Why are 40+ not active?

Options
Z_I_L_L_A
Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
It would be nice to have a workout partner that is 40+ but works out like he/she is in there 20's or 30's. Whats happen to you people. I feel all alone in my quest to be fit.

Replies

• gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You are not alone though it does feel that way at times. For me I am getting to the point that I truly look forward to working, out all the pain an sweat that goes with it. Not a big guy but enjoying getting stronger. Age is nothing but a number and I enjoy feeling and acting younger than I am.
  • DEPick
    DEPick Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    hey zilla you got a movie coming out soon? lol

Dude we are here, just a quite minority. I myself am in the middle of a cut, then back to a modified stoppani short cut to size workout I like. Looking to get (back) to ~ 9% BF and new PRs in squat and bench by Oct 14
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I guess people our age are to busy to work out but I try.
  • birdsetfree
    birdsetfree Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of 40+ who work out like the young bucks. I'm one of them, and I see several at my gym every time I'm there.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Not as many as you think out there. I see some at the gym but don't have the intensity, looks like they are just going through the motions.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    must be your gym...my gym has a healthy size group of us that sweat our *kitten* off.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Must be the area I live in then. Even events such as strongman comps and crossfit I seem to be the oldest there.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think that is one of the reasons it's harder to lose weight in your 40's. We slow down. I tend tohave no go through phases- sometimes I am lifting weights more often than others. I have noticed people in their 40's reading a book while walking on the treadmill and vow that will never be me.
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have noticed people in their 40's reading a book while walking on the treadmill and vow that will never be me.

If i try to read a book on the tread mill i will fall off the thing. would be that video you see where the person falls then gets launched out the back of the treadmill. :laugh:
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Treadmill ugh! You need both cardio and weight training. Stick people doing cardio makes no sense unless they are training for a race. People reading a book while working out don't break a sweat. Why bother.... jmho
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Treadmill ugh! You need both cardio and weight training. Stick people doing cardio makes no sense unless they are training for a race. People reading a book while working out don't break a sweat. Why bother.... jmho

I would agree 100% with this.
  • K8Fit
    K8Fit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm that person. Not only do I read a book on the treadmill but...wait for it....
    I facetime people on my iPad.

I KNOW!!!!

Crazy right?!?!?!?

It's called multitasking and it's also a great way to relieve the pain from my legs from the SQUATS I DID THE DAY BEFORE.
    Plus walking at a slow pace lowers cortisol levels. ;0)

p.s. 40 rocks.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different fitness goals. Some people Lift, some run,some walk in the park on sunday afternoons. Its all good.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    It would be nice to have a workout partner to keep my butt in gear.
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    its hard I find when I hit , well now 43, in my 30.s I was going 6 days a week, nothing could keep me away I loved, jeez ive really fallen into the im too tired to give a crap im so tired after work mode.
    I go don't get me wrong, but jeez that 30mins on the treadmill takes so looooooooooooooong to finish, the entire time I making the shopping list in my head, what bills need to paid and oh crap so and so kids b day party is this week and I haven't gotten a gift yet.
    younger years the motivation was dam im gonna look good at the club LOL now please give me the strength to finish this work out so I can go home and cook and saunter to the sofa LOL
  • olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    well, I know for me, I WANT to be working out vigorously, did running and intervals and stuff for years, but I am suffering from a lot of knee pain lately, and I suppose things like that get more common as we get older!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I understand being busy and your mind full of duties as a parent. I'm a single dad with full custody of my kids. Trying to figure out how to help my daughter through college. Son is 14 and being a dad having to raise him alone. I also understand injuries and aches and pains. Torn meniscus repaired in October, torn rotator cuff repaired in November. I won't quit, I will not fail, I will not give up. Majority of the people my age have given up on being healthy or staying fit. My days are always busy but I will find time to workout and eat healthy. Just wish there was someone along side of me with the same intensity. Not bashing the ones satisfied with a quit walk in the park or 30 mins on the treadmill walk. Me personally, I'm not satisfied with being average. I want something for me athletically. Strongman comps.,crossfit comps, Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, Spartan race etc... I get tired of people saying you're getting old, you need to slow down and take it easy,lol. Why? Because you are?
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am here in Florida!
    I have ran nine 5-K in the last year and placed three of them. First place in my age division(40-44),master female(40-49) and over all female(first girl to cross this finish line).
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I am here in Florida!
    I have ran nine 5-K in the last year and placed three of them. First place in my age division(40-44),master female(40-49) and over all female(first girl to cross this finish line).

Bravo! Thats what I'm talking about.
  • DEPick
    DEPick Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I understand being busy and your mind full of duties as a parent. I'm a single dad with full custody of my kids. Trying to figure out how to help my daughter through college. Son is 14 and being a dad having to raise him alone. I also understand injuries and aches and pains. Torn meniscus repaired in October, torn rotator cuff repaired in November. I won't quit, I will not fail, I will not give up. Majority of the people my age have given up on being healthy or staying fit. My days are always busy but I will find time to workout and eat healthy. Just wish there was someone along side of me with the same intensity. Not bashing the ones satisfied with a quit walk in the park or 30 mins on the treadmill walk. Me personally, I'm not satisfied with being average. I want something for me athletically. Strongman comps.,crossfit comps, Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, Spartan race etc... I get tired of people saying you're getting old, you need to slow down and take it easy,lol. Why? Because you are?
    crossfit and a long string of injuries. imagine that