Doesn't feel like I am improving.

Options
I started losing weight at the end of January, and have lost 32lbs so far. After a few weeks of just walking, I decided to start jogging a bit (I hadn't run since being forced to do cross country at school about 20 years ago), so I did that for a couple of weeks just doing my own thing, walking, jogging, walking. Then I started doing the beginner training programme with Runkeeper. I got about half way through and then felt like I wasn't progressing, I couldn't run for the amount of time they wanted me to. So I stopped that and started over with the free C25k app. I'm now at the end of week 2, but really don't feel like I should move on to week 3 as I wasn't running for the full 2 minutes each time for week 2...I would start off alright for the first few times (although felt like I was dying at the end, even though not going very fast at all), and by half way through I was maybe running for 1m45s rather than the 2 minutes. Shouldn't I be seeing some improvement by now? I've been doing this for over 2 months.

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    If you can't hold a conversation while you are running, slow down. If you feel like you are dying, slow down. Even if you think you are going way too slow, slow down. If you need to repeat days, do it, but slow down. Don't give up! You will see improvement and you will surprise yourself in the end!
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post above ^^^

I just finished the C25K program a month ago... but half way through it I had trouble getting to the next week. I thought I was running pretty slow at 5mph, but I had to slow down even more. I finished the program while jogging at 4.5mph... and now I am slowly working to increase my speed and stamina.

What speed are you running at? Try slowing down by 0.5mph and then try... if you're still having trouble, then slow down even more. Work on speed and stamina after you've finished the program.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't give up! I promise you it gets better. Advance to the next week when you're ready. I could barely run a minute when I started. I'm running 25 minutes comfortably now. Keep with it. You'll get there!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    If you can't hold a conversation while you are running, slow down. If you feel like you are dying, slow down. Even if you think you are going way too slow, slow down. If you need to repeat days, do it, but slow down. Don't give up! You will see improvement and you will surprise yourself in the end!

This. Chances are that you just need to slow down.

Don't give up. You're doing great. Slow down and things will fall into place. You can do this!