I've made my way back to this thread....

Options
BDOUG2371
BDOUG2371 Posts: 29 Member
I've been gone for a long time. Used to check this thread out. I'm sick of overrating. I need some help. A pep talk or something. I'm in East Haven.
I'm 43 and need some kind of plan. I've been out of work with a herniated disc, pinched nerve & spinal stenosis. I'm 378 lbs and have been binging. I had been down to 368 but when we grab something to eat I have the mindset of getting grilled chicken and then I end up thinking I'm missing out on the good fatty foods and it depresses me so I get the fatty food and then after I eat I feel depressed anyway. Does this sound familiar to anybody? Am I the only one? I can't lift weights or bend due to my back problem. Walking starts hurting my back after 5-10 min. I can do it in intervals though. Does that still burn fat? I'm from Connecticut. Anyone else here from Connecticut? I'm not a salad person and when I have tried it I don't like dressings. I'm hopeless. I was 220 lbs 20 years ago. I miss it! :( how do I get started????

Replies

• rogermedic71
    rogermedic71 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel with regards to difficulty getting started. I've started and stopped so many times I lost count. I think the first thing you have to do is approach this as a lifestyle change and not think of how you are depriving yourself. Any activity is better than nothing. If you can walk in intervals, do it. Try to push yourself a little farther each time. I'm no Doctor but walking is better for the back than sitting. If you haven't consulted a doctor about your weight loss troubles do it. I found out I had some endocrine issues making weight loss difficult. I find that low carb diets work best for me. I have had the most success with this and I feel better and am less hungry. I avoid all bread, sugar, pasta, rice, potatoes, baked goods. If you don't like salads try vegetables other ways. I love roasted vegetables with a little olive oil, balsamic and seasoning. I eat a lot of eggs, meat, nuts, cheese in moderation and find it easy to stay under my calorie limit. I have one cheat day a week but not all day. I'll have some carbs or that's when I have a few or more drinks. Good luck man.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

If you're struggling, reduce your calorie goal. Losing a little (or even maintaining) is better than gaining. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • proudgamer
    proudgamer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a chronic illness that makes sticking to workouts a challenge, and I have a tendency to over snack when I am distracted or upset or in pain. So in this respect I am in a similar situation.

I try to keep myself distracted, If I am playing video games, doing things with my hands I can't snack. Likewise time spent reading or meditating also lowers stress and keeps me from snacking.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling, reduce your calorie goal. Losing a little (or even maintaining) is better than gaining.
    Sorry, I meant to say decrease your weight-loss goal (your deficit). Which will increase your calories, not lower them.

You lose weight by eating at a deficit—eating fewer calories than you burn. Exercise is good for you, but it's not required to lose weight.

You can eat anything you want as long as you stay within your calorie goal. Any. thing.

Please, read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants