I'm officially ditching the Bodymedia!

Options
tigerblue
tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
Okay, so today I disconnected MFP from my Bodymedia. I have worn it now for just short of a year, and my weight is up 8 lbs. I have consistently eaten under the calorie burns it gives me. In fact, I have not gone over a single time, and usually I have a deficit of at least 300. And that is after I reduced my height in my profile. With my height recorded correctly, I would have a deficit over 500. But I am gaining instead of losing. I so wanted the Bodymedia to work, but I am done with it!

Replies

• freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It took me about 8 months to figure out that my BFM was overestimating my burn by 12%. I had been aiming for a deficit of 10-15%, so that meant I had actually been eating at maintenance on the days where I thought I was on a deficit and was eating a surplus on days I thought I was eating at maintenance. Now that I know this, and have adjusted my daily calorie goal for this, the weight is finally starting to creep off.

What are you going to do instead?
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree that the BMF can sometimes overestimate your burn, but it is even more likely that our food tracking isn't entirely accurate. If we don't weigh everything, sometimes guesstimate, especially for restaurant meals, etc. those variables and inaccuracies can make a big difference. Whatever I want my deficit to be, I plan for 250 calories more than that to account for these variables, whether it be BMF's burn estimate or my food logging. So, if I want to lose a pound a week, I shoot for a 750 deficit per day rather than 500. It has worked pretty well for me.

I tend to think the BMF is so accurate (at least for me) that it doesn't leave any wiggle room for my logging mistakes, which is why your deficit can get eaten up quickly. Before the BMF I had a Fitbit, and lost weight well with it. However, I was getting tired and dizzy eating within the Fitbit deficit when I increased my workouts. I wore both devices at the same time for a few months and compared the data. What I found was what I expected: on days when I was basically sedentary other than for my workout time, the burn level was fairly close between the devices (within 100 calories of each other). On most days, though, when I am standing in the kitchen for hours cooking and doing dishes, folding laundry, scurrying around but in a small area taking tiny steps that aren't usually counted by Fitbit, etc., the BMF burn was 250-500 calories higher! That tells me that the BMF does a much better job of counting ALL of my activity, not just the step-based ones. Since the Fitbit wasn't doing this and therefore underestimating my burn, I had a much greater cushion in my deficit to account for logging inaccuracies. I feel much better having a higher calorie allowance with the BMF and I have lost weight with it, but only if I am diligent about weighing and counting every morsel that passes my lips. That's why I prefer to use the more accurate device (BMF) but shoot for a slightly higher deficit to account for those extra unlogged nibbles...

If you do want to try something new without the monthly fee, I would strongly recommend the Fitbit Zip. It is very inexpensive and more accurate than the wrist-worn ones because it is worn on the torso. It also doesn't need to be charged, just change the watch batteries every 4 months. Fitbit has a great website and generates excellent reports, all free! Just keep in mind that your burn will be underestimated, so eat back any exercise calories it gives you!

Good luck :)
  • tigerblue
    Options
    I plan to use an online calculator and then just record my intake and watch results for confirmation.

Most calculators estimate from 1650-1850 for me. Bodymedia was estimating 2200-2500. That is a big difference! I was eating about 1600 and maintaining or slowly gaining. Even if my logging was off 10% that doesn't get close. And I weigh most everything at home. Of course you never know with restaurant food.

I am still wearing Bodymedia but will not connect it to MFP.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ever since the new algorythms....my Core has been overestimating my burn. Also, before this recent upgrade, I could drive with it on and it would NOT show an uptick in my calorie burn. Now....it says Im moving when all I'm doing is driving. ARGH!!!!

I am not wearing it for about a month to see if I really need it anymore.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I ditched mine (core) after the algorhythm change as well. It started overestimating by about 500 cals a day! I'm back with the fitbit now, which is okay, but I miss my old & accurate BM core.
  • giggalz
    giggalz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    hmm i've been questioning its accuracy..I rely on my BMF over anything..including Fitbit that I still wear..to me its just a fancy pedometer..I wanted more..I wanted to know how much I was really burning in a day..which is why i bought the BMF..I've emailed them recently questioning how accurate it was for me...I've had mine since august and havent lost and now working out for two hours...and still nothing..although their response was to redownload their firmware...dont see how thats helped any..I rely on this thing so much I dont know if I could ever part with it..I'd feel lost...lol
  • dmw45
    dmw45 Posts: 73
    Options
    Ohhhh well that may explain why I was so succesful w/the BMF and then not all of a sudden after that. I assumed it was me doing it wrong becuase I party too hard on weekends or whatever but yeah, i havent lost weight in about a year and have gained some back.

Truth is that i was happy for the maintenence but I hated being stuck like that for so long so I bought I basis watch which I just got and have been wearing for a few hours now.

Figured a new device would breathe new life into my efforts.
    also wearing that arm band became a real drag.

The basis.. i dont know what i think of it yet but its big for a watch... still i bought it because it looks like a watch! and its meant to know when you're biking which will be a motivator for me to bike... which is good for my knee. The BMF thinks I'm just sitting there when I ride my bike and I get a calorie burn of like 200-300 for an hours ride. Made me not want to bother.

The basis doesnt connect with MFP :( but then the number the BMF gave me on here was never quite right and I ignored it anyway. I just went by what it said on the BMF site.

What i do like about it, and why I bought it is that it has a display that shows calories burned, steps and heart rate right there on my wrist without me logging in or connecting to anything anywhere.

I had great success with the BMF when I first bought it and I dont want to be mad at it. I am selling it on ebay. it's at $40 with 11 watchers right now. It'll offset the cost of the Basis band... which I'm saving the box for in case i hate it so I can sell it on ebay.

THeres a lot of better looking choices out there these days but I'm most concerned with function. Also this thing has better/more charts and things to look at for no monthly fee. It's also more game-ified if you like that.

Wish I'd read this first and I may have known it was overestimating my burn .... but then the fitbit is not and never was the most accurate one so if you're comparing numbers on the two devices, the BMF is meant to be the more accurate one. I'm a housekeeper and I spend hours a day doing stuff like walking a few steps here and there and the BMF is way more accurate at counting that sort of thing than the fitbit.

Still, I've grown tired of my BMF after a year so I'm excited to try something new. On to the next device!
  • tigerblue
    Options
    So I have disconnected BMF from MFP, but I am still wearing the BMF mostly as a pedometer, since it seems to count my steps and movements well. It just figures my calorie burn incorrectly.

As I mentioned, I had adjusted my height In the BMF profile so that it would at least be in the ballpark of what is reasonable and what most online calculators predict for my burn. But I had to enter my height as 3 feet 4 inches! (I am 5'2.5"). So yesterday just for fun I put the BMF profile at 5'3" to see if it had adjusted to me, as the company claims.

Well, yesterday it said I burned 2400 calories, and I didn't even work out. If I had gone for a run, it would have been around 2800.

There is no way that is even close for me. I am 5'2.5" and I weigh under 130 lbs. I am what I would consider lightly active, in that I am up and down in my job, not sitting at a desk. I have been tracking carefully for the past four months ( longer really, but I got a new food scale for christmas so I am even more accurate now). And I am maintaining at 1600 cals a day, which is in line with most calculators, although a little low.

So I was hopeful that it might be more accurate now, but I am conceding that it is not accurate for me. And warning folks that although it works for many, it doesn't work for everyone.
  • giggalz
    giggalz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mine will claim I should be burning so much..and I'm like yeah IF i worked out for maybe 2 hours plus something else...i never thought to adjust height though..I click to customize what it gives me to have a lower burn..which means they want me to eat less...Which lately has been way to low for me and I've been starving all day long (not sure if the weight training has kicked in or just going through a weird phase)..I will play around with the height though...I wish there was a little more customization for this device though
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love my BMF Link and can't imagine giving it up. I researched everything and it seemed to be the most accurate and able to calculate for majority of my activities... the only activity that has been off thus far is when I'm on my recumbent bike, but in that case I move it to my calf and I'm good to go. The only other option I considered was getting a heart rate monitor, but the chest bands are the most accurate, and I liked the fact that I could wear the BMF all day and get an overall calorie burn, plus sleep information.

Nothing is 100%... there is nothing that will calculate calories burned to a T, and no matter how accurate someone tries to be with logging it won't be perfect... even with weighing food, etc. one can get very close, but likely not perfect. And with logging any food that posts calories on the package can be off 15-20%... which can really add up. Compound that variance over multiple foods and portion inconsistencies and that can add up to quite a few calories.

It's all about calorie deficit. Yes, in a perfect world a 1000 cal per day deficit would result in a 2lb loss for the week. Unfortunately there are other factors at play (bloating, muscle gains, etc.) and one's weight can vary up to 2lbs on any given day
    over the course of the day.

If I found my numbers were consistent and I had a 3500-7000 cal deficit for the week and was consistently not losing I would aim for a higher deficit (increased activity or increased activity combined with less cals consumed) and figure out what deficit I need to start/keep losing. It's that simple. Frankly with the inaccuracy for nutitional values and if someone is eye-balling portions they could actually have consumed 200-500 calories more than what they logged. In that case no device (unless it's inaccurately calculating lower than actual calories burned consistently) would product results.

All that being said, there is room for improvement and I can't wait to see what the Core 2 can offer (whenever it FINALLY gets released). In the meantime I'll continue wearing my BMF Link. :wink:
  • anthonybsmith
    anthonybsmith Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I notice that you haven't mentioned your diet and exercise plan, only the device. The device only tracks data. That being said, we would have to have more details about your lifestyle to reply whether or not the move is a valid one. In the end, it doesn't matter which device one has to track data, if the other factors that are significant to body fat and weight loss, then the device itself is of no significance.

I recently purchase a food scale and weigh everything. I'm eating less, but more nutrient dense foods and feel much better. Correct portion sizes, combined with counting my macros and the Skogg Kettlebell system, I have noticed decreases in both weight and body fat in a short period of time.

Tracking is great, however I come from an athletic background and understand one simple thing, nothing is going to replace hard work and dedication. I would encourage you to examine your program with a trained professional so that you can meet your goals. I use IIFYM.com to determine what my "Macros" should be. I will also enlist the aid of a dietitian and trainer as I have goals to compete within the next 24 months.

You can meet your goals with or without the device. However, goals can't be met without a solid game plan and proper support system.
  • tigerblue
    Options
    Just a little more info:

Over four years ago I lost 40 lbs using MFP's numbers, and logging food and exercise. Basically, I just stayed under my calorie goal, eating back most exercise calories. I didn't worry about macros, but I exercised almost daily (combination of cardio and circuit training, more cardio days, thoug). I kept it off completely for about a year, and then started a slow creep up of about 17 lbs. A year ago I got the BMF to help me maintain. The BMF tracks my movements well, but calculates my calorie burn really high--2400-2800 a day, and I weigh mid 120s, I'm short, middle aged, and female. Most calculators predict 1600-1900 per day. (I exercise about 3 hrs. Per week total). 2800 is not a realistic number unless I am a construction worker, or do two a days or something!

After watching things carefully for a year (tightening up my logging, weighing and measuring carefully, etc) I see that if I eat around 1600-1700 I maintain, more than that I gain. I lose slooowwly eating about 1400 a day ( lose about 1/3 lb per week).

I run 3-5 days a week, usually 30-40 minutes, and on the other two days I lift for about 30 minutes, and sometimes add a walk if I have time. I go for 25-25-50 on my macros, and usually hit about 20 protein and 30 fat.

So I feel pretty confident in my numbers as they are backed by results, both good and bad!

My theory is that the formulas used by BMF are for average sized people, and my height and weight put me outside the averages, thus the discrepancy. I think it would probably work for larger folks. But time has proven that it doesn't work for me. During the past year, most days I ate between 1500 and 2000 calories. I don't think I went over 2000 more than two or three times (holidays). So there is no way 2400-2800 could be what I was actually burning.
  • tigerblue
    Options
    Just a little more info:

Over four years ago I lost 40 lbs using MFP's numbers, and logging food and exercise. Basically, I just stayed under my calorie goal, eating back most exercise calories. I didn't worry about macros, but I exercised almost daily (combination of cardio and circuit training, more cardio days, thoug). I kept it off completely for about a year, and then started a slow creep up of about 17 lbs. A year ago I got the BMF to help me maintain. The BMF tracks my movements well, but calculates my calorie burn really high--2400-2800 a day, and I weigh mid 120s, I'm short, middle aged, and female. Most calculators predict 1600-1900 per day. (I exercise about 3 hrs. Per week total). 2800 is not a realistic number unless I am a construction worker, or do two a days or something!

After watching things carefully for a year (tightening up my logging, weighing and measuring carefully, etc) I see that if I eat around 1600-1700 I maintain, more than that I gain. I lose slooowwly eating about 1400 a day ( lose about 1/3 lb per week).

I run 3-5 days a week, usually 30-40 minutes, and on the other two days I lift for about 30 minutes, and sometimes add a walk if I have time. I go for 25-25-50 on my macros, and usually hit about 20 protein and 30 fat.

So I feel pretty confident in my numbers as they are backed by results, both good and bad!

My theory is that the formulas used by BMF are for average sized people, and my height and weight put me outside the averages, thus the discrepancy. I think it would probably work for larger folks. But time has proven that it doesn't work for me. During the past year, most days I ate between 1500 and 2000 calories. I don't think I went over 2000 more than two or three times (holidays). So there is no way 2400-2800 could be what I was actually burning.
  • akdetweiler
    akdetweiler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have also disconnected my BMF from MFP it was way too confusing and if I had actually eaten back all of my "exercise" calories, I would have gained weight! I stopped losing almost immediately after starting the BMF program. I am still using the armband, as I have found it does pretty accurately measure my cals burned during workouts. Interesting though, I am also short and middle aged, so wonder if they need to correct their algorithm for us :wink:
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i am going to cancel my subscription. i have not lost anything as i find it overestimates my calorie burn anywhere from 12% to 16%.

i also have a Fitbit and find this to be much better for me
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about ditching mine. It's worked pretty well for me, BUT it has now developed a hole where the button is. This is because over the past 4 - 6 months I can't get it to sync with my phone unless I constantly push that button and reconnect the bluetooth. I don't think it will last much longer. When it is time to replace, I will probably look into something else. I would have gladly upgraded to the core II, but the company has been so sketchy about it that I don't feel confident in using it even if they ever do bother to release it.

I am considering something like the MIO Alpha. I use an HRM when I am doing resistance or strength training and it seems a lot more accurate. The MIO reviews are not great, though.

This is the MIO Alpha: http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Strapless-Continuous-Heart-Monitor/dp/B00BJ6HLDI/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1400456154&sr=1-1
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    A HRM doesn't accurately work unless it is steady state cardio.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I notice that you haven't mentioned your diet and exercise plan, only the device. The device only tracks data. That being said, we would have to have more details about your lifestyle to reply whether or not the move is a valid one. In the end, it doesn't matter which device one has to track data, if the other factors that are significant to body fat and weight loss, then the device itself is of no significance.

I recently purchase a food scale and weigh everything. I'm eating less, but more nutrient dense foods and feel much better. Correct portion sizes, combined with counting my macros and the Skogg Kettlebell system, I have noticed decreases in both weight and body fat in a short period of time.

Tracking is great, however I come from an athletic background and understand one simple thing, nothing is going to replace hard work and dedication. I would encourage you to examine your program with a trained professional so that you can meet your goals. I use IIFYM.com to determine what my "Macros" should be. I will also enlist the aid of a dietitian and trainer as I have goals to compete within the next 24 months.

You can meet your goals with or without the device. However, goals can't be met without a solid game plan and proper support system.

THIS THIS ALL OF THIS!!!
  • tigerblue
    Options

THIS THIS ALL OF THIS!!!

I'm not really asking for validation of my decision. My results over time have validated that. I am simply putting this out there to let others know that the device may be helpful for some, but it does not work for everyone.

Here is my story in a little more detail.

Four years ago I lost 40+ lbs over 11 months by following MFP guidelines, logging all food and exercising, and staying under the goal that was given me. (At that time I was logging all exercise and eating back most if not all calories, just as recommended). It worked like a charm. I learned to stay within a calorie allowance, and I learned to love exercise, mostly running. Most importantly I learned how to fit in regular exercise. I maintained that loss for about a year. At that point I started a slow gain over the next year or so of about 15+ lbs (I give approximate weights because of course it varies from day to day). Last year I got a Bodymedia to help me find my maintenance and then relose the extra lbs.

Immediately it seemed that the device was reading high, since it was giving me a burn of around 2800 cals a day. Now that is extremely high considering at the time I weighed 122 lbs and I am 5'2.5" tall. I am at best lightly active in everyday life plus I exercise about 30-45 minutes most days (I try to alternate run days with lifting, circuit training, or yoga). And I am 46 and female. Most any calculator out there predict a burn of under 2000 calories to maintain. Many say around 1800 per day. That is a big difference from 2800!

About 8 months ago I started comparing my intake to my weight to see trends. And suddenly I noticed that on weeks I averaged about 1600-1700 cals, I maintained. If I averaged more, then I gained. If I averaged under 1500 per day, I lost verrry slooowwly. All of that is in line with the online calculators, but none of that matches the numbers I get from BMF.

Also, I weigh most of my food (all of it when I eat at home) and I measure if I can't weigh. So I have at least a degree of accuracy here. I try to eat 25/25/50 for protein/fat/carbs. I usually hit about 20/30/50. I keep sugar reasonable, but I do have occaisional treats. When they fit within my calorie goal.

Now that I have set my daily goal for 1400 cals a day (I include exercise now instead of logging separately) I am losing about 0.4 lbs per week. Again, that loosely fits the calculators. When I was using the BMF numbers, I did nothing but gain. And I never averaged close to 2800 cals a day! Most days I was no more than 2000.

Again, not looking for validation, just a warning for Bodymedia users.

My theory is that BMF bases it's calculations on average sized people, and I am well below average both in height and weight. It is like the bell curve. Likely it will work well for those in the middle of the population. But smaller folks use with caution.
  • tigerblue
    Options
    I have also disconnected my BMF from MFP it was way too confusing and if I had actually eaten back all of my "exercise" calories, I would have gained weight! I stopped losing almost immediately after starting the BMF program. I am still using the armband, as I have found it does pretty accurately measure my cals burned during workouts. Interesting though, I am also short and middle aged, so wonder if they need to correct their algorithm for us :wink:

I think you are exactly right!