8 weeks in with cut, now what?

AnexRavensong
AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
I just realized I kind of missed the 6 week mark check in about adjusting cals and am now on week 8 (I mis-wrote when to check in on my spreadsheet -_-).

My weight has kind of been bouncing up and down from 167 to 165 for the passed month (it's super annoying). So I'm wondering what I should do now. Should I add 100 cals as suggested at the 6 week mark or eat at TDEE for a week?

This is my weight chart for the last quarter. The last part of it has been pretty flat but up and down (does that make sense? lol)
https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet?s=0JW9712117J84W6KG951498QWQ982223W5QJ78QJ&q=histreq&HDiet_tzoffset=-60

Weekly check-in weights have been 166.6, 165.2, 166.4, 166.2, 165.8 for the month of April.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    If you have a good solid month (or more is better) of accurate food logging, and valid starting and ending weigh-in days, then you can do the math for better TDEE.

How much deficit did it appear you would have in place for last month?

How much did you lose the 2 weeks prior to just bouncing around, and did you eat the same amount then?

Has activity changed in that past month or 6 weeks including the loss?

Because if you use the spreadsheet Progress tab, far right on TDEE calc based on actual eating amounts, you can calculate truer TDEE. You'll just need to put in a months worth of data, get the avg eaten from bottom, then put in next 2 weeks and 1 day holding that avg amount to get complete avg. Or use all 8 weeks of cut would be better.

Because TDEE should have changed for weight lost. If activity went down too (not just exercise, everything), and you have minor deficit, then you could easily be eating at real TDEE right now.
  • running4myboys
    running4myboys Posts: 44 Member
    I just realized I kind of missed the 6 week mark check in about adjusting cals and am now on week 8 (I mis-wrote when to check in on my spreadsheet -_-).

My weight has kind of been bouncing up and down from 167 to 165 for the passed month (it's super annoying). So I'm wondering what I should do now. Should I add 100 cals as suggested at the 6 week mark or eat at TDEE for a week?

This is my weight chart for the last quarter. The last part of it has been pretty flat but up and down (does that make sense? lol)
    https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet?s=0JW9712117J84W6KG951498QWQ982223W5QJ78QJ&q=histreq&HDiet_tzoffset=-60

Weekly check-in weights have been 166.6, 165.2, 166.4, 166.2, 165.8 for the month of April.

I would pop over to the EM2WL forums for some help! :wink:
  • heybales

:tongue:
    Look right above the top posting. Guess where we are....
    :happy:
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member

EM2WL.com :flowerforyou:
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    OK I will look. Problem is that the last week or so logging has been pure crap on some days due to the fact that I haven't been home and have had to eat out or at peoples' homes where I have no idea what I'm eating. So accuracy on consumed cals is not so great. I also didn't check-in on measurements etc though I do weigh in every day (except 2 where I wasn't home).

I logged as best I could on estimation and over estimating a lot of them time when I couldn't say for sure. There are a few days where the entire day wasn't logged at all, but I have nearly a month of data (the side yellow bar) minus 2 days which says 1711 is my average. Problem is I am bad and I might grab a 100 cal chocolate daily (hershey dark chocolate mini hearts from valentine's day) here and there and forget to log it so my calories consumed is still going to be off :/

I'm thinking maybe I just push through to the 12 week mark to be safe.
  • heybales
    That does make it difficult to do accurate math then based on results.

But what it sounds like you could say, is your level is higher than logged by some unknown amount.

So long as you keep that same level of inaccuracy, you can still cut calories.

Notice what the recommended deficit calories is based on whatever % you are doing.

Now find that many calories daily to cut out, real logged accurate calories.

Now, while the number may seem low, you know you are actually eating more than that with the inaccuracies factored in.

Just don't use that method along with getting more accurate - that would cause a double deficit you might say, and part of it unknown.

So while it appears you have been eating around 1700, it could easily be closer to 2000 or more.
    So while you might start eating around say 250 (or whatever for you) less so 1450, in reality you are eating closer to 1750 or more.

Or spend the extra time as you mentioned - getting very accurate. But if eating out a lot, that just can't happen, so it may never be good enough, and above method will be it anyway.