How do I avoid a plateau?

Options
MaxDPeterson
MaxDPeterson Posts: 12 Member
I've currently been in Phase 1 for 2 months now and lost 42 pounds. I generally lose 3-5 lbs a week. I do my weekly weigh in on Friday and as of today, I have only lost 1 lb since last Friday. How do I avoid a plateau in my weight loss? I'm extremely motivated and eating well.

Replies

• crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    A stall in weight loss is normal. The number on the scale is only one method of measurement. Have you been measuring body changes? Recomp of the body, muscle growth, fat loss... this may not reflect on the scale. Besides, maintaining such a high weight loss rate is extremely difficult and not really an ideal for your body. Avoid getting so dependant on what the scale is telling you. It's about your health, how you feel, and keeping up with your food intake and exercise goals. Fat loss takes longer than glycogen depletion. Calm down and keep doing what you're doing. It's not entirely about the readout on the scale.

There are people that will tell you to shock your body and have a high cal day or do tons of exercise or whatever else. None of it is really necessary. Plateaus are normal. They'll happen. And you're not in a plateau yet because you still lost weight and it's not even your weigh in day.
  • MaxDPeterson
    MaxDPeterson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I understand that plateaus will happen but I really want to get to that goal haha. I'm only 18 lbs away from my preliminary goal and I was hoping it would only take another month to get there. I feel great though and you're right, that is what is most important. 2 months ago, the thought of exercise was dreadful. Now, I look forward to playing a game of basketball, going for a job or going out for a hike. Atkins is definitely helping with all that but I can't help but get a little disappointed with a slow in the weight loss. I know it's normal. I just need to accept it lol

I have been measuring my waist. It's gone down an inch in the last two weeks so that is good. I'm not sure how to do those other things though.

How long does a plateau usually last? I'm sure it varies but I want to get an idea so I don't get discouraged. I've been addicted to eating for a long time and am just now getting over that so the more I mentally prepare, the more likely I am to stay on track.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    have you heard of or have you ever tried the "Atkins Fat fast " to break a plateau? take a look at this web page, this works everytime for me and others here on the atkins groups
    http://www.carbsmart.com/fatfast.html
    hope this helps
  • LuluNH
    LuluNH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree with Crepes...You are not in a plateau. I am a slow loser..about 1 pound per week but slowed down closer to goal. I think of plateaus as a way to learn other lessons along the journey like patience and consistency. Even when we all reach goal we still have to do what we are doing today...eating low carb, eating less and moving more....just my opinion but plateaus are just a reality check for our real lives. My real life is about 1200-1400 calories and about 50 carbs per day and regular exercise. The ultimate goal for me is maintenance and not re-gaining......it's a life long journey!!
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I concur with the long journey, my guess it will go on for the rest of our lives, even if we reach goal, that is the only way to stay at goal, is to watch what we do for ever, I have been at this low carb stuff now for 1.5 years seriously and have a long way to go yet, sometimes I dont weigh for 2 weeks or a month at a time, just think about going down down down over time
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Timwhoa brought up a good tool. Fat fasts are often used to break stalls, as well as intermittent fasting. You can look both of these up to get a good picture of how to do them. Intermittent fasting can be done long term, and some say that it speeds up fat loss as your body burns body fat for fuel during your fasting periods. I personally practice IF because it helps me control my calorie intake better as I'd previously had (am currently dealing with) a bit of disordered eating. However, fat fasts are not recommended long term, as you consume very little (if any) protein and you could be losing muscle mass instead of fat. Just do one day, if you plan on doing them.

But ultimately, relying too much on quick results and immediate gratification isn't going to set you up for success. Because I've dealt with an eating disorder before, I know just how much relying on that instant decrease in weight can mess you up. I've shifted to focusing on other goals. Fitness related goals, food health related goals, etc. It's about the full package and using the number on the scale as your measure isn't ideal if your expectations are too high.