No sugar substitutes...

Options
jenabugg
jenabugg Posts: 51 Member
It is exciting to see a group for low carb dieters. I have been doing a low carb diet for a little over four months with much success. I was sticking around 50g carbs a day for about 3 months and have been experimenting with going up to 70g of carbs a day the last month or so. It is important for me to make this change a life-time pursuit, so I am constantly looking for ways to enjoy what I eat. Almost two years ago, I gave up diet sodas. Now I refuse to buy eat anything with sugar substitute, regardless of how "safe" or "natural" people might claim they are. It seems as if a lot of low carb dieters use sugar substitutes in their diet, so I am having a difficult time finding recipes that I feel comfortable trying, particularly for desserts. Does anyone have any suggestions for resources or possible recipes?

Also, I just hit my first plateau, which is frustrating. I am thinking about dropping my carbs back down from about 70g to 50g again. I workout for 50 minutes 5 days a week, 40 minutes of cardio and 10 minutes of weights. Does anyone have some suggestions for how to push through and continue losing weight?

Replies

• crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You may have better luck searching for Paleo desserts. They use dates and some fruits as sweeteners. Still lower carb than most, with nothing artificial.

http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/dessert/20-paleo-dessert-recipes/
    http://paleogrubs.com/dessert-recipes

You'd be able to eat these treats while being under your carb goal if you plan out the day accordingly.

A plateau after 3 months is not unheard of. Your body may just now be fully adapting to your new way of eating, and slowing down is not a bad thing. Are you measuring your body changes as well? There's nothing to do but continue on and wait for the scale to catch up with you. After a stall, the weight normally just wooshes right off. Don't let yourself get down about a number on a scale, as that's only one measure of success.
  • jenabugg
    jenabugg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding to my message. The Paleo dessert website look great! I can hardly wait to try one of the recipes.

Regarding the plateau, I am still keeping on plan. I track inches lost but only once a month. I'm hoping the scale will be kinder this week.