Homemade liquid chalk

JeffseekingV
JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
Chalk works great. It's eliminated my need for straps and I'm able to keep form much better than straps, gloves etc..... No one at the Y has complained yet but I still leave little piles of chalk from when I have to use it. Even with the chalk ball, it gets all over the place. I have to go back and clean those areas on the floor.

I went ahead and bought Liquid Grip from Amazon just to try it. It works great but it's expensive for what it is. I recently spilled what I had all over the car seat so I suddenly ran out. Instead of buying more, I noticed people making their own. I had both ingredients and wanted to use up the dry chalk I already had. I used this link for the ratio. 2:1. But ended up just mixing it to where I liked it. Basically it has to be loose enough to pour into the bottle that the old liquid grip ran out of.

http://www.adventurerock.com/uncategorized/diy-liquid-chalk/

It was really easy. I tried it at home and it seemed to work well. But won't know how well until I get into the gym to try it. The Liquid Grip you applied once or twice though the workout. That's it. I think I might have to do this more with the homemade stuff but that's okay. The reduction in the mess will be worth it.

BTW I might try to mix a batch using the hand sanitizer as it's thicker and might contain the "thickener" that the Liquid Grip mentions on the bottle.

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Tried it out. Not bad. Not as sticky as Liquid Grip and it still got all over the plates etc... the missing ingredient might be Rosin. Might buy a small amount.

Makes sense as Liquid Grip is sort of a tan color while my DIY stuff is as white as normal chalk