24-hour ultra marathons

Options
Has anyone ever participated in one of these events? Somehow I didn't know they existed until today... I mean I know about the big relays like Ragnar, but I didn't know there were solo ultras measured simply by the 24-hour period. If you have experience with 24-hour ultras I would love to hear ALL about them and your experience leading up to them.

Kind of on the same train of thought has anyone ever skipped running a full marathon and run a 24-hour ultra or a 50k? Is it a crazy idea? From what I've found it seems like the training is similar for 26.2 as it is for 50k and I'm feeling like a 24-hour race you obviously could set a goal going in that you'd like to complete 50k or somewhere in that range if you'd never run an ultra or a marathon before...

***Since there have been so many wacky "I'm just going to wing it" and/or unrealistic expectation running posts lately I'd like to be clear that I won't take my interest in the subject any further than just as a research perspective unless I have the proper training time and regime readying me to run such a massive distance.***

Thanks for reading and in advance for any replies!

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have worked aid stations for a couple of 24 hour races. If you really want to make that leap I suggest starting with something that offeres 6/12/24 hour options. Most are on small loop course, the longest I can think of is only 4 miles. I would also recommend crewing/pacing for someone doing the 24 hour to see what it is like (they really are team efforts).

http://whatisultra.tumblr.com/
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely trying to find someone to pace! Especially in the overnight portions. I won't even begin to commit to running one unless I'm completely ready. It's a huge commitment and distance. I'm thinking there's just so much flexibility to set the pace and distance in a 24-hour. If I complete 2 miles/hour for 16 of the 24 hours I will have completed a 50k. I think that's a realistic place to start thinking about completing one. Sure I could just sign up for a marathon or 50k but then I don't get to entirely run (and WALK!) my own race... Just exploring peoples thoughts and experiences. Thanks very much for sharing yours!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Never done one but a lot of folks really like them. Most ultras are such lonely, isolated affairs, and by contrast, 24-hour races are much more social. You can stop and rest after each lap, socialize with other runners, take a nap even, then hop back in. Also, no matter what distance you complete, you are always a "finisher." When I dropped out of my 50-mile race after 50k, I got no recognition -- I was simply a "DNF" -- even though if I had registered for the 50K I would have finished in 10th place.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    Never done one but a lot of folks really like them. Most ultras are such lonely, isolated affairs, and by contrast, 24-hour races are much more social. You can stop and rest after each lap, socialize with other runners, take a nap even, then hop back in. Also, no matter what distance you complete, you are always a "finisher." When I dropped out of my 50-mile race after 50k, I got no recognition -- I was simply a "DNF" -- even though if I had registered for the 50K I would have finished in 10th place.

Dave your post is 100% why running a 24-hour event is so appealing to me. So sorry to hear about your DNF especially since you would've done so well as a 50k finisher! Thanks for sharing!
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

there's a local race here that has the 6/12/24 hour options but if you sign up for the 24 hour race and drop out after 19 hours you also get a DNF. i think i am going to attempt the 12 hour option this year if my 50km race goes ok in may.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The one I'm doing (along with Zekela) next weekend records distance and time, no matter how far or long you run. However 24h is the only option, so I don't know if there would be a DNF for a 24 h if other there were other time options available. Last year distances ranged from 12.5 to 106.25 mi.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options

there's a local race here that has the 6/12/24 hour options but if you sign up for the 24 hour race and drop out after 19 hours you also get a DNF. i think i am going to attempt the 12 hour option this year if my 50km race goes ok in may.

Luckily this race does not have a minimum hour or lap requirement, you do as much as you can within the 24 hour period. The only way you'd get a DNF is if you DNS lol.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    The one I'm doing (along with Zekela) next weekend records distance and time, no matter how far or long you run. However 24h is the only option, so I don't know if there would be a DNF for a 24 h if other there were other time options available. Last year distances ranged from 12.5 to 106.25 mi.

Good luck Zekela and Sarah!!!!!! Please keep me posted!
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've never run an ultra (yet) but am training for a 50k as you know. I think that's probably good advice to try a 6 hr race first. Also, one of my best friends is an elite ultrarunner in NYC (he won the 6-day race last year and was featured in a 2-page spread in ESPN Magazine), former American national champ in either the 24 hr or 48 hr, he's also run 72 hr races and Badwater multiple times, Boston Marathon, etc (he competes for the US team almost every year in worldwide ultra competitions). If you are looking for ultra guidance, advice, etc., please let me know and I can tell y'all how to connect with him. His name is Phil McCarthy. He's encouraged me to explore ultrarunning and so I am. I encouraged him to run his first marathon having no idea that a sprinter (in high school) could turn into marathoner and now, an elite ultramarathoner.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Finished the 24h last weekend- 75 miles, putting me in 4th place overall female. It was a great experience, with an awesome group of volunteers and two great co- RDs. It was a real learning experience for me, from how/ when to change shoes, to overnight running with a headlamp, to 24h nutrition, to the bane of all distance runners- chafing. The 6.25 mile lollipop configuration was just the right length that there were clear "milestones" for each loop- the end of the "stick" was just over a mile out, the midway aid station was another two and change, another two back to the stick, and one into "home." The loop part could be run in either direction, which kept things interesting, even over 12 loops.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    I've never run an ultra (yet) but am training for a 50k as you know. I think that's probably good advice to try a 6 hr race first. Also, one of my best friends is an elite ultrarunner in NYC (he won the 6-day race last year and was featured in a 2-page spread in ESPN Magazine), former American national champ in either the 24 hr or 48 hr, he's also run 72 hr races and Badwater multiple times, Boston Marathon, etc (he competes for the US team almost every year in worldwide ultra competitions). If you are looking for ultra guidance, advice, etc., please let me know and I can tell y'all how to connect with him. His name is Phil McCarthy. He's encouraged me to explore ultrarunning and so I am. I encouraged him to run his first marathon having no idea that a sprinter (in high school) could turn into marathoner and now, an elite ultramarathoner.

Jeremy thanks! I need to double check and make sure I follow him on twitter! Also I have every faith in you doing awesome at your 50k!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    Finished the 24h last weekend- 75 miles, putting me in 4th place overall female. It was a great experience, with an awesome group of volunteers and two great co- RDs. It was a real learning experience for me, from how/ when to change shoes, to overnight running with a headlamp, to 24h nutrition, to the bane of all distance runners- chafing. The 6.25 mile lollipop configuration was just the right length that there were clear "milestones" for each loop- the end of the "stick" was just over a mile out, the midway aid station was another two and change, another two back to the stick, and one into "home." The loop part could be run in either direction, which kept things interesting, even over 12 loops.

Sent a friend request! Congrats on an amazing job!