Ketone Test Strips - When to Measure

Options
Tanukiko
Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
I bit the bullet and ordered a glucose and ketone blood test meter and strips.

Now the questions becomes...what is the best time to measure to determine if you are in ketosis? All you folks that are actively losing weight/inches/body fat...share your wisdom please.

Replies

• pyramid918
    pyramid918 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been toying with the idea myself... Where did you find yours?
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I measure fasting once or twice a week because the darn strips are so expensive. Ive heard your numbers will be higher later in the day, especially if you do it before meals. I figure if I'm at 0.5 fasting, it'll only get better from there.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Fasting, first thing before workouts.
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I guess I'll do it first thing in the morning before breakfast. Fingers crossed for postiive results.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've been measuring as soon as I get up in the morning. Yesterday I measured in the afternoon as well, after exercise and it was considerably higher. I've been bummed because of low readings lately but at least I know they do go back up during the day so there is still hope :)
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I just received my strips today. Measured sorta fasting...lol, about 5 hours after lunch and got a 1.3. Will try again in the morning.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Overnight fasting reading this morning was 1.8. Good, bad, average? Not particularly losing weight.
  • sdefranc
    sdefranc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always find my ketones lower in the morning, anywhere between 1.5 and 2.5. By evening they usually go up to 3.5 - 4.5.

I'm not sure when the best time is to measure them, but I do mine first thing in the morning assuming it can only get better from then on, but perhaps everyone's body reacts differently.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    According to Jimmy Moore, blood ketones will be at the lowest in the morning, fasting.. if you get a good reading then, you'll be good for the day b/c your level will go up as the day progresses. (Assuming you don't eat donuts or something.):drinker:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    According to this doctor, the optimal ketosis is between 1.5 and 3.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/four-weeks-of-strict-lchf-and-ketone-monitoring
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have yet to get a reading over 1.0 and my macros have been on spot for weeks. I have the other indicators, the breath, the smelly pee, I am losing, slowly, so I do think I'm in ketosis, just not as deep as I should be. Patience is definitely a virtue on this diet. :laugh: