Is anyone here following Dr Poon rather than Atkins?

Options
merflan
merflan Posts: 216 Member
And yes I know its funny... Dr Poon.... several comments made on other forums when someone posted a question about the diet. But I'm really interested to see if anyone else is?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Any links or references? I've never heard this name.

Edit: A quick google suggests this is a Low-Carb and Low Fat diet. Sounds horrible and unsustainable.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm not following this diet, but I try to eat about 50-60% fat and 30-40% protein, and under 50g of carbs. It isn't as high of fat percentage, which has worked well for others. But, I've found it to be the best ratio for my body for weight loss.

Generally, a low-fat/low-carb diet is for those with extreme weight loss needs such as people seeking weight loss surgery. Vitamin supplementation is usually a must too for this type of diet, possibly by injection, and should be monitored by a doctor. Like frob suggests it's not a sustainable diet or lifestyle change. It's a temporary diet. Our bodies need dietary fat for Energy, Vitamin Absorption, Building New Cells, Regulating Cell Function, and body fat for maintaining core body temperature. We can't live without dietary fat.

If you intend on doing Dr. Poon's diet, please work with your doctor.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Yeah, it looks like a variation on a protein sparing modified fast. Lyle McDonald talks a little about those in his book "The Ketogenic Diet." The advice about proceeding only under doctor supervision is a wise one. It is obviously something that is not intended to be long term. But, even for short term periods, I would still think a doctor should supervise a very restrictive diet like that.
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It isn't restrictive at all, once you get past the first two weeks. And totally sustainable. Was just asking if anyone else was following it....
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Any specifics about what each phase entails?

What are the rough macro breakdowns (in g and %) for each phase?
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The local library used to have Lyle's book "the ketogenic diet", along the way someone never returned it, I got to read it a few times, that was one of the most accurate medical type books on Ketosis I have ever read, I wish I could get my hands on another one
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    The local library used to have Lyle's book "the ketogenic diet", along the way someone never returned it, I got to read it a few times, that was one of the most accurate medical type books on Ketosis I have ever read, I wish I could get my hands on another one

Message me your email address. I may have a copy of that in PDF. It's not as nice as the hard copy, but you'll be able to reread it.