New 'Round These Parts

Options
acidstained
acidstained Posts: 35 Member
Good evening!

I just joined the group and wanted to say hello. I have started the C25k program several times in my life, but I've never finished it. I am currently between Week 3 and Week 4. What I mean by that is that I tried to move to Week 4 and just about died (:laugh: ), yet Week 3 is a lot less challenging than it was in the beginning. I'm going to cycle through Week 3 one more time and then attempt Week 4 again, so we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping to be able to participate in at least a couple 5ks this summer, so that is my motivation.

I'm looking forward to reading about the successes and struggles that others doing the program are experiencing. Best of luck to everyone on their C25k journey!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I trust that you'll find the motivation here to help you complete the programme. For what it's worth I took 12 weeks to complete the programme, had to repeat weeks a couple of times.

I've just looked at the programme for week 4 and I'd suggest that what you're experiencing is more of a psychological hurdle than a physical one. None of the run periods are much more than you've already done, although the total time that you're running is a bit more.

You'll note that the typical advice for challenging sessions is to slow down, and it's worth repeating here.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a good, solid start.

The number one best piece of advice I was given was to slow down (as MeanderingMam says). Beginners tend to start out running too quickly. Test yourself: while running, can you speak a short sentence easily? If you're panting & pushing each word out, slow down.
    C25K will help you build up your stamina and speed will come by itself, with time.

Keep posting your progress here. There will be some difficult days but it's such a wonderful feeling to getting better and better that it is all worth it. And in the end, you'll be able to run for 30 minutes straight! How awesome is that??!!
  • acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I decided to run again tonight, since my run last night wasn't really even challenging. I didn't finish the first 5 minute run, but I was able to finish the second one by making a conscious effort to run stupidly slow (actually, I was going so slow, I don't even think you can call it running). In the past, I've been able to finish the first run and not the second, so that's kind of interesting. I just switched from running on a treadmill at the gym to running outside, though, so I'm sure I'm still in some sort of an adjustment phase.

Long story short, thanks for the advice. I am the type of person that tends to push myself too hard to fast, so I'm going to try and find a happy medium in my future C25k adventures.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
    Transitioning from treadmill to outdoors takes some time, too....at least, it did for me. I was surprised at how far back it put me but it only takes a few runs to catch yourself back up. Running outdoors is so much nicer than the treadmill.

You're doing great!