Losing weight during Marathon Training

Options
Is it wise to try to lose weight during training for a marathon? Can it be done without getting hurt, sick or otherwise hungry and weak?

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I find I lose plenty of weight anyway during marathon training, that actually "trying" isn't necessary. I say just listen to your body and see how it goes. If you're hungry all the time and feeling weak, up the calories. Obviously when push comes to shove you'll need to decide if running your race well or losing some weight is your main goal.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks out from marathon day - and in the 17th week of my training and initially I had no problem maintaining a deficit and logging my miles, and I lost some weight.

Then the big miles started coming - my long runs aren't below 13 miles now, and won't be until I'm tapering up to race day - and the hunger started. I "gained" about 2 pounds when my weekly mileage jumped from 25~ miles to closer to 40 miles. It's since dropped off, and I try to mindful of what I'm eating because I know how it will affect my runs.

So, my goal now is to fuel the running, and worry about the weight loss after marathon training is over.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It seems like I can always eat more than I can exercise. I have to very careful of what I eat over time. Weight gain really sneaks up on you.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am 10 days away from my first full marathon. I have been eating at maintenance the whole time and eating back about half of my calories burned most of the time. I haven't gained or lost a single pound. my weight has definitely fluctuated some, but always ends up back at my normal weight. I would say to listen to your body when training. You aren't going to run well if you are starving. Eat if your body is telling you to. If you do ok not eating back calories burned, then do that. whatever is best for you is what you should do.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    When I am hitting the high mileage weeks of marathon training its all I can do to eat everything in sight so that I don't lose too much weight.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm running 75 to 90+ miles a week right now with my marathon in just over 2 weeks. I can't seem to maintain a deficit because I'm freaking ravenous ALL.THE.TIME.

Buy yeah, it can be done. :smile:
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    By the time I started training for my first marathon, I was in maintenance and had been for 8 months. Actually, I found my weight went up by a few pounds and stabilized once I got above 13 miles on the long runs. If anything my weight variation has gotten tighter not wider.

Its certainly possible to lose weight while training but you are also constantly fueling and repairing the engine as you build up the miles for endurnace and whatever you do for speed.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've absolutely been able to lose weight while marathon training... I just recommend 1) not setting your deficit at anything too crazy (for me, 1 lb/week max seemed to work), and 2) switch to maintenance ~4 weeks out from race day, 'cause it'll sure make a difference in performance (well, it does for me, anyway).

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I think it varies by individual. If you have a lot of weight to lose, it's probably easier to lose (a little) weight while training without it taking much of a toll. I never have more than around 5lbs or so of (pure vanity weight) to lose, and losing while training is pretty much impossible without affecting my training. Some people need more fuel than others, so you just have to see what works for you. If you do a slight calorie deficit and find yourself tired and sluggish and weak, then go back to eating maintenance calories.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm running 75 to 90+ miles a week right now with my marathon in just over 2 weeks. I can't seem to maintain a deficit because I'm freaking ravenous ALL.THE.TIME.

Buy yeah, it can be done. :smile:

I'm also hungry ALL.THE.TIME.
    My goal is currently to NOT GAIN weight lol I'll try to drop the last 5-6lbs after the marathon before I start training for the fall one.
  • thepetiterunner
    Options
    Man, I guess I'm the only odd ball losing weight. Wonder what I'm doing wrong. For all of you that are maintaining or gaining, are you also doing weight / strength training to cross train?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Man, I guess I'm the only odd ball losing weight. Wonder what I'm doing wrong. For all of you that are maintaining or gaining, are you also doing weight / strength training to cross train?

Psshh! Weights! Those things are too heavy!

I honestly just don't have time or energy to do anything else. I'm working 40+ hours a week and running over 10 hours a week (almost 14 hours on my 90+ weeks).
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have to be extremely careful with my food if I want to lose weight. I workout over 10 hours a week with running, biking and swimming and I haven't lost in ages. It's just too easy to out eat the calorie burn.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options

What? Weights? Who let this girl in :).
  • thepetiterunner
    Options

What? Weights? Who let this girl in :).

Ha! I heard there was chocolate milk here.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can gain weight no matter what I do. I would likely injure myself before I could train more than I can eat. Eating mindfully with certain limits is the only way I can reach my speed goals..
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am definitely the odd man out. I have lost 9 pound now training for my Ultra. I am in the high mileage runs in my training. It is now pretty warm here (Mississippi) and the heat zaps any appetite I may have. I am drinking TONS just to keep hydrated from running but eating a lot? Nope. Not unless I really, really enjoy throwing up.
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I always seemed to gain during my previous marathon trainings, but I also wasn't watching calorie intake AT ALL. This time around, I'm starting FIRST with some weight loss leading up to the start of my marathon training in Sept. My goal is to get to my target weight by the time I start training so that I can focus on maintenance and fueling my body to stay healthy and injury-free.

I am really curious about the (whispers in a low voice) strength training during marathon training and was actually going to post a question on this!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I always seemed to gain during my previous marathon trainings, but I also wasn't watching calorie intake AT ALL. This time around, I'm starting FIRST with some weight loss leading up to the start of my marathon training in Sept. My goal is to get to my target weight by the time I start training so that I can focus on maintenance and fueling my body to stay healthy and injury-free.

I am really curious about the (whispers in a low voice) strength training during marathon training and was actually going to post a question on this!

There was just a thread in the main boards about strentgh & marathon training.