UGH!

I am not quitting..but I am frustrated....

Every time in the last two weeks, I try something physical with my friends, and bam...I'm embarrassed in front of my friends because I can't do the dang activity.

Example:

I used to hike all the time. Now I get I'm a big girl, but I'm trying to lower that. Actually that's going like gang busters and on this new diet I feel I can take on the world. So I try to go hiking....can't make it even 1/3 of the way through the trip..have to turn around and go back.....ok..maybe in SC that's too strenuous a thing, especially in the mountains......

Back up and punt, walking...basic, simple....low grade on the trail....first day out..have to stop three times to make the 1.5 or 2.0 mile walk (we haven't fully tracked it yet.). Great... (for the record, the next day I didn't have to stop at all, so that one is a win already).

Ok, this weekend... I can get on a kayak and just paddle...no big whoop...

Yes, big whoop,,,the rented kayaks didn't have seat backs and within minutes my quads were burning from balancing on the kayak and trying to sit upright while paddling....after crossing the lake, realizing this isn't going to work, my friend is kind enough to call the ranger and trade in the kayak for a canoe with a seat..however, I have to row back to get it. Fine..get it done..hurting like hell, but make it. Have a great time getting back across the lake, finding this beach cove and having a snack in the shade watching the water pass by.

On the way out...the front of my canoe turns into a sail and I can't actually get the power to row out of the cove nevertheless across the lake. So my friend attaches her kayak to the back of my other friends boat and she help me row in.

I am not looking for "you have to start somewhere" statements. I'm just frustrated and feel like it's almost too far away for me to reach healthy and in shape.

But , tomorrow, I'll hurt....Tuesday I'll meet my trainer a the gym and start a weight lifting regiment...and get back on the grindstone...

But tonight..I"m having a Pineapple/coconut Sparkling water and pretend it's a pina-colata (SP?) and feel sorry for myself. LOL

Replies

• SisterMable
    SisterMable Posts: 40 Member
    Just keep at it. Even a quarter of the way, or half the way, is more than NONE of the way. And you'll regain your agility and performance. Stick with it! :)
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Setbacks like that are what can help keep you motivated to make changes in your life. It's not going to be quick, same as getting to this position wasn't done overnight, but it'll be faster than you think. You don't even have to make it to your goal weight in order to do these things with your friends. You just need to get a little more fit. Stick with your calorie deficit to lose some weight and make it easier for you to carry yourself through strenuous activities. Stick with your liftin g program to make sure that you're building on the muscles you have to help keep you stabalized for longer while adventuring. Start a cardio program to help lower your resting heart rate and train your endurance.

You've got this. It'll be rough, but it should also be fun! The exercise will help you and before you know it, you'll be right there with your friends. No need for extra assistance.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Lose weight first before working out. You need to decide what you want to do long term. When I went Keto, I tried working out first week. It was a night mare, not exaggerating. I took 3 weeks off and let my body adjust. I started working out in week 4, and had one of my worst workouts. But here I am 16 weeks later, I run a half marathon every week, in addition to doing P90X3. I am glad I put the life style change of going leto well above any work out in first 3 weeks. Like said decide whats important.