PCOS & milk kefir

kiwibandit
kiwibandit Posts: 15 Member
Hi everyone,

I have PCOS and my sister-in-law recommended that I incorporate milk kefir into my diet. I have also noticed quite a few sites recommend getting a daily dose of probiotics. I was wondering if any of you girls have tried incorporating milk kefir into your diet? If you have, does it help you? How do you feel? Would you recommend adding milk kefir to your diet? I could not find much information on milk kefir effects on PCOS.

Thanks,
Nicole

Replies

• shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    I grew up on Kefir, and it's good for the digestive system. It contains all the good bacterias, and therefore keeps the overall digestive system healthy. As for PCOS, I don't know. I didn't show any symptoms before my late 30's. Strenght training, and swimming probably helped me throughout my life, though. Who knows? It's worth a try.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    I keep meaning to try it, what does it taste like.

a friend called it rotten milk so i got a bit put off it, is it similar to butter milk~?
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    I keep meaning to try it, what does it taste like.

a friend called it rotten milk so i got a bit put off it, is it similar to butter milk~?

It's similar to yogurt, and is great on muesli, fruit etc. An alternative to greek yogurt, pretty much. There's a fat free version, and a regular version, but I think most places only do the regular kind.
  • kiwibandit
    I've started drinking kefir recently. It doesn't taste like rotten milk. I'm making homemade kefir with kefir grains. Its REALLY easy to do. Depending on your grain to milk ratio, it can have a mild to strong tart taste. from what i've read, kefir can be used to replace buttermilk in recipes. I feel that they do taste somewhat similar.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Interesting - I get how kefir is good for digestion and general health, but out of personal interest, how does it help with PCOS specifically? Or was your SIL recommending it just for general health?
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Oh, and btw, I absolutely love your profile pic, such a cute dress and beachy-pose. I can just feel the wind blowing through my hair. :D
  • kiwibandit
    thanks! I think my SIL is just recommending it for general health. She read this study about overweight people having less beneficial bacteria in their digestive tract versus in-shape people.
  • fitnab2015
    fitnab2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone,
    I've joined this discussion a bit late but was wondering what your experiences have been after having added Kefir to your diet? And what kind of kefir are you taking?

I've recently started taking organic milk kefir (commercially produced, Lifeway brand) and its great. But I'm not sure about the following aspects:
    1) What effect specifically this would have on my PCOS:
    I've read quite a few articles purporting the supposed benefits for kefir/probiotics in general for everyone, including PCOS patients. But I've not read/seen any actual experiences.

2) Whether it is ok to consume milk kefir if you have PCOS:
    Because for PCOS they usually recommend staying away from milk and milk products.

Thank you!