4lb mystery

Options
EllieB_5
EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
Roughly four weeks ago I gained 4lbs literally overnight; I chocked it up to the bad food choice I made plus the excessive amount of it I ate. I've been slowly losing those four pounds these past three weeks and finally got rid of it as of yesterday morning. This morning I have gained that four pounds back again. I can not pin point anything in my diary that could explain this sudden four pound gain, and to my knowledge water weight doesn't take three weeks to get rid of.

Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Is it the occasional excess of carbs? According to the ketostix I'm still in ketosis so I really need some help here.

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Just took a peek at your diary. What exactly are all the shakes that you've got listed the last few days? Is this something you're making yourself or is it a prepackaged thing? Seems to be alot of those in a short amount of time, may be something there.

The other suggestion I have, and don't laugh, when was the last time you changed the battery in your scale? I've had mine give me wonky readings like that until it dawned on me that I couldn't remember the last time I changed the battery. Once I did, it was consistent again.

Having said that, I'd suggest you try 3 or 4 days of just straight meats, veggies and fat. Leave out the fruit for a few days, maybe go a little lighter on the cream cheesey stuff and a little heavier on olive oil, butter, coconut oil. Looks like you're off to a good start today w/ the bacon.

Oh, and really, really push the water, too! :-)
  • EllieB_5
    Options
    Just took a peek at your diary. What exactly are all the shakes that you've got listed the last few days? Is this something you're making yourself or is it a prepackaged thing? Seems to be alot of those in a short amount of time, may be something there.
    These I make myself. The strawberry one has 125ml of water, 3tbsps of cream cheese, 85g of fat free greek yogurt, 70g strawberries, 1tbsp vanilla, sweetener, and sometimes salt. I add 2tbsps of chicory root inulin for fibre. I've been drinking a lot of shakes to get calories in to me when I otherwise want zero solids (GI issues).
    The other suggestion I have, and don't laugh, when was the last time you changed the battery in your scale? I've had mine give me wonky readings like that until it dawned on me that I couldn't remember the last time I changed the battery. Once I did, it was consistent again.
    I use an old fashioned dial scale, I'm also a little ocd about standing/balancing the same way every time I step on it. I also weigh myself weekly at my appointments as an extra source to ensure my scale isn't all wonky (brand new, but still). I haven't used the clinic scale yet but last time it also showed a 4lb gain.
    Having said that, I'd suggest you try 3 or 4 days of just straight meats, veggies and fat. Leave out the fruit for a few days, maybe go a little lighter on the cream cheesey stuff and a little heavier on olive oil, butter, coconut oil. Looks like you're off to a good start today w/ the bacon.

Oh, and really, really push the water, too! :-)
    No fruit, check; I can do that. Lighter on cream cheese and heavier on coconut oil, I can do that. When in need of a shake should I simply replace a tablespoon of cream cheese with a tablespoon of coconut oil? Replace more than a tablespoon? I may even be able to have a full coconut-y shake without cream cheese (haven't tried that yet, but it may actually taste good :tongue: ) More water, check. I've known I've been lacking on the water but have had a hard time remembering to drink; setting an alarm reminder now :drinker:

Thanks for the tips :flowerforyou:, let's hope it helps me get past this strange "plateau" type dealio.
  • catawampushalo
    catawampushalo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions. I would second the meat, veggies, and fats for a few days. Really focus on getting your carbs no more than 20. I think that will be the key to getting rid of the water weight in a hurry and hopefully jump starting the loss again.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Hard to say with out knowing if you work out or not? I didn't see work outs in your diary. If you are gaining 4 lbs over night it is mostly likely water weight. Are you taking measurements or do body composition tests? I have seen 7lb swings in my weight and some times it took 8 weeks to get that off. I get my BF% tested, I don't worry about the overall scale number. It's hard to gain 4lb of fat overnight.
  • EllieB_5
    Options
    It's hard to gain 4lb of fat overnight.

Lol, yes I guess eh? I'm limited in my exercise and don't walk as much as I can, admittedly.
    Are you taking measurements or do body composition tests?
    I take measurements every week. The measurements go up slightly when the scale goes up which, I'm assuming, could be expected with water weight gain?
  • shanniem1
    shanniem1 Posts: 35
    Options
    My weight varies greatly due to cycle issues (no joke, up to 10 lbs a month). I'd say it's water weight. :)