Diabetes Self-Management Article

Options
bdubya55
bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
Updated March 19, 2014
Your Diabetes Management Plan-Why It Pays to Have One.
by Michael Weiss and Martha Funnell, MS, RN, CDE

Whether you have had diabetes for years or are newly diagnosed, you know that dealing with this condition can be a challenge. For one thing, diabetes never goes away. Although there are numerous medicines and other therapies available for treating diabetes, none of them are cures. Diabetes is always present, and almost everything you do, including ordinary activities like eating or taking a walk, affects your blood glucose level.

Copy and paste the link below in to your browzer for the full article.

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/general-diabetes-and-health-issues/your_diabetes_management_plan/1/

Replies

• Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article. It helps put into words what we already know. It also helps to explain why it is so hard to give advice because what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

Although Bdubya I need to give you kudos early when I was getting somewhat frustrated you suggested washing my hands prior to every test. I have taken that advice to heart and always at least use a alcohol swab prior to testing. I know that has helped eliminate the wild swings I was seeing in my testing. Don't get me wrong I wash my hands with soap and water several times a day, but it was a real Eye opener when I tested after peeling and orange and my level was way over 250. I immediately retested on a different finger after washing and drying my hands and my BG was down to 118 . Thanks again for the advice.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hey there Al, glad you found this article helpful in addition to my earlier suggestion.

I firmly believe knowledge is this best tool we have when managing this condition we share. When initially diagnosed, as others in the 80's-there wasn't the many useful online diabetic resources available back then-that are present today. For this new age of internet technology, I'm grateful.