Headaches in the morning

Options
I was wondering whether any of you experienced something similar.. I have Hashi's and I'm on L-Thyroxine only, 100 mcg. My latest TSH value was about 1.5. I take my meds at 5:30 in the morning and then go back to sleep. Get up at 7:00 and have my breakfast. Bring my daughter to daycare and cycle to work. Almost every morning I experience light headache, nothing major ( I used to have proper migraines in the past ) but unsettling. It feels as if someone was pressing me on my temples or was tying a band around my head, squeezing slowly. It gets better during the day and usually goes away completely in the afternoon / evening.
For my work it is actually better than what I was experiencing before ( a proper brain fog ) because I can more or less think despite it. Before = taking my meds max 30 mins before breakfast. I still have problems concentrating for longer periods of time.
I am wondering whether it has anything to do with me having a longer pause between meds and brekky ( it started maybe 1-2 weeks after I changed my ways ). Or could it be stress-related? I am really struggling at work and at home at the moment.

Replies

• chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Are you aware if you're clenching or grinding your teeth during the night? It sounds like a classic case and if so I would get a Night Guard. This usually shows up in high stress times.
    Night guards can be pricey if from your dentist office when insurance doesn't cover. You can always pick up an Over-the-counter one from a drug store and try it out.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I do not think so to be honest - I usually wake up with a dry mouth in the morning leading me to think that my jaw is quite loose when I sleep ;-). I had a slow and relaxing yoga session yesterday and I am feeling better today - maybe it is just a built-up tension?
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Have they also monitored your sugar levels? Maybe low blood sugar?
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Could be blood sugar. You could also try drinking more water throughout the day and see if that helps. I use to suffer low blood sugar headaches, but the Levo and increased water consumption actually seemed to HELP that. How long have you been on that dose of Levo? Maybe you're suffering from a side effect.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My sugar levels haven't been checked for ages @survivor1952 - I did not realize that it could be a factor as well.
    @MeepleMuppet my Levo's dose was increased from 75 mcg to 100 mcg last autumn, the make stayed the same. I have to admit I struggle to keep my water intake adequate, I'm aiming for 1,5 l but usually end up drinking about 1 l throughout the day.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I agree staying hydrated and having your sugar levels checked would be helpful.
    A headache is one of the first signs I get during the day that I need water.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Could also be allergies, but my money is on the blood sugar being low. It may not have anything to do with your thyroid, though a common side effect can be insulin resistance/pre-diabetes/diabetes. A less common one is hypoglycemia--low blood sugar. A fasting blood sugar test can help your do figure it out, along with talking with you about symptoms.
  • sunshine11111
    sunshine11111 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was having headaches nearly every day, and then after a sleep study found that I have moderate sleep apnea. It is pretty common with hypothyroidism, as the tongue gets larger... just a thought.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was having headaches nearly every day, and then after a sleep study found that I have moderate sleep apnea. It is pretty common with hypothyroidism, as the tongue gets larger... just a thought.

Same here. It's worth looking into, especially if there is a lot of snoring (which could also explain the dry mouth).