May the May 2014 Challenge be with you!

Options
13»

Replies

• julie_emma1
    julie_emma1 Posts: 146
    Options
    Hi Dave, thanks as always for organizing this! I just joined in - super late, I know! Hope that's okay!:blushing:
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Prolly not going to hit my goal of 120 this month. What changed? I got a coach! So I'm not doing my schedule, I'm doing my coaches. More track work, hills, cross training, etc. It also means for now less miles compared to what I had scheduled. But I got a coach for a reason so I will defer to her expertise and experience. It just won't do when your coach asks for you do to something and reply with "well I don't think so. I read something on the internet where..." Anyway, I'm not losing my enthusiasm for running. Quite the opposite. It's just that my goals are no longer my own!
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I used to be in this group a couple of years ago and it really motivated me to run. I'm going to do 50 miles this month, going on vacation next week so I will just log in what I have so far this month :)
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I just updated the spreadsheet. Of course it's fine to jump in to the challenge late in the month -- thanks timadotcom and Julie_Emma!

I'm at 154 for the month currently, with 42 miles to go. Unfortunately the running study I'm enrolled in limits me to 40 miles per week and I'm running a marathon on June 1 that counts as part of the last week in May for the study. Which means I can only run 14 miles the rest of the week, which is all that will count here!

So I will end up being just a touch under my goal of 196 miles for May.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options

So I will end up being just a touch under my goal of 196 miles for May.

And you call yourself a runner? Such a slacker. :laugh: :wink:
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    hmmm, by the time I run my race on Saturday I will be a little over my monthly goal. I'm terrible at estimating my mileage for the month. I regret that I didn't set a bigger goal!
  • davemunger
    Options
    Since I'm on the road and not sure when I will have a chance to update, I have already set up the June challenge! Join in the fun by following the link below:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1302522-join-the-june-2014-challenge
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I won't be making my goal for this month, but I just passed my total for February, making this my biggest month since January, with 1 or 2 more runs to do! I'm also averaging over 20 miles a week again, so I feel good about that.
  • DonPendergraft
    Options
    Welp, I'm going to miss my goal of 120 miles by about 5 miles. I got a coach (yay!) half way through the month so two days I would have been running I'm now doing elliptical which doesn't count toward running miles. I'm scheduled to run 11 on Saturday and I guess it would be cheating my coaches plan for me to run 16 instead! It will make guessing mileage tough for June. I only get a weeks worth of activities at a time. Very different from my normal method of mapping things out months in advance!
  • davemunger
    Options
    Welp, I'm going to miss my goal of 120 miles by about 5 miles. I got a coach (yay!) half way through the month so two days I would have been running I'm now doing elliptical which doesn't count toward running miles. I'm scheduled to run 11 on Saturday and I guess it would be cheating my coaches plan for me to run 16 instead! It will make guessing mileage tough for June. I only get a weeks worth of activities at a time. Very different from my normal method of mapping things out months in advance!

The discipline your coach is giving you is more important than hitting some arbitrary number of miles. I wouldn't sweat that at all. I think it's still cool to track miles here even though I'm limiting my miles due to being in this running study; neat to see what everyone else is doing and offer mutual support.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I overestimated my desire to be back running after the first marathon on Mother's Day. It was a great race, but I ended up doing other training instead of the daily running (tennis, basketball, strength training). I feel great though - May ended up being a 75 mile month instead of 100. Picking up the running again next month. Spending a lot of time now on trails....such a great time. Hard at work mapping out runs and finding new trails nearby. Nice job everyone.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Made my goal this month! Finally. Feeling stronger! and my job schedule should be good in the fall to keep it up. :drinker:
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Well I have been tracking my miles but not talking here - sorry but I made my goal and the hamstring/leg feels . . . OK.

Think I will try for 80 months - I am having some holiday time!

Thanks for all the support and keeping the post going :)
  • davemunger
    Options
    Made my goal this month! Finally. Feeling stronger! and my job schedule should be good in the fall to keep it up. :drinker:

Woot! Congratulations! I didn't quite make it -- 189 out of 196. But with any luck I'll start June off with a bang -- 26.2 tomorrow! I'm updating the spreadsheet now and will update it again in a few days to catch any stragglers.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Done, 28 miles over goal. I didn't do anything extraordinary, except setting my goal too low.
  • DonPendergraft
    Options
    Done, 28 miles over goal. I didn't do anything extraordinary, except setting my goal too low.

You raced a lot though!