Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Has anyone else had acid reflux on raw vegan diet?

janellevaught
janellevaught Posts: 428 Member
Lately, I have been getting acid reflux symptoms after having certain raw foods. For example, last night I had some lemon tahini dressing (made with sesame seeds, sunflower oil, nama shoyu, red pepper, celery, and onion), cauliflower (that I dipped in the dressing), and a smoothie (made with a date, an orange, pinapple, spinach, and strawberries). Ever since last night, I have an acidicness coming up in my throat and my chest is hurting.

Any insights or suggestions?

Replies

• janellevaught
    Additionally I have been bloated more days than not. I initially lost like 10 lbs of water weight with my dietary changes, but I have gained it all back in constant bloat. Could this be bad food combining?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Acidic foods like oranges and pineapples can cause heart burn, especially if you are new to the lifestyle and still healing your digestive tract. I don't know much about food combining but I would definitely look into it.
  • janellevaught
    Acidic foods like oranges and pineapples can cause heart burn, especially if you are new to the lifestyle and still healing your digestive tract. I don't know much about food combining but I would definitely look into it.

Thank you for the info. I am pretty new to this. Does the heart burn ever go away (as you get used to the lifestyle)? If so, how long does it normally take?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member

Thank you for the info. I am pretty new to this. Does the heart burn ever go away (as you get used to the lifestyle)? If so, how long does it normally take?

I've never experienced heart burn problems personally so I really couldn't say. I would imagine over time, once your digestive tract is healed from your previous diet then you should feel much better.
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    It certainly sounds to me like improper food combining.

It's very hard to find truley ripe pineapples. Oranges are out of season right now so they were probably not ripe either.

In the meantime I would look into food combining. Freelee the banana girl has a very accurate chart. Stear clear of the acid fruits for a while and try to keep things recipes very simple. Keep the veggies and things like that to the very end of the day since they are harder to digest and when you put fruit on top of that it's more likely to ferment quickly.
  • janellevaught
    It certainly sounds to me like improper food combining.

It's very hard to find truley ripe pineapples. Oranges are out of season right now so they were probably not ripe either.

In the meantime I would look into food combining. Freelee the banana girl has a very accurate chart. Stear clear of the acid fruits for a while and try to keep things recipes very simple. Keep the veggies and things like that to the very end of the day since they are harder to digest and when you put fruit on top of that it's more likely to ferment quickly.

Good to know. I will look into Freelee's chart. Thank you for the advice!