New girl needing help

Options
tomii13
tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
Hi everyone. This is that post where the new girl needs help calcuating her tdee.

Firstly, I'll take accountability and say that I used the TDEE method a while back and I fell of the wagon, so I am restarting and am here trying to calculate my TDEE and what my daily intake should be, but I'm slightly overwhelmed.

So if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it

I'm 27/female/164 lbs. My goal is 150, ultimate goal being 140 (scale wise) but I really would like to lose body fat, and tone and lean.

My measurements are;
hips: 4035
thigh: 22.5
waist: 39
neck: 13
wrist: 6
forearm: 9

I am doing c25k on running days, and on non running days I do workout dvds like p90x3 or 21 day fix. I do an hours worth.

Thanks in advanced!

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I would be happy to help you, but we need just a bit more info like your height and a little more info about time and intensity of your workouts.

Have you tried plugging your numbers into the Scooby Calculator? It will take you less than 5 minutes.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

When you are selecting your goal, I would suggest choosing the 10% deficit since you are so close to goal (unless you come from a history of low calorie dieting and are going to do a full metabolism re-set).

Please feel free to add me as a friend if you would like a shoulder to lean on along the way :-)

Anitra
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hi welcime to the group!

I agree with Anitra, after entering your info in Scooby calculator, choose 10% deficit. Be weary of other fomulars that suggest higher deficits.
  • tomii13
    Options
    I did plug it in. With 3-5 hours of moderate exercise it's giving me 1900 cals with a 10% calorie def.

I have a hyperthyroid so I was wondering if I should eat slightly below since it is something that toys with my metabolism.

I'm doing the c25k training so on running days I only run. On non running days I do workout dvds like p90x3, body/strength training for an hour 3 x a week and one day yoga for an hour.

my activity level is moderate and I'm 5'6
  • AnitraSoto
    Options
    What kind of "diet history" do you come from? Also, make sure you are not underestimating your activity - sounds like you are pretty active!

Are you going right to cut, or are you going to do a reset? Regardless of which avenue you take, I would suggest just working your way up to that number slowly - maybe bump your calories up by 100 a day and monitor your weight and stay at that level until your weight stabilizes fully, then push it up by another 100 or so. Just keep increasing in that manner until you get to your desired caloric intake. It is very normal that your weight will fluctuate a bit as you bump your calories up, but normally it will stabilize and often drop back down to its previous level.

If you ever get to the point where you are gaining consistently and slowly over time, then you may have, in fact, surpassed your TDEE - if that happens, just back down by 100 or so and monitor again. If your weight drops back down and stabilizes, you can even try pushing it back up by 100 again and see what happens. Depending on how suppressed your metabolism might or might not be, a lot of it may be trial and error. I know as I increased from 1,000 to 2,200 I seemed to be stuck for-ev-er at 1,900. I stayed there for a couple of months and honestly thought that was my TDEE, but after staying consistently at 1,900 for a couple of months, I was finally able to go to 2,000 without a gain (and then finally to 2,200, which is my average TDEE...)
  • tomii13
    Options
    I guess I come from all over. I started at 1200, then I upped to 1600 calories, then I stopped tracking and starting eating intuitively. And then I stopped and started eating everything and anything in sight. Sad but true, so long story short. I haven't been counting calories or even logging what I eat since probably a little before the new year.

It started because I was too focused on the calorie content and not the nutritional aspect and everything just kept becoming unhealthy.

Anyway, I would say I had a good metabolism reset since I've been eating care free?

Now I want to tune in on my eating and begin calculating calories again. We learn from our mistakes yknow?

With this background info, should you suggest I start ? 1900 or lower?
  • AnitraSoto
    Options
    Yep, if you have been eating at or over your TDEE for a fairly long time, then going right to that 10% cut is probably fine. The reset is most helpful if you are coming from a low cal or very inconsistent (yo-yo) type of diet. It sort of "reminds" the metabolism of what "normal" or Maintenance is...
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting high. And seeing how you go. My tdee equated to 1920. I don't want to lose fast so have increased to 2200 and still losing ...I did not do a reset as I was eating around 1700 a day and had a 3 month break, not counting but would be averaging around 2600 and gained 4 kgs.