Changes to menstrual cycle post WLS?

Options
Mell0566
Mell0566 Posts: 9 Member
Hello--

I had my sleeve on 03/24 and my period should have started around 04/11. It did not start until this morning, and I have been having cramps like i did as a teen in addition to extremely loose bowels all day.

I am 47, so it may be peri-menopause. I am just wondering if this it is normal for your cycle and pain level to change post-op? My cycle was very regular per-surgery.

Replies

• minibandit
    Options
    The general rule on this is, there are no rules! I have the Implant and hadn't had a period for about 9 months up to surgery. After surgery I then bled solidly for two whole months (heavy too). I've been period free for only one week!

There are various thoughts and reasons. The immediate bleed can be put down to the blood thinners they give to stop clots. Also as fat contains hormones they are released when you lose. Initially you lose big so the hormone load is big causing all sorts of lovely things to happen.

Personally, I turned back in to a spotty, moody, constantly bleeding person. Like being a teen again. It has all quite rapidly settled now though and my skin, mood and periods seem to have sorted itself out.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My cycle definitely changed, but not immediately. My cramps actually lessened, causing a few unpleasant surprises since I didn't have my usual warning system. Also, didn't help that my cycle seems to have shortened. For right now, am just keeping an eye on things and plan to discuss with my obgyn at my next check-up.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and mine didn't and hasn't changed a bit since surgery, (RNY 3/2012) but NOTHING seems to affect my cycle. When I had my kids (I was almost 39 with my 1st son and almost 41 with my second) my period started up and was regular 10 weeks after the 1st one was born and 6 weeks after the second and I was exclusively breastfeeding.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I was like clockwork for the first 5 months after surgery. Then, I was 3 weeks late. My gyn said that it was from the combination of drastic weight loss and being 50. She said that both things can cause hormone levels to change significantly.