Thyroid Ablation

Options
cking824
cking824 Posts: 21 Member
Hello everyone! I am scheduled to have the Thyroid Ablation in the next few weeks and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for during and after this procedure.

Thank you,
Carey

Replies

• twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've had it done twice. The second time was easier though. Plan to take it easy for a few days, I was really tired and nauseous right after and then for about 2 weeks I had the symptoms of being extremely hyperthyroid. (Can't sleep, irritable, extreme hot flashes) My Endo explained it as your thyroid is dumping the excess hormone in your body, so if you've been given beta-blockers, TAKE them! if not, ASK for them. I swear the propranlol is the only thing that got me through it.

Then for about a week after that my throat and neck were physically sore. I know it sounds scary, I was so nervous and uncertain about it, but after I felt so much better. (until i started going hypo, but thats a different story) :wink:
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am going to assume you are having chemical ablation only?
    I was tired following the procedure but actually ate something once I arrived home (couple of hours later) and was just fine.
    I had a sore throat but was advised to keep hard candy or mints around to suck on and that helped a little....I lost my voice but that was not uncommon at the time.