Books on (peri)menopause that you liked?

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
I thought I would start a thread where we discuss, specifically, the books and resources we've used and liked (or not).

I'll start.

The first one I read was Dr. John Lee's "What Your Doctor May not Tell you about Peri-Menopause" (and his menopause book). I learned a lot from it way back when, but do think he maybe over simplifies things by only focusing on bio-identical progesterone. For me, anyway, it's the compounded estriol that has helped me the most.

I also enjoyed the latter half of Christine Northrup's "The Wisdom of Menopause". I didn't like the first half of the book, and ended up skipping most of it (it seemed a bit like HER therapy). But the descriptions of the actual changes in menopause and what we can do about them in the latter half, were good.

Lately, at the suggestion of lmjblues I read Ann Louise Gettleman's "Before the Change: Taking Charge of your Perimenopause. That was also useful, especially about weight control, as it confirmed many things I thought I'd noticed about myself (specifically about my changing relationship with carbs).

I downloaded "The Hormone Diet" by Natasha Turner, but have found it tough to get into.

I tried "Menopause Makeover" but found it kinda superficial, and not health focused.

What about you?

Replies

• Katefitin14
    Katefitin14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I read Christine Northrup's "The Wisdom of Menopause". and Anne Louise Gittleman Before the change and took what I liked out of both. Northrup was a bit more on the emotional side but I did find parts useful and I liked the positive vibe she gave. The peri zappers information on what to eat to naturally guide you through was good for me as I am one who does not believe in hormone therapy. Its all over for me now except for waking up at night and hot/cold at night.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I read Christine Northrup's "The Wisdom of Menopause". and Anne Louise Gittleman Before the change and took what I liked out of both. Northrup was a bit more on the emotional side but I did find parts useful and I liked the positive vibe she gave. The peri zappers information on what to eat to naturally guide you through was good for me as I am one who does not believe in hormone therapy. Its all over for me now except for waking up at night and hot/cold at night.
    Yes, the peri zappers in Gettleman's book are great. I've implemented a few.
  • lmjblues
    lmjblues Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies....

The only one I've read is Before the Change by Anne Louie Gittleman. It basically confirmed a lot of what I was going through and struggling with. I've implemented a few of the peri-zappers she discusses as well. AND... a lot of her suggestions for eating as well.

I'll have to check out The Wisdom of Menopause... sounds like it's worth a look.

Thanks!!

Lisa
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am still having periods and totally have this:
    waking up at night and hot/cold at night.

Can you guys give me an overview of what "peri zappers" are, or should I just read the book?

I have the Wisdom of Menopause, but have not gotten all the way through it yet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I am still having periods and totally have this:
    waking up at night and hot/cold at night.

Can you guys give me an overview of what "peri zappers" are, or should I just read the book?

I have the Wisdom of Menopause, but have not gotten all the way through it yet.
    Here's a brief run down.

http://www.olyareaap.org/perizap.pdf
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks, thats very interesting. Might check out the book too.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will look into those books.

I found a podcast called "Magnificent Menopause" which is a bit old but still has some worthwhile episodes. Don't really think I've got any answers yet and the more that I read and listen and the women I have talked to about this - it seems that women respond differently to peri-menopause - so frustrating!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Just bought this on Kindle: Ann Louise Gettleman's "Before the Change: Taking Charge of your Perimenopause"

I'm on holidays this week so though it might be good to add another book to my list of reading!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm bumping this. I'm now RE-reading Gettleman's book. I also re-read Vivianne Parnell "What Can I Eat: the Menopause Diet".

Gettleman and Dr. Lee and Parnell are, I think, my long term favorites.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The peri zappers link above is broken. I found this via Google, and assume it's the same: http://enp-network.s3.amazonaws.com/Olympia_AAPA/file/Handouts/perizap.pdf Ann Louise Gittleman's Peri Zappers from Before the Change.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    The peri zappers link above is broken. I found this via Google, and assume it's the same: http://enp-network.s3.amazonaws.com/Olympia_AAPA/file/Handouts/perizap.pdf Ann Louise Gittleman's Peri Zappers from Before the Change.

Ah, cool, thanks for updating it.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Not a book, but an essay. "Pause," by Mary Ruefle

http://granta.com/pause/
    Reading this, or any other thing ever written about menopause, will not help you in any way, for how you respond to menopause is not up to you, it is up to your body, and though you believe now that you can control your body (such is your strength after all that yoga) you cannot.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Not a book, but an essay. "Pause," by Mary Ruefle

http://granta.com/pause/
    Reading this, or any other thing ever written about menopause, will not help you in any way, for how you respond to menopause is not up to you, it is up to your body, and though you believe now that you can control your body (such is your strength after all that yoga) you cannot.

Wow. That was powerful. Stunning.
    And yes, hot flashes have been the least of it!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    The New York Times just did a piece on menopause: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/31/ask-well-late-menopause/
    Those who go through menopause later are at lower risk for heart disease and stroke, and also tend to have stronger bones, less osteoporosis and fewer fractures than those who go through menopause earlier. The average age of menopause, when a woman has her last menstrual period, is 51, according to the National Institutes of Health.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The New York Times just did a piece on menopause: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/31/ask-well-late-menopause/
    Those who go through menopause later are at lower risk for heart disease and stroke, and also tend to have stronger bones, less osteoporosis and fewer fractures than those who go through menopause earlier. The average age of menopause, when a woman has her last menstrual period, is 51, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Thanks! Reading this now...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh I need to read something,, I am having so many symptoms........
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Bumping this thread. I just re-read, for the Nth time, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Menopause".
    I like re-reading books and realizing new things. In both his books (peri-menopause and menopause) he focuses on the importance of eating WHOLE FOODS, and limiting refined grains. I KNOW I didn't notice that when I first read the peri book years ago....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Bumping this again. I now re-reading for the 3rd time: Ann Louise Gettleman's "Before the Change: Taking Charge of your Perimenopause.
    That, and Dr. Lee's book are still my two favorites. Every time I spend some time with either one, I see something I'm not attending to and should be.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options

thank you 38 will be 39 in 5 weeks suffering from Night sweats terribly. Noticeably terrible when carbs abouve 80 g consumed. I'm so glad I track my food I can see the connection here.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I like reading info online. Books get outdated.