Vegetables

Options
kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
Are you all eating a lot of veggies? I find I can go a whole day and not touch anything put egg,cheese & meat. I've never been a huge veggie lover but do eat them but now its like I don't want to use up my carb allotment (5% carbs) for the day in case I want a treat later.

I've mainly been sticking to broccoli, cauliflower & some spinach, what about you guys? what are your go to veggies and how much are you eating?

Replies

• lorarte
    lorarte Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm eating lettuce, cucumber, spring onion (scallions), small amounts of diced onion, cauliflower and leek but that's what I have in the fridge this week. I need to buy more avocado and some spinach tomorrow when I go shopping. :-)
  • kristafb
    Options
    I eat a ton of avocado but I consider that a fat :)
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    My carb typically all come from veggies, unless I'm on a flaxseed muffin kick or want a wrap. I love roasted brussels sprouts, and I also enjoy spinach and kale salads, roasted or sauteed broccoli, mushrooms in any form, and cauliflower used to bulk up other foods. The brussels sprouts, I think, are the highest carb in all of those, but I eat them almost daily. I also eat tomatoes, but I know those are technically a fruit. I love bean sprouts, but those are a little too high carb for how much I want.

The carbs in veggies shouldn't scare you, though. It's not a waste of carbs, as these veggie help you reach all those hard-to-attain micronutrient goals. If it's that you don't like veggies all too much but want to try and open your mind to them, you can always use them to bulk other foods up or in creative ways, like cauliflower fried rice or low carb lasagna with zucchini "noodles". I like chopping up cauliflower and sauteeing it with mushrooms and seasonings of my choice. I then add a bit of butter and cream cheese and it melts into this delicious and rich sauce. Absolutely amazing.
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I make sure to Always get veggies in everyday. I need the fiber! :) I was worried at first that I wouldn't be able to eat as much of them going Keto, but I have been able to keep them in my diet. I eat a lot of broccoli, kale, spinach, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, and zucchini. I try to make sure that at least half my plate at dinner is veggies! I am a Veggie lover though so it may just be me. My treats usually consist of Fat Bombs so they don't have more than 1 to 2 net carbs. This gives me plenty of room for veggies!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    [...] I don't want to use up my carb allotment (5% carbs) for the day in case I want a treat later.

You're doing it wrong. Your carb allotment is not for high-glycemic treats. It is for vegetables and incidental carbs in meats (like in liver). You don't have a 5% allowance for sugar, bread, or other stuff like that. That's stuff you should not be eating any more, full stop. If you don't want to eat the vegetables, you just are under your carb goal for the day. It doesn't mean you can fill it with junk.

If you don't like vegetables, you don't need to eat them. I rarely do. I recommend increasing the amount of organ meats (liver, heart, kidneys, etc.) that you eat, as well as sardines and other fish, to get the micronutrients you aren't going to get from veggies.

tl;dr: Yeah, two fun sized Snickers bars are 18g of carbs... but that doesn't mean you should be eating them if you are trying to do keto.

Edit: Looking through your food logs, I don't see anything immediately egregious. I see a bunch of keto-sweets and faux foods, but nothing that's straight bad. I'd still encourage you to transition away from that stuff. It's expensive, time-consuming, and complicates the whole thing. From time to time, I'll go out of my way to make something special like that. But, doing it every day would drive me bonkers.
  • kristafb
    Options
    I'm not eating sugar or breads at all. The only occasional sugar I get is in a chocolate almond butter I found (5 net carbs). I guess my idea of a treat is a keto friendly mug cake made with coconut or almond flour. I haven't even had a piece of fruit since March 1st. I make a lot of 'faux' potato things with cauliflower, like potato salad or mashed.

I wish it was easier to post photos on mfp so I could see what everyone's eating. I just need to shake up my meals a bit before boredom sets in.

Definitely not eating snickers frob :happy:
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    In addition to what you mentioned, I eat lettuce, mushrooms, cucumbers, and asparagus. I will eat tomatoes in my salads.
  • LilMamaBear125
    LilMamaBear125 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OMG... Snickers.... :frown:

Reading this post made me realize how lazy I've become on my veggies, as much as I love them. I wonder if that's why my weight loss has slowed a bit? Still losing, so maybe that's why I haven't given it much thought.

Krista, I see what you mean about shaking up your meals. I find myself there from time to time! Some Kindle books I often go back and forth to are Fat Fast Cookbook, Salads To Go, and Keto Living Cookbook. Even if I don't care much for a specific recipe itself, I'll be inspired to create something else that will pick me up out of my rut.

A huge family favorite - even with the munchkins - is parmesan roasted asparagus. YUM!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to Keto, and feel really nervous about making certain dishes that contain veggies. But I need too, because veggies are the greatest.

For instance, tonight, I am making chili and I'm considering skimping on the onions & tomatoes to cut carbs in it, but that's actually kind of stupid.
  • Shaselai
    Shaselai Posts: 151
    Options
    I like spinach, bokchoy, watercress. I usually have a "bunch" for lunch and dinner. I also take a dietary fiber gummy for 5g soluable fiber just in case. I havent had any problem with bowel movements or whatnot for not having enough fiber.

There really isnt a veggie that i am dying to eat while in this plan... I guess I do like potato stew but that would totally destroy my plan :p
  • kristafb
    Options
    Lilmamabear, thanks for those book suggestions, i'll check them out. I've been googling like crazy today & plan to try a couple of new keto friendly veggie recipes over the next couple of days.

I think my original concern came out of the fact that my weight has been stalled for a few weeks and when looking back over my food logs the one thing missing is veggies. they are sparse to say the least. I'm gonna add more over the next few days and see how it goes.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You're doing it wrong. Your carb allotment is not for high-glycemic treats. It is for vegetables and incidental carbs in meats (like in liver). You don't have a 5% allowance for sugar, bread, or other stuff like that. That's stuff you should not be eating any more, full stop. If you don't want to eat the vegetables, you just are under your carb goal for the day. It doesn't mean you can fill it with junk.

If you don't like vegetables, you don't need to eat them. I rarely do. I recommend increasing the amount of organ meats (liver, heart, kidneys, etc.) that you eat, as well as sardines and other fish, to get the micronutrients you aren't going to get from veggies.

tl;dr: Yeah, two fun sized Snickers bars are 18g of carbs... but that doesn't mean you should be eating them if you are trying to do keto.

Edit: Looking through your food logs, I don't see anything immediately egregious. I see a bunch of keto-sweets and faux foods, but nothing that's straight bad. I'd still encourage you to transition away from that stuff. It's expensive, time-consuming, and complicates the whole thing. From time to time, I'll go out of my way to make something special like that. But, doing it every day would drive me bonkers.

Organ meats! I was gazing longingly at liverwurst last night at the grocery store. I should have gotten it yes? And you just made me remember kipper snacks. Mmm! Thanks!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of avocado. I also love cauliflower. I probably eat those two a few times a week. One of my favorite things to make now is a loaded cauliflower bake with sour cream, mayo and some bacon bits. Yum!
  • kristafb
    Options
    I eat a lot of avocado. I also love cauliflower. I probably eat those two a few times a week. One of my favorite things to make now is a loaded cauliflower bake with sour cream, mayo and some bacon bits. Yum!

Oh that sounds delicious!! Is there a recipe??

Changed my lunch plans and added spinach & avocado :)
  • Shaselai
    Shaselai Posts: 151
    Options
    i love guacamole. I get the 3 tub lime tomato flavored at costco - the only complaint i have is the containers dont have a lid so i have to eat it fast!
  • kristafb
    Options
    I discovered a little trick to keep half an avocado from going brown. wet a paper towel & put it on top, molding it to the exposed flesh. put in the fridge. I had one stay perfectly good for 2 days like this. :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Organ meats! I was gazing longingly at liverwurst last night at the grocery store. I should have gotten it yes? And you just made me remember kipper snacks. Mmm! Thanks!

Oh yes! You should have gotten it. Liverwurst on cheese slices is amazing. Beef liver and onions fried in bacon drippings is amazing. It is also about a full day's worth of carbs. So worth it though.

Kippers have officially gotten me banned from the communal eating area at my work. When I eat them, I need to stay in my office. The rest of the people complained about the stench left in the trash can the last time I had kippers. They don't mind when I have sardines, but the kippers tend to be extra potent when it comes to smell.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Oh that sounds delicious!! Is there a recipe??

Sure, here it is. I can't take credit for it. I got it from a low carb site. Here's also a picture of what the finished product looks like.
    http://lusciouslowcarb.blogspot.com/2011/02/cheesy-bacon-potato-bake.html

Ingredients:

1/2 medium head of cauliflower, cleaned and separated into florets
    5 slices of thick cut bacon cooked and crumbled
    3 green onions including green tops, sliced finely
    4 oz cream cheese (I used Philadelphia)
    1/4 cup sour cream (I used Daisy)
    1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    salt and pepper to taste
    paprika to sprinkle on top, optional but adds a pretty color

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F
    2. In a large pot with half a cup of water, steam cauliflower until tender (about 15 minutes) Turn off the heat.
    3. This is a very important step please don't skip it! Drain the cauliflower and add back to the hot pot. There will still be residual heat on the pot and that heat will help dry the excess moisture from the cauliflower. Mash the cauliflower roughly. It's better if it's not completely smooth.
    4. Add the cream cheese to the cauliflower and stir until completely combined. Add the sour cream, green onion, bacon, and extra sharp cheddar. Mix until completely combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    5. Add the mashed cauliflower to an oven safe pan. And top with paprika.
    6. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until it is hot and bubbly. Serve.

This recipe yields 6 servings each with 3.1 Net carbs.
  • Deborah105
    Options
    I make this ^ delicious recipe switching out the bacon for browned sausage. Dangerous.
  • Deborah105
    Options
    Oh yes! You should have gotten it. Liverwurst on cheese slices is amazing. Beef liver and onions fried in bacon drippings is amazing. It is also about a full day's worth of carbs. So worth it though.

Kippers have officially gotten me banned from the communal eating area at my work. When I eat them, I need to stay in my office. The rest of the people complained about the stench left in the trash can the last time I had kippers. They don't mind when I have sardines, but the kippers tend to be extra potent when it comes to smell.
    They are very smelly!

I'm going to have to go back to the grocery store for some liverwurst. Mmm!