Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• KoraMT
    KoraMT Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kora. I started out hating running, I currently have a mild dislike for it as I am running more and getting better at it. I have signed up for a few triathlons this year and a 10k, both of which are new to me. I'm also signed up for three more mud runs (one already done this year) . I need to sign up for things in order to motivate myself.

I run about 3 times a week. My goal for this month is 50 miles. Baby steps....

• mremmgee
    mremmgee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm Miles. Live in UK (East Anglia) and having have decided to set myself a few goals am now running more than I ever have done. Really beginning to enjoy running, which I previously hated!!

Like swimming, love cycling, learning to love running!!

Have a half Ironman triathlon in May and done my first half marathon last month. Hate hills!!

• bama_belle78
    bama_belle78 Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hey, I'm Amy. I'm getting back to running.
    I hope to run my first half this November.
    I've ran several 5k's 10k's and one 12k.
    I'm signed up for a spartan race in November so i'm working on gaining muscle as well.
    my goal is to run 3 or 4 times a week then long runs every other sat morning. Scheduling with my litteones prevent every sat.
    gradually adding hills into my runs. Working on distance rather than pace. I feel like pace will come with time. 6+ miles my pace is a little over 11 mins.

Happy to be here and looking forward to the motivation!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wNApSz2/exercise.png
  • WellMum
    WellMum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ,I'm Linda. I've been an on again off again runner my whole life. But have been off for a few years and gained 20 lbs! Back up to doing 10 K's and training for a 1/2 in June. Looking for support and inspiration. Just bought a new pari of shoes yesterday - vey exciting!!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi. I'm married with two daughters and my wife is also on MFP. We've been on MFP a few years and I started running in 2009. I'm not what I would describe as a serious runner and started rather late in life due to asthma and loads of excuses. I'm working to improve though. I also lift weights 4-5 days a week and love backpacking, which I get to do only about once a year. Early on I did a couple of half marathons and some very long hiking challenges, but now I'm simply wanting to run shorter distances and improve my time doing so.

Thank you very much for putting this group together and leaving it so open.
  • pshara
    pshara Posts: 21 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi. I am Candice and I have been an on/off runner for years. After finishing the 5k and 10k of the Rock n Roll in Vegas back in Nov. I stopped running. I am preparing for my summer vacation and now need to get back to running. I'm excited to join the group and hope to find good inspiration and motivation.

exercise.png

• Brolivia3D
    Brolivia3D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    My name is Olivia, I'm 25, and a few months ago moved from NM to WI for a new job. I've been an on/off again runner for the past few years. I was forever big on team sports (basketball, volleyball, broomball, soccer, tennis), and I did run track in HS, but I was a sprinter/hurdler. The concept of running more than a mile was foreign to me for a very long time. Graduated HS, college, and it turns out running is a thing you can do even if you don't have someone with you. I lived in the southwest for 3 years and spent most of my time hiking there vs. running (altitude is a killer), but it seemed every few months I'd run consistently through the week and then just stop. Kinda sick of that *kitten*. New job, new location, new goals and all that.

I can perpetually crank out a 32-33 minute 5k, and I'd like to get a better time and maybe start placing in a few races, that'd be awesome. I've also signed up for a half marathon in the fall! I made a buddy of mine sign up with me in hopes of neither of us backing out. So I gotta start running on the regular and slowly build my mileage and keep an open mind about the whole process. I'm aiming for 3 days a week, cause I got a bunch of other stuff going on in life as well. So I'm hoping this will help keep me in check and pushing myself!

• Anabbee
    Anabbee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm a new runner, and am halfway through a couch to 10k program. I do a lot of walking, but am transitioning to running slowly.

I'm mum to a 2 year old, and struggling to lose weight, but I'm enjoying my increased fitness from the running.
  • asmalworld
    asmalworld Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone.
    My name is Asma 34 from Toronto,Canada. I have been running for a while now. I have ran 5,8, 10Km and now training for half marathon. My Pb is 52 Mins 10K.
    I run 4 days a week cycle 2 days + 1 day Yoga. beside running im a Mom of three boys, love coffee, outdoor, music, biking, happy to join the running group.
  • 19MotherRunner80
    19MotherRunner80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello All! My name is Jessica and l live on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. I have been running for about 6 years now and am pretty obsessed with it. I compete in races about once a month. Anything from 5k to 30km. I've done one full marathon, but have decided that the training for those is too much for me right now while I have little kids (2 and 6).

My favorite distance is the half-marathon and followed closely by 10k. My PR's are 1:39 half, 44 - 10k and 21 -5k. Feel free to add me as I love following other runners!

I also write race-recaps and training info on my blog: http://runningmommavi.blogspot.ca/
  • tamishascolyer
    tamishascolyer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tamisha and I am 31. After having 4 babies, I need to get back into shape. I am a very Beginner runner and I am currently doing the C25k, just finished W2D1. I would love to do at least 5ks a day. I am so happy that I found MFP because it helps me to stay on track and stay accountable for what I eat and how much I exercise.

I'm looking forward to this challenge
  • Katiebug89
    Katiebug89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Katie. I joined a local running group program in October 2015 and completed my first half marathon with them in December but I hit a wall with running during my 3rd half this March and came upon the dreaded "why". Why was I running for 3 hours straight? Seemed a bit redundant.

Since then, I've been less than consistent with my running group trainings. The increasing heat does NOT help either. (I live in FL)

BUT I'm determined to get back on the band wagon despite the temperature and am hoping to hit 60 miles by June. (2 miles a day)

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm Ruth. I'm not in any way shape or form a runner. I do CrossFit and I'm running to improve my metabolic condition to become better at CrossFit. My gym posted a mile WOD (workout of the day) on Monday that I'm going to try doing three times a week until I can easily run a mile. Of course it's broken up and I'll eventually start stringing it together. Then, I will work my way up to further distances. My mile time is a horrible 15:19 but it has been worse. No way to go but up (or down in terms of my mile time).

Monday's Wod:
    Run 100 m- rest one minute
    Run 200 m- rest one minute
    Run 400 m- rest one minute
    Run 800 m
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I'm Ruth. I'm not in any way shape or form a runner. I do CrossFit and I'm running to improve my metabolic condition to become better at CrossFit. My gym posted a mile WOD (workout of the day) on Monday that I'm going to try doing three times a week until I can easily run a mile. Of course it's broken up and I'll eventually start stringing it together. Then, I will work my way up to further distances. My mile time is a horrible 15:19 but it has been worse. No way to go but up (or down in terms of my mile time).

Monday's Wod:
    Run 200 m- rest one minute
    Run 400 m- rest one minute
    Run 800 m

Everybody has to start somewhere. When I set out to see if I could become a runner in August 2011, I found I could run for one minute. Then I had to slow to a walk for a minute. That was then, when I didn't know whether I could even become a real runner. (What is a "real runner" is another philosophical discussion!)

Now, I think of myself as a marathon runner. One minute isn't even enough for a warm up. But one minute is where I started.
  • BadMustache
    BadMustache Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Jenna. I am not a runner. I was a long time athlete in grade school, high school and college. After an injury in college I stopped everything, except for eating like an athlete. I am on a mission to get healthy again before I dive in to the world of motherhood. I would like running to be a bigger part of my lifestyle change. At the moment, I am doing walk/runs to build myself up to straight running. Please send encouragement my way. Thanks.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Jenna. I am not a runner. I was a long time athlete in grade school, high school and college. After an injury in college I stopped everything, except for eating like an athlete. I am on a mission to get healthy again before I dive in to the world of motherhood. I would like running to be a bigger part of my lifestyle change. At the moment, I am doing walk/runs to build myself up to straight running. Please send encouragement my way. Thanks.

Jenna, we all have to start somewhere. I started with walk/run intervals in August 2011. The 5K plan I found wanted me to run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute. When I started, I could only run 1 minute before I had to slow to a walk. Doesn't look like much, but it's a start. Keep at it, and you can get to where you do much, much more.

In under 5 years, I've gone from running for 1 minute with a goal of being able to run for 30 minutes or 3.5 miles, to running half marathons and marathons. You never know where this is going to take you, but if you keep at it you won't be doing walk/run intervals forever . . . unless it turns out that walk/run intervals are what you *want* to do long term.
  • realalize
    realalize Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    New here, I joined the group a week ago and recently restarted running on 1 May. My name is Alise, 33 years old, living in Belgium (born & bred in the US). I've struggled with my weight for most of my life. I lost 90 pounds in my late teens and maintained 125-135 for about 11 years. I was never interested in sports or fitness as a kid/teen. I only got into enjoying working out in my twenties. I started running in 2003 and did that for maybe a year. I built it up to where I could run 30-40 minutes without walking. I felt great and loved the runner's high and the overwhelming sense of accomplishment it gave me to see and feel the progress I had made. I guess school got in the way. I also have issues with anxiety and dislike running outside alone through the city's streets. So I turned to other forms of cardio: biking and kickboxing. Joined a gym a couple times. 4 years ago I took up running again but only went a few times with a friend. My dissertation got in the way and I joined a gym instead. Now I've returned to it as I've become bored with kickboxing, zumba, yoga, etc., and also because I'm having an extremely difficult time losing weight. I am loving/hating running all over again. I am using the C25K app and am only on week 2. I'm looking forward to increasing my stamina and participating in a 5k in August. I twisted my ankle really badly two months ago so I'm a little worried about injuring myself. I'm taking it slow and I wear an ankle brace, although I must say, I am intimidated by other runners. The hardest part is getting out there during the week. I have a long commute and once I get home, the only thing I want to do is veg and eat. Another difficult thing is shutting up my negative internal critic... Today I ran/walked 4K in 35 minutes.
    Thanks to all participating here. Your accomplishments and stories are very motivational. Thanks for reading.
  • TheRealBmillz
    TheRealBmillz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Katiebug89 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm Katie. I joined a local running group program in October 2015 and completed my first half marathon with them in December but I hit a wall with running during my 3rd half this March and came upon the dreaded "why". Why was I running for 3 hours straight? Seemed a bit redundant.

Since then, I've been less than consistent with my running group trainings. The increasing heat does NOT help either. (I live in FL)

BUT I'm determined to get back on the band wagon despite the temperature and am hoping to hit 60 miles by June. (2 miles a day)

Hello! I just returned from a vacation in Florida a week ago. I run about 20-30 miles a week usually (living in PA), but due to the heat there I was only able to run up to 2-3 miles at a time. I definitely underestimated the temperatures/humidity.
  • TheRealBmillz
    TheRealBmillz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Brandon! I have been running for about a year now, but have not enjoyed it for nearly as long.

I started out with one goal, to complete a 5K race. After 4 months (May 2015-September 2015) of hard work I met my goal, although running up to 5-5.5 miles during my training (not technically racing). I felt extremely accomplished and thought nothing could knock me off my high horse... Until a couple weeks later, I injured myself during some strength training exercises. Once, able to run again, I pushed myself too hard (thinking I could be right back where I left off) and became stressed that I needed to slowly build endurance back up. So, I did what any lowly motivated person would do, and decided to quit.

A few weeks later, I gained my confidence back and decided my only goal should be to do my best every time I am out on a run. Since setting that goal I have grown to love running and how free I feel while doing it!
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My name is Jo and I recently started running again. I love how it makes me feel and the mental stability it provides me. I have not been able to do a 5K yet, since the weather has not cooperated this year at all. I have started getting up and running at 5 AM so I can get it done before my long day of work. My goal is going to be 100 miles this month.