink even less, which I think will be easier now.
    Exactly! Friday night: i had three drinks, starting at 6.30pm rather than 4pm and I tell you, it was enough, more than enough as I just don't wNt to drink any more. Also, after my third drink, which I did not finish, I started to crave for chocolate which I normally ate (lots of) on Friday nights.
    I am so happy and, I am so happy that you are going through the same positive experience.
    I am so surprised and so relieved that it doesn't take the enormous effort I expected it would take. All good.
    Stick to it and we'll get there.
    Cheers
    Lianna
  • ajfarrell
    ajfarrell Posts: 3
    Options
    This is all very encouraging. My weekends are my "problem times." When I am in the routine of working out during the week, it's easier to resist the urge for a glass of liquid relaxation. But always a struggle. :) We shall persevere!
  • liannap
    Options
    This is all very encouraging. My weekends are my "problem times." When I am in the routine of working out during the week, it's easier to resist the urge for a glass of liquid relaxation. But always a struggle. :) We shall persevere!
    Another encouraging update: I have seriously cut back since Easter Monday which is not that long ago. Yesterday evening, we had friends over and we enjoyed a leisurely dinner. Without thinking I drank more than I intended to: I had to stop half way my third glass of white wine as I genuinely felt unwell due to the alcohol intake. In other words, if you can see yourself through the first two weeks of not drinking during the week and only a couple (=2) on Friday, Sat and Sunday, it becomes so much easier to cut back in a relatively short time. In between the two glasses during the weekends, I drink top quality sparkling water in a nice glass. I honestly never believed that I could do it and that I would be writing about it as I am now ....
    Cheers!
    Lianna
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Since my birthday in April, I have fallen off the wagon bigtime. No such thing as I'll just have one glass here.... Because hubs buys his beer at Dan Murphys and has to drive some distance to get it, he was getting me a dozen dry whites. Well if you open a bottle you may as well finish it, right? he only drinks red on occasion.... I KNOW I can go without= I have in the past done FebFast, Dry July, and Ocsober just to prove to myself I could last the distance ( Febfast did not last this year though, gave up after a week and feel so annoyed with myself. Blamed the stress on my elderly Mum being in hospital, but really we can always find something to blame. I am regaining my muffin top and a few people have commented that they thought I had put on weight so it is time to do something about it. Seems that I need to have NO wine at all, I will make exceptions for our anniversary, my Mum's 90th birthday, Hubs birthday, Father's day, but only on those days and only 2 or 3 glasses at most.
    I will never leave MFP, to do so would be the end of my accountability for sure.
    Thank you for starting this group, it shows that there are a lot of people out there that want to cut down. I am also thinking of joining another free site that I saw in a magazine article recently, this lady joined as she was drinking at least a bottle of wine a day, it is a support group for people to cut out, or cut back on their drinking, she has since lost 18 kilos. It is called
    https://www.hellosundaymorning.org/ Worth a look as they also have blogs too and between this group and that one we will get a lot of support. Tomorrow ( after Mother's Day today ( I WILL be having a few drinks today- hubs has organized dinner and a bottle of Cab Sav) , I intend to weigh myself ( something I have been avoiding) and resetting my weight, then I am going to literally " pull my head in" and get back to being serious about losing weight. I wish you all well on your own personal journey. hugs!
  • liannap
    Options
    Since my birthday in April, I have fallen off the wagon bigtime. No such thing as I'll just have one glass here.... Because hubs buys his beer at Dan Murphys and has to drive some distance to get it, he was getting me a dozen dry whites. Well if you open a bottle you may as well finish it, right? he only drinks red on occasion.... I KNOW I can go without= I have in the past done FebFast, Dry July, and Ocsober just to prove to myself I could last the distance ( Febfast did not last this year though, gave up after a week and feel so annoyed with myself. Blamed the stress on my elderly Mum being in hospital, but really we can always find something to blame. I am regaining my muffin top and a few people have commented that they thought I had put on weight so it is time to do something about it. Seems that I need to have NO wine at all, I will make exceptions for our anniversary, my Mum's 90th birthday, Hubs birthday, Father's day, but only on those days and only 2 or 3 glasses at most.
    I will never leave MFP, to do so would be the end of my accountability for sure.
    Thank you for starting this group, it shows that there are a lot of people out there that want to cut down. I am also thinking of joining another free site that I saw in a magazine article recently, this lady joined as she was drinking at least a bottle of wine a day, it is a support group for people to cut out, or cut back on their drinking, she has since lost 18 kilos. It is called
    https://www.hellosundaymorning.org/ Worth a look as they also have blogs too and between this group and that one we will get a lot of support. Tomorrow ( after Mother's Day today ( I WILL be having a few drinks today- hubs has organized dinner and a bottle of Cab Sav) , I intend to weigh myself ( something I have been avoiding) and resetting my weight, then I am going to literally " pull my head in" and get back to being serious about losing weight. I wish you all well on your own personal journey. hugs!
    Hi SandyAnnP, it is good to have you in our group. I find that being a member of this group really keeps me on the straight and narrow. I don't talk it on our normal page but in this group I have said many times how I am succeeding in not drinking during the week. I started this on Easter Monday - just fed up with sticking to good healthy food and then washing the results away with late afternoon G&T's and wine while cooking. There are days that I find it a bit harder than other days but I always try to find something to do until the urge is over. In the weekends I'll drink 1 G&T, the second one gets poured but never finished; two wines during dinner and that's it. Shape of tummy and hips are definitively changing, which is encouraging. I have read a lot about the subject and I now know that I have a psychological (and not a physical) attraction to alcohol: a celebration, end of a (stressful) day, time of day (cooking with wine) etc. Anyway, it is getting better all the time and I am pleased and proud that I can stick to the discipline.
    You take care. Speak soon: either in this group or on our usual page. Enjoy Mother's Day. Cheers, Lianna
    PS: thanks for that website link you shared with the group: I'll pay a visit today. Will let you know.....
  • SandyAnnP
    Options
    Day One and I didn't really miss my wine. What I had here has all been consumed, and I told hubs not to buy me any more. I will buy when and if the occasion arises.
    I weighed myself this morning and although I had not gained as much as I expected, given how I am feeling, it was still a considerable amount and I know it was not from the food.
    I have reset my weight and starting from 0 loss agin, won't weigh myself for a couple of weeks. Did walk my little dog as usual then a quite brisk 30 minute walk by myself. It used to be 60 minutes but I am having to work my way back up to that fitness, the sciatica that had disappeared when I lost all my weight is rearing it's ugly head from time to time.
    I have to keep in mind too that I have very high BP despite taking medication and it did not reduce a great deal with weight los, it is just me, I guess.
    Anyway I realize this is not a race, i just want to get back to being kind to my body, by getting slimmer and fitter, NOT by being overly kind and finding any excuse to celebrate with a glass of wine.
    Here's to day 2 tomorrow.
    Wednesday I always go out with my friend i used to work with, we go to the movies then lunch. I buy her a drink as she always comes and picks me up as I don't drive. I will be quite happy to buy her a chardy if she wants one but I will have Coke Zero or Saxby's diet Ginger Beer which I quite like. :)
    I was surprised tonight too when hubs said he had decided to forgo his 2 stubbies of beer before dinner. :) It will do him good as well. :)
  • SandyAnnP
    Options
    Beginning of day 4 and have not worried or even thought about wine much. Went out for lunch and movies yesterday, sometimes have a chardy with my friend but we both had diet ginger beer. Have proved to myself that alcohol makes me retain a LOT of fluid as I am getting up 5 or 6 times at night to go to the bathroom... Had intended to perhaps have a glass or two of red on Sundays when we have our special steak night but thinking of buying a bottle of non alcoholic red from the supermarket and just having 2 of them... Determined to get this weight back off, should NOT have left it this long when I could feel I was gaining...
  • liannap
    Options
    Beginning of day 4 and have not worried or even thought about wine much. Went out for lunch and movies yesterday, sometimes have a chardy with my friend but we both had diet ginger beer. Have proved to myself that alcohol makes me retain a LOT of fluid as I am getting up 5 or 6 times at night to go to the bathroom... Had intended to perhaps have a glass or two of red on Sundays when we have our special steak night but thinking of buying a bottle of non alcoholic red from the supermarket and just having 2 of them... Determined to get this weight back off, should NOT have left it this long when I could feel I was gaining...
    Good One Sandy! I once tried non alcoholic wine and it was better than I expected. But, now the weekend is here so I'll have a G&T or two tonight - with diet tonic less calories than wine. Whatever we do: we'll get the weight off. Enjoy the weekend.