Trouble Sleeping

Options
lavendy17
lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
So I remember the book says something about how the work out affect things like sleep. Lately, my sleep has been very light and I feel like I am half awake all night long.
What am I doing wrong?
This is not typical for me.

Anybody experience something like that?

Replies

• sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I frequently have restless nights, especially after strength training. My body feels like it is working overtime while my brain sleeps. Its a very odd feeling, but i still usually get a good amount of sleep during the night.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    The first few months after I started lifting, I had difficulty sleeping. Melatonin helped- but the melatonin made me have weird, vivid dreams. I think mine lasted so long because I was making such a drastic change to my lifestyle and diet. Hopefully you can start sleeping normally soon.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    When I started, all I did was sleep. I went from sleeping a light 7-8 hour nights to 9-12 hour power sleeps. I am still not over it. I easily sleep 10 hours per night and more on weekends. Are you certain you are challenging yourself enough?
  • lavendy17
    Options
    I am not certain because how can one even know?
    But I assume that I do because if I'm not challenging myself, why am I affected at all?
    My sleep used to be fine and now it's restless.
    I thought maybe I am working too hard. I always add weight, get a good sweat, heart racing after sets, sore muscles...
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this but I recommend zzyquil for restlessness. It's nyquil's new sleep aid with no cough medicine in it. It helps get me and keep me asleep.

Barbell, I used to have the same problem with melatonin. I'd sleep through the night but have these seriously strange dreams that kept me from truly resting. I gave up on it after a few nights lol
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I am not certain because how can one even know?
    But I assume that I do because if I'm not challenging myself, why am I affected at all?
    My sleep used to be fine and now it's restless.
    I thought maybe I am working too hard. I always add weight, get a good sweat, heart racing after sets, sore muscles...

Sounds like you're getting a great workout.
    What time of day do you workout? Evening workouts can get you wired up.
    My guess is that the elevated cortisol levels from starting a new program are getting to you. And then less sleep equals more cortisol. Maybe try taking a sleep aid for a few days and see if getting enough sleep will help get you out of the cycle.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options

Barbell, I used to have the same problem with melatonin. I'd sleep through the night but have these seriously strange dreams that kept me from truly resting. I gave up on it after a few nights lol

Yep, the dreams I had were very disturbing. It was quite alarming to know I could even think those thoughts, LOL!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have been sleeping like a log since starting my heavier lifting. I am dead tired.
  • lavendy17
    Options
    Yeah evening workouts.
    Does it eventually go back to normal?
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I still can't workout in the evening without I causing me to lose sleep. Maybe after you've been doing it consistently for several week?