What equipment do I need

Options
tabbyblack13
tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
I would like to start getting into lifing a little bit and I have heard good things about this book but I have one big question. What is the basic equipment I would need?

I would like to start doing everything at home then switch and go to the fitness center here. There are no personal trainers at the gym since it's a community gym. The majority of the people that work out in the weight section are the high school boys that workout for sports or for something to do. Also there are a lot of people that have been lifting for a long time here so they know what they are doing. I would like to not look like a complete idiot when I go in.

Replies

• Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I work out at home because I'm not fond of gyms. When I started the program all I had was 3-5-8lb dumbells. To get going I bought 10 & 12 lb dumbells and a smaller barbell with17.5kg of weights - to this day I'm still not sure how much the bar actually weighs. I used a rubbermaid step stool for step ups. I've since bought dumbells up to 30lbs (have yet to use them - 20 is the highest so far) and 40 more lbs for my bar bell. I roll out of bed in the morning and go downstairs and do my thing! It works well for me.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    So I don't need a bench or fitness ball. I was looking at adjustable dumbbells that have a frame and you can adjust how much is on them. I think they go up to 50 lbs which is way more then what I need.
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    We just setup a home gym. My husband had an old weight bench. We bought a set that included a barbell and 2 dumbell handles with 145lbs of cast iron weights (varying from 2.5lb plates to 25lb plates). We also got a curl bar and an exercise ball.