Tips and support to get back on track

Options
On Friday I didn't manage my feelings well and turned to food for comfort( which doesn't work, so why do I do it?) Binged on a lot of chocolate and made myself feel physically and mentally rubbish. Gained 5lbs overnight!

Anyway just thought it would be good to have somewhere where we could say we need support getting back on track, and some tips to help get there- whether they be practical or mental tips and ideas

For me
*tell someone I'm struggling- owning the fact I messed up is the first step in getting back on it
*drink plenty of water
* plan and make all my meals for the following day- no thinking involved
*ask someone to keep checking in on me for a couple of days- keeps me motivated
*don't feel guilty or bad- accept and only look forward
* keep active and exercise

Anyone else have any tips?

Replies

• Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Do something enjoyable such as watching a movie, singing, dancing, writing poem, etc. to help bring me back to a happier state to help me get to where I want to keep on pushing as things can get us pretty low at times.
    Think/write down at least five things I'm grateful for about my body and/or myself.
    Remind myself I am human. Not just partially human, or half-human, but wholly human and am going to have the same the problems that every other human does meaning my path is about as perfect as everybody else's.
  • Ramen237
    Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    For me
    *tell someone I'm struggling- owning the fact I messed up is the first step in getting back on it
    *drink plenty of water
    * plan and make all my meals for the following day- no thinking involved
    *ask someone to keep checking in on me for a couple of days- keeps me motivated
    *don't feel guilty or bad- accept and only look forward
    * keep active and exercise

Anyone else have any tips?

I agree with your first bullet point - a lot of times I will overeat like crazy and not admit it to myself - or talk myself into believing I deserve to eat something completely unhealthy. Excuses just keep coming, until you set your foot down - and I mean, REALLY set it down.

I tend to think of our body systems as being interrelated, with all components helping each other work properly (or hindering each other if we engage in harmful habits). It's like a chain reaction - healthy food & more exercise - healthier organs - healthier joints - less colds - less inflammation and pain, etc etc. So when getting back on track, I think about the many benefits my body can have if only I decide to eat an apple instead of a cupcake, or take a 20 min walk instead of flipping through the TV channels... :bigsmile:

Also, I remind myself of how far I've come - mentally, physically, psychologically.. Sometimes I feel like my goal weight is so far away and "not worth it" and am tempted to give it all up. :blushing: But I try to think of all that I've accomplished - getting fitter, stronger, more confident... and all that I WILL accomplish. I think back to a walk in the park that I enjoyed, or the time I could walk up a steep hill with no problem, or show off a new pair of pants, and I say - HECK YEAH I WANT THAT :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Etherlily1 - I am only half-human. The other half is a fitness and nutrition beast, and it's trying to take over!! :laugh: