Coping Strategies

couchbunny
couchbunny Posts: 11 Member
So, we're all here because we're on the same crazy up and down ride and trying not to fall off, right? Still, it happens.

If I splurge on something and go over my limits, I find that it's easier to keep it from turning into a complete 'off the rails' scenario if I sit down and plan out what I'm going to eat the next day and how it will all be within my goals.

What do you do to get back on track?

Replies

• Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    First, I have to tell myself, repeatedly, not to freak out over it. I have found the more I stress about having gone over the more I feel depressed and more likely to keep eating over the amount needed for that day. Second, I take a walk, even if all I do is provide more proof I'm crazy by manically pacing in my small living room. This helps me to calm back down and gives me an endorphin boost from the activity. If it is too late to do any kind of activity I'll soak for a bit. Basically, I do things to get me back into the right frame of mind.

When facing something I am very tempted with, but I know will put me in a bind overall I engage my other senses on other things. I'll grab a scented candle, not a food smelling one, but like Linen Sky or something and breathe deep of the scent. I'll put on lotion and focus on the feeling of the lotion on my skin, and most of mine are good for aromatherapy as well. Take in the scenery, even if it's a fake one in a magazine, just look at it and describe to myself what I see as if I am going to see that image for the very last time. For hearing I'll put on something music wise for what I'm trying to achieve with my mood in that moment. For the big one, taste, it is usually the taste we crave so I keep on hand sugar free caramel apple Werther's and let it melt instead of crunching it down to nothing or use a strong mint, peppermint also curbs appetite.

These are some of the things I do.
  • donniesaurous
    donniesaurous Posts: 176 Member
    My cravings tend to hit at work where I'm not at liberty to brush my teeth or plat my hair like I would at home,

but I've been and ex smoker for 4 years and 3 months with no slip ups.

so I've started treating junk like the new cigarette, close your eyes breath deep and count backwards from 20, if the craving is still there do it again until they've gone away, if that doesn't work go for a walk around.

a nurse told me once that most cravings and an impulse that you can chose not to act on, in cave man days the impulse would be run (or fight) but everything is so safe most of the time we don't get the run impulse, but the eat impulse is still there as eating makes us happy, we need to balance it out by choosing not to eat when you don't need the calories and finding a different way to be happy.
  • billhilly1968
    billhilly1968 Posts: 75 Member
    I write in my journal or do a crossword puzzle. I find going for a walk is soothing too. Anything to remove myself from food-definitely not watching tv. If the cravings still are there I get some flavored water or gum. Sometimes I give in and take a bite or two of what I am craving so it gets out of my system.