Can I build muscle and lose weight at the same time?

Options
smilesback
smilesback Posts: 327 Member
I am not losing weight. I exercise and eat more. I have been consistently exercising since February, even gained a couple lbs. I focus on cardio and am thinking it is time to do 2x a week weight lifting. Just read an article that said at my age it is best for me to go for the cardio effect to improve heart function. It said loss of muscle mass is part of aging and so working for heart health is the best way to use my time at the gym. Ok, I agree, I am doing that AND still want to lose weight to feel and look good. I think losing weight comes from cardio. I am going on increasing my protein and lowering my carbs so I don't feel hungry. The last bit of advice I just read was for someone with over 60 lbs to lose, I have 30 lbs, so relates to me I think. * He said to lift and lift heavy, and make sure you're getting adequate protein. Don't worry so much about building muscle for now but concentrate on losing weight and gaining strength.* I get confused -- What do you think?

Replies

• smilesback
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/home-workout-plans/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/losing-weight-and-building-6-pack-abs/#eatless

Hi everyone, I kept reading on MFP and found reliable information with these recommended sources above.

*Gain muscle and lose fat at the same time!*
    Yes! You can simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat, especially if you are beginning or intermediate bodybuilder – its tougher for advanced bodybuilders. Don’t believe those bulker/cutters who claim that you have to get fat to gain muscle, that’s a myth! To gain muscle at the same time as you are losing fat follow exactly the same nutritional advice as above – no difference. To add muscle, all you need to do is add a good resistance training program.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I don't think we are trying to be bodybuilders! lol I understood that unless you go crazy with weights you will not build enough muscle to impede weight loss....I am no expert though.... :ohwell:

Jean
  • smilesback
    Options
    Thanks! I am in no danger of impedance!
  • 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Very difficult at our age to "build" new muscle but you can make your existing muscles stronger and lose weight at the same time.

I started lifting heavier weights a few months ago, and also intervals on the bike. The lifting program has varied but in general I do 3 or 4 different exercises back to back with only a 30 second rest between then a longer rest for a couple of mins, then repeat 3 or 4 times. Because you are not having much rest between sets you get a good cardio workout as well. I've lost about 22 lbs since I started at the beginning of February, and my muscles are starting to come through. They were there before - you just couldn't see them! Still have the dreaded bingo wings though, but even those are starting to tighten up. Stomach fat is being very slow to go, but nevertheless have lost over 4 inches off my waist, back fat has almost disappeared.

I would highly recommend lifting as heavy as you can simply because being strong is better than not being strong. I've not done much regular cardio work, but the intervals I've done in the gym combined with a few short 15 minute runs have built up my stamina to the extent that I was able to run outside for 30 minutes a few weeks ago, and last weekend managed an unplanned 5k in 37 minutes. Not fast, but I had a mental block about being able to run any length of time without stopping.

I say go for it, you won't regret it. When I started I was really starting to feel like I was an old lady, stiff, sluggish and no energy. Now you can't keep me out of the gym!

I should say however that I had a prior interest in weightlifting as I used to do it competitively in my thirties, and have trained with weight on and off for the last 35 years not always seriously. Just the last five years have been a real bummer.

I was 60 last year and hopefully I've got my act together now and can stop the rot setting in any further and make amends for my bad years. I don't have any health problems to worry about either, so no excuses.

The number on the scale is not that important - I'm losing slower than I would like, but the inches are coming off quite well.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/home-workout-plans/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/losing-weight-and-building-6-pack-abs/#eatless

Hi everyone, I kept reading on MFP and found reliable information with these recommended sources above.

*Gain muscle and lose fat at the same time!*
    Yes! You can simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat, especially if you are beginning or intermediate bodybuilder – its tougher for advanced bodybuilders. Don’t believe those bulker/cutters who claim that you have to get fat to gain muscle, that’s a myth! To gain muscle at the same time as you are losing fat follow exactly the same nutritional advice as above – no difference. To add muscle, all you need to do is add a good resistance training program.

You are completely right; to add muscle you have to do resistance exercise. However you need to have a calorie surplus to build muscle, because you can't make something out of nothing. It's simple science !
    There is a very small chance that a very new beginner can get some muscle building out of the first two month of weight lifting, or that a very obese person can do the same. But the amount is negligible ( usually less than half a pound ). People often confuse the losing of fat in the weight loss process with gaining muscle, while in reality it is just muscle that has always been there that shows more when fat goes away. Other people confuse improved muscle strength with muscle gain. A person can gain a lot of muscle strength by using the muscles more efficiently, without ever gaining muscle mass.
    I am a former dedicated weightlifter ( during 15 years ) and had to quit though because of cancer and other related health problems and now past my mid 60's can only expect to gain strength ( which is perfectly fine with me ), but not mass, because not only can I no longer lift like before, but as a woman my whole hormone make-up is not in my favor. However the biggest point is that I eat at a deficit and it is not possible for hormonally challenged older women to build muscle mass, even with heavy lifting.
    At this point in my life I like the fact that weightlifting increases bone density more than any other activity, supplements or diet can. After a bone density scan in 2013 I found out that I have the bone density of a 40-45 year old woman. That is someone 20 plus - 25 plus years younger than I !
  • redzz16
    redzz16 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The question is....what is the quality of food you are eating? Stay away from processed, "low fat" or "low calorie" foods....they are not natural. Don't eat power bar type things or meal replacements....stick to food in it's natural state. it might be what the calories ARE that is slowing you down, not the number. Limit breads and pasta and eat whole grain whenever possible.