blood sugar crash

kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
Had one today, I tend to eat when I'm hungry, and wasn't at lunch, so I went to the library instead. BIG mistake, I couldn't figure out why I felt so weak just walking around. Then I broke out in a sweat, and it wasn't hot in there. By the time I got checked out, I really felt sick, drove home as quick as I could and wolfed down some PB& J. Not the best choice, but I needed something quick. Then I slept all afternoon. This is ridiculous, do I have to stick to a schedule with food now?

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    A food schedule does help, but it kind of depends on your medications. For example when I was on a long acting insulin, I really did have to keep to a schedule or I would go low. Now that I'm just on metformin, which doesn't cause lows, I can be more flexible.

I learned the hard way to always have a pack with snacks and a glucose meter when exercising after I nearly passed out from a crash. That was when I was still on insulin, and I haven't had another episode since, but I do still carry a fanny pack to the gym or on my bike with a snack and meter.

I always carry a couple of snacks in my purse. They aren't necessarily for low blood sugar, but for if I get hungry so I have something healthy to snack on instead of being tempted to grab something less nutritious. However they will do in a pinch if my sugar gets low.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    I always carry a snack and my meter. It can be very dangerous, I act drunk when I'm low and most people will walk around you or ignore you because they think you're drunk. They don't know you need help. I also eat a small bit even if I'm not hungry. You are a diabetic skipping meals is not a good idea. Last month I had a stomach flu of some kind. I DID NOT want any food, and may not have been able to keep it down. I nibbled on crackers( I normally stay away from wheat products) it was the only thing with diet ginger ale that would stay down. My blood sugars where crazy, but I didn't want to crash.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I had that occasionally both with metformin and after I started glipizide, every time was late morning and I would get real shaky and couldn't think. I started carrying a tube of glucose tablets in my purse just in case. I haven't had one of those in the last month so I think my body is getting used to the meds and evening out the glucose a little more.
  • kamaperry
    Thanks all. I'm going to start keeping something to eat in my purse, I was totally unprepared. The Librarian looked at me funny, but she didn't say anything. I was ok on just the Metformin, but he also put me on Glimeperide, since my blood sugar wasn't coming down, and that did it. Where do you get glucose tabs?
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    These episodes whenever-wherever they happen are very scary, and can also be very dangerous events too. I'm glad you made it home safely.

Fast acting glucose tabs can be found at your local pharmacy. They most often come in tubes of ten tabs, each tab provides 4g of fast acting carbs. I've found each tab raises my blood sugars by 8 points. The level of rise is going to be different for each of us with the common goal of avoiding an over correction too.

It's important to use your meter during these episodes to find out how low you actually are. This information will help determine how many tabs you'll need in taking action-to quickly bring your blood sugars back up to a safe level.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    These episodes whenever-wherever they happen are very scary, and can also be very dangerous events too. I'm glad you made it home safely.

Fast acting glucose tabs can be found at your local pharmacy. They most often come in tubes of ten tabs, each tab provides 4g of fast acting carbs. I've found each tab raises my blood sugars by 8 points. The level of rise is going to be different for each of us with the common goal of avoiding an over correction too.

For me, one tab was enough to get rid of the shakes long enough to get home or prepare a quick meal. Like you said, each person will react differently. I got mine at my local Walgreens.
  • That must have been scary kamaperry! Glimeperide acts differently than Metformin, in that it increases the amount of insulin your pancreas produces. You really do need to eat when you take it to make sure that your blood sugar doesn't drop. A combination of prevention and always carrying a carbohydrate source with you, and testing your blood sugar to be sure you're in a safe level is going to be helpful. Please talk with your doctor about this as well, and get her recommendations. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    That must have been scary kamaperry! Glimeperide acts differently than Metformin, in that it increases the amount of insulin your pancreas produces. You really do need to eat when you take it to make sure that your blood sugar doesn't drop. A combination of prevention and always carrying a carbohydrate source with you, and testing your blood sugar to be sure you're in a safe level is going to be helpful. Please talk with your doctor about this as well, and get her recommendations. ~Lynn /Glucerna
    Very scary!! Never felt so weird, I will get some of those glucose tabs, for now keeping a granola bar with me. I was extremely scared, and then it wiped me out. If it happens again, i will test, I was too freaked out to think about it. I'm going to call my dr on monday, too.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Haven't had a crash in months, since before I stopped taking insulin in March. But I had one today while exercising.

Had lunch about noon, went to the gym at 1p. Lifted weights for about 35 minutes and then did 34 minutes on the elliptical. Struggled the last few minutes on the elliptical. When I got off the machine I felt a little off balance, but that isn't unusual when I first get off the elliptical. However it didn't go away, and I started to get dizzy, light headed and tunnel vision. I grabbed my fanny pack and headed to the lobby where there are chairs. Sat down and tested and my blood sugar was 74. Considering I am always on the high side right after exercise that was not good. I ate a protein bar that I keep in my 'kit' and tested 15 minutes later. I was up to 83, which was high enough to feel comfortable driving home.

I feel like a dork carrying a fanny pack around the gym with me, but I was so happy I had it today. As I have lost weight and reduced meds, I have had fewer hypo episodes, and this caught me by surprise. Going to keep an eye on by BG the rest of the afternoon.
  • kamaperry
    Haven't had a crash in months, since before I stopped taking insulin in March. But I had one today while exercising.

Had lunch about noon, went to the gym at 1p. Lifted weights for about 35 minutes and then did 34 minutes on the elliptical. Struggled the last few minutes on the elliptical. When I got off the machine I felt a little off balance, but that isn't unusual when I first get off the elliptical. However it didn't go away, and I started to get dizzy, light headed and tunnel vision. I grabbed my fanny pack and headed to the lobby where there are chairs. Sat down and tested and my blood sugar was 74. Considering I am always on the high side right after exercise that was not good. I ate a protein bar that I keep in my 'kit' and tested 15 minutes later. I was up to 83, which was high enough to feel comfortable driving home.

I feel like a dork carrying a fanny pack around the gym with me, but I was so happy I had it today. As I have lost weight and reduced meds, I have had fewer hypo episodes, and this caught me by surprise. Going to keep an eye on by BG the rest of the afternoon.
    Wow, scary!! I don't keep my monitor with me, maybe I should? Glad you were so well prepared!