Is this keto flu 8 weeks in??

kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
WHen I started I had none of the syptoms I've read about for keto flu, I felt a little tired but other than that I was doing great. For the last few days I've felt a bit light headed, weak in the legs, and today I feel like I have a fever, clammy & sweaty plus low grade headaches for a couple of days. I've been taking Magnesium and have upped my Salt (with the potassium in it) but I'm still feeling like crap basically.

Last week I had one day with a bit higher carb (usually I'm under 20 g a day and that one day I was approx 40g, it was easter dinner :ohwell: ), That one meal dropped my Ketone readings from approximately 1.0 down to 0.3. Today has been the highest in a while & it was only 0.4 (thats after waking). Could this set back put my body back into keto flu mode even though I didn't have any of these issues when I started?? I have barely been able to exercise, even walking up stairs is exhausting me.

I was really hoping I'd be one of those people who just falls easily into ketosis & goes about their business, losing weight willy nilly. Apparently thats not gonna happen, lol. My mother always said I go about things the hard way. :tongue:

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    It's very possible. The last real attempt I gave keto/low-carb, I never got any of the flu symptoms either. Then about 4 months in, I thought I had the real flu, despite a flu shot. Turned out I just took longer to show the symptoms I guess. The "flu" showed up when I was exercising A LOT and eating at about 10g of carbs. I upped my carbs to 20-25g and took a week off of exercise. It confused my body enough to kick it out of the flu.

It's strange how our bodies work, isn't it?

Oh, and don't get hung up on the numbers (weight, blood ketones, etc.). Go with how you feel. Your body will tell you if you're doing it right :)
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    I think everyone reacts so differently it's hard to tell. I didn't have any real symptoms early on but about two months in i could barely walk up a flight of stairs as my legs felt so weak and tired.(this has now passed and i can fly up stairs!) I cant say i've experienced the super energy boost others have either but i do feel more energetic and am reluctant now to sit for hours on the computer (for example) i feel the need / urge to be busy doing anything / something rather than just being lazy. It's very different and i'm enjoying the benefits. And yes i know this doesn't really help!!:smile::drinker:
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Lol, actually it helps a lot. Just knowing I'm not the only one feeling like I'm dragging my *kitten* around makes me feel better.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Also we have to remember that if we feel fatigue, we need to have extra sodium. I drink a cup of beef broth just to make sure :))