Looking to start eating more; looking for encouragement/info

Options
mshea62
mshea62 Posts: 7 Member
Hello,

I'm 18 and haven't been using M.F.P. fully lately; I tend to track throughout the day and then eat at night and not log all my snacking.
I'm 5'4'', somewhere between 140 and 143 pounds, and am pretty active, I think (I'm not sure, because I'm a student, so I sit still most days, but I also run and do Baptiste power yoga most days).

I've fallen into some pretty compulsive, negative eating habits over the past few months, in an effort to drop a few pounds. I've finally, after a ridiculously long time, realized that I just keep 'losing' and gaining the same few pounds over and over again and am restricting my calories way too much. I've been eating 1200 calories, sometimes a lot fewer, sometimes a lot more. Considering that I exercise and am still a teenager, I think this is probably too few. I have calculated my BMR and TDEE, but am having a hard time 'believing' those numbers. I've settled into a lousy habit of restricting calories throughout the day like crazy, basically trying to see how long I can go without eating "a lot," and then eating tons at night--not technically binging, because the volume isn't great enough and I'm not out of control, but not too dissimilar. I'm seeing a therapist for anxiety, and she and I agree that this restrictive eating is both a byproduct of anxiety and is worsening the anxiety. I'm a very logical, rational person, and would still like to lose a few pounds, but would like to do so in a healthier way. Over the past week or so I have upped my calories more consistently (in the past, I would have the odd weekend when I would eat tons, and even then, at the end of it, I would notice a small weight loss), and the number climbing up a few pounds on the scale is freaking me out a little bit. I HAVE read the post on here about what to expect when beginning this process, how to make the mental shift, etc., and it helped, but I guess I'm just looking for anecdotes from people with similar stories about the first few weeks of this, how to know if you are just gaining weight, etc.

Many thanks, and apologies for the length of this! Although at this point my relationship with eating more is a little bit fraught, I am committed to making this work, and getting my metabolism, mind, and body healthy.

Replies

• sarahorange55
    Options
    Hello and welcome

Certainly I wished that I had found this place at 18 as then I wouldn't have had 20yrs of low cal crap!!! So well done for making that decision early on - certainly more conscious than I was at uni!!

Anyway I started eating at 1941 for a couple of weeks and I did add in 7lbs almost straight away however the last 3 weeks at eating at 2013 I have lost those sale 7lbs and my TDEE is actually at 2400!!! So not even there yet

Mentally its the hardest things those weeks where you put on and feel bloated and huge do go away quicker than you think - about 2/3 weeks for me - which considering the 20 yrs I felt was pretty fast!

As soon as you start to feel a shift not just in weight but in how you feel - more energy, better sleeping, less mood swings not so damn cold all the time! then you don't concentrate on weight side of things! But its hard don't get me wrong - but life is better on the other side honestly!

Good luck and we are all here to help!

Sarah
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome and great job seeking a maintainable lifestyle (and also for getting that therapy...)!

The first weeks are definitely the hardest, but if you take it nice and slow, and gradually work your way up towards your TDEE (rather than jumping up there all at once) it will be easier (both mentally and physically...) Your body will have time to adapt and adjust to the increased calorie intake, and hopefully, by doing it slowly, you will avoid that initial jump on the scale that so many see (and find frightening!) as well as that bloated/overfull feeling.

One thing you will hopefully experience through the process is not only increased energy and a feeling of wellness, but also less desire to binge and go through those cycles you were describing. Personally, I found that once I was giving my body adequate nutrition, and not depriving myself, that desire to binge and stuff my face with every cookie I saw went away. I found myself to be full and satisfied and not constantly ravenously hungry. If I wanted a "treat", I had the calories to be able to enjoy one, guilt-free!

I would suggest just relaxing and "enjoying the journey". Don't get overly wrapped up in "the numbers". Don't stress over every single calorie eaten and burned, as many tend to become obsessive over it. Just make lots of healthy, whole food choices, move your body (but without the endless hours of crazy cardio...) and if you are interested, try incorporating some strength training.

You are young, and it is great that you are trying to take control now, and make some healthier choices for your life. The beginning part of this process is definitely the hardest, but once you get over those first few weeks, you will begin to see and feel the benefits. Relax and enjoy the process (and feel free to add me as a friend, if you would like support along the way...)
  • mshea62
    Options
    Thank you! I really appreciate hearing your experience. This process is intimidating, but I'm excited. Thanks again.
  • mshea62
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I still need to work on filling out my MFP diary fully; I do keep a full list of what I eat, but I don't always log it all, as I know the calorie counts of most things and just keep a list on my phone. But I've definitely been eating more lately--probably closer to 2,000 calories. My body was starting to really feel the ill-effects of an over-restrictive diet. Super irregular period, always lightheaded, horrible stomachaches...I have to say, I've gone up five pounds in the past week or so. I know some of that is water, bloating, etc., but it is a little scary, frankly. I am trying to remind myself that feeling healthy is the most important thing. My running has already improved--since eating more I set a new 5k P.R. and then beat it two days later.

How long does it usually take for this initial weight gain to go away?
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    First off, welcome, and congrats on the PR in running!! :drinker:
    The bloating feeling/water weight is different for everyone. Sometimes more than two weeks, sometimes just a few days. Eat your fiber and drink your water; it'll help!

I can't stress enough the importance of accurate logging, though. Once you get into the habit of eating to nourish your body, consider tracking everything on MFP. That way you can track your macros and accurately track calories. Sometimes we try to "overestimate" by two or three hundred calories, and you'll want to really be eating as much as you think you are during this time of mental and physical reset.

I wish I also had found this group when I was 18! I would have been a lot more relaxed during sophomore year at college :laugh:
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I still need to work on filling out my MFP diary fully; I do keep a full list of what I eat, but I don't always log it all, as I know the calorie counts of most things and just keep a list on my phone. But I've definitely been eating more lately--probably closer to 2,000 calories. My body was starting to really feel the ill-effects of an over-restrictive diet. Super irregular period, always lightheaded, horrible stomachaches...I have to say, I've gone up five pounds in the past week or so. I know some of that is water, bloating, etc., but it is a little scary, frankly. I am trying to remind myself that feeling healthy is the most important thing. My running has already improved--since eating more I set a new 5k P.R. and then beat it two days later.

How long does it usually take for this initial weight gain to go away?

When coming from a restrictive diet, that initial weight gain is totally to be expected. Your glycogen stores are being refilled, and with that comes water. You are also eating a larger volume of food. That food weighs something, and it is sitting inside your body. This weight will show up on the scale, but is nothing to worry about - it is often inevitable as the body adjusts and adapts.

That bloated/overfull feeling can be different for everyone, and usually depends on the rate at which you are increasing your calories as well as the types of foods you are eating. If you have raised your calories quickly (not really recommended..) that feeling may take longer to go away. The slower you work your way through the process, the more subtle those feelings may be.