60 Days Without Period

Options
janlee_001
janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
Hi, I'm peri-menopausal and here is a question or two.

A few months ago I had my first long cycle between periods I called my doctor and was told that if I should go past 60 days to come in and they would give me a shot to start my period, because they didn't want me having too heavy a flow.

Question, if I do this how will I ever stop having menses.

BTW - I'm going through my second time it's been 46 days and I'm feeling fatigued and having cramps off and on.

Replies

• nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this shot. I've had several 60 + day cycles over the past couple of years. My doctor and I just chalk it up to the irregularity of perimenopause. If you're going to induce a period when you have a very long cycle, how will you know when you reach menopause and are not supposed to have a period at all? Also, there are many women on birth control pills who only have four periods a year. Their cycles are 90 days long and no one bats an eye.

I'm curious about what is in the shot. It must be a hormone but what kind?

As for the fatigue, you might be anemic. Have you had your iron levels checked? I don't know about the cramping, I just chalk it up to the circle of life.

I guess the more I think about it the more I think that you should ask your doctor a lot of questions starting with "A lot of women have 60+ day cycles in perimenopause. Is there a more specific reason beyond heavy periods that you don't want me to go that long between periods?"

Sorry for all the questions but I've honestly never heard of this before and I'm generally not a fan of manipulating my cycle by artificial means.
  • soywoman
    soywoman Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My period started getting wacky two years before I actually stopped getting my period. Anywhere from 45 days to 60 days to 24!! It was absolutely a mess. I think that is just part of the process.

I am not sure what the shot is all about....my doctor said is was a ride that had to be taken whether we liked it or not! AUGH!

Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've gone about 80 days a couple of times now. Then a period came. And it wasn't too heavy.

My most recent cycle was about 15 days longer than my old normal cycle.
    They now range from 15-80 days.

If it were me, I'd skip the shot, as it's probably high does SYNTHETIC hormones.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but do look at the side effects of the shot...(including weight gain)
  • janlee_001
    Options
    Thanks ladies - I think she was going to give me progresterone. I feel better knowing that others have gone longer than 60 days without and everything was fine.

I think I'm cramping because I'm going to get a period - just not sure when. :cry:
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have gone 60 days several times before without having a heavy period as a result. I have also had times where I have "felt like" my period was going to start - cramps, cravings, moodiness - and then nothing happens. Some people call these phantom periods? I would much rather skip a period or two, than have the doctor induce one!!!
  • lmjblues
    lmjblues Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm consistently 60 days or more between periods these days. I still get all the symptoms of getting a period around the time when I would normally get it, but it doesn't show up. When it does show up it's normal, if not less than normal usually. My doctor just said it's all part of the process.

Actually... early in my peri-menopause experience I would get my period and it would last for WEEKS!! Arrrggg. That was awful. Went to my doc multiple times and they'd check to make sure my iron levels were staying alright. (and they were) Did an ultrasound and uterine biopsy (NOT fun) to make sure there wasn't anything else going on. Once I was given the all clear she just said... well... it's part of the process.

I'd question the shot. Not sure I'd do that. Just let nature take it's course.
  • janlee_001
    Options
    I'm consistently 60 days or more between periods these days. I still get all the symptoms of getting a period around the time when I would normally get it, but it doesn't show up. When it does show up it's normal, if not less than normal usually. My doctor just said it's all part of the process.

Actually... early in my peri-menopause experience I would get my period and it would last for WEEKS!! Arrrggg. That was awful. Went to my doc multiple times and they'd check to make sure my iron levels were staying alright. (and they were) Did an ultrasound and uterine biopsy (NOT fun) to make sure there wasn't anything else going on. Once I was given the all clear she just said... well... it's part of the process.

I'd question the shot. Not sure I'd do that. Just let nature take it's course.
    It's not a fun process. Thanks for replying this really helped. Oh I finally got a period on day 61 - felt such a relief :-)