Binge eating/Sugar addiction

Options
I'm 24 dx with Hashimoto's and Hypothyroidism 3 years ago. I switched to paleo a week after being diagnosed. Ever since then, I have been battling binge eating and sugar addiction. I'm eating so restricted (well not lately...) that I end up just saying in my head "The hell with it!" and eating whatever I want. Does this happen to anyone else? It is a never ending cycle!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    That's got nothing to do with your thyroid, so you should look for support on the main boards where many more people will see your post.

Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Be sure to set a reasonable deficit. With only 15 lbs. to lose, set your goal to .5 lb. per week and be patient. The smaller deficit will also help you transition to maintenance.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • bakerej24
    Options
    Thank you so much!!
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    When I did clean eating I found the dark chocolate like 90% and sweet potato's helped for the 30 days that I did it.
    Ultimately it was too restrictive for me and I was a major witch to be around.
    If you're making a lifestyle of it add some friends with like minds with open dairies for ideas.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it is probably not from the thyroid problem. Just garden variety neurotic. I feel very tired and I eat more and it gives a bit of a boost for 1/2 an hour. Keep writing down what you eat; I find in print it helps to slow down what in put into my mouth.
  • smhcampbell23
    Options
    Actually, yes, your thyroid symptoms can cause you to crave sugar and fatty foods. however, if you are eating enough through the day high in protein and fiber you shouldn't find the urge to binge eat as much. An underfunctioing thyroid can cause severe drops in our feel good hormones and our body craves the things that think it can make us feel good, like sugar, caffiene, and the fatty no nos we try so hard to stay away from. When I'm going through what I now refer to as a flare-up, chocolate is my best friend. On a normal day I can do without, it's not neurotic and it's not in your head. Google it, there are many people out there who have the same feelings and medical journals confirming the link between thyroid health and sugar/carb cravings. Remember we all experience our thyroid issues differently and our thyroid is important to most functions in our body, so don't worry about what other people are dealing with, research your own symptoms and find what helps you! That shounds a little harsh but I KNOW when somethings off and I KNOW my body so when I'm having a flare up I eat the chocolate, I sleep, and I let myself heal. Then I get moving and make it to the next day to get things going and back balanced. I've only had 2 severe flare ups in several years but sometimes we give in and sometimes we fight through it. There's a lot of good ideas out there for natural eating and curbing those cravings! Don't deprive yourself either, this may control a big part of our lives but we deserve rewards for trying hard. :)