Hi! New person here. :-)

Options
Hey all, I'm looking for friends and support. I'm hoping I'm not creating a new thread of boredom. I swim a 2 - 400's and an then an 800 with fins.... I'm *trying* to swim at least every other day - but it's currently going in fits and starts. :-/

I don't have a lot of friends, because I haven't taken advantage of the forums :( (bad me!) - but would love to friend and encourage others! :-)

Replies

• rom838love
    rom838love Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I only joined MFP a month ago so I'm still learning the ropes, and I'm not a big part of the forums either, but some have been helpful! I'm a college student and have swam consistently for the past 16 years of my life and it's my favorite type of exercise.
    Looks like you've already lost a chunk of weight, nice job!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Plenty of support & information floating around here, a lot of REALLY nice people in the swimming forum. Don't worry about being in the "fits & starts" stage, we all started out the same way & had to build up strength & endurance. Keep the long-term view that this is a marathon & not a sprint, that none of us got out of shape overnight & will not get back in shape overnight. Set short-term goals on the road to your long-term one & you will be much more likely to notice your successes. As rom pointed out, you have already been doing a great job!!!!!
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Been doing AquaFit. Hope to get into swimming laps in pool. Did swimming as a kid in ocean. I'm 60 now.
  • jeanerbop12
    jeanerbop12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello there I'm new as well! I swim around 3-4 times a week with a masters swim team. Helps keep me motivated and gives me the push to carry on. For example, our lanes were doing a tough and somewhat tedious set and I was exhausted and bored... so I said, "That's it for me, I'm getting out!" And then everybody said that I couldn't get out because if I did, they would all leave too. Lol! See? That'll make you swim more and push you to your limits :)
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Welcome. This is a very positive group of people. I'm trying to improve my time for an open water swim in Aug. I'm 63. Never swam competitively but have always loved the water. Glad you're here.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hi, Welcome everyone! I am Jan. I swim nearly every day, except when this darned chronic illness that I have flares up. Today I was only able to do a half hour of laps. I find that the group here is very supportive as friends, but they don't post a lot in this group.

I usually lay off of swimming a bit in the winter, because it's so cold here getting to and from the pool, but I am hoping I can make this my first year of swimming through all of the seasons.
  • daniellas04
    Options
    Hello everyone :) well done to everyone who has lost weight so far! I'm new to all of this as well... I swim 4 times a week for 30 minutes a time, I had been doing breast stroke but to keep time moving I swap between breast stroke and front crawl now. I've been doing this since July last year but apart from my muscle definition in places changing slightly, I don't seem to be losing any weight. I was told I wouldn't see much change in myself until at 6 months of swimming so I've just been keeping myself fingers crossed.. but now I've just been feeling more down about myself and want to change the food I eat, although I don't think I eat that badly!

Could someone give me an idea of their typical food diary for a day that you have lost weight on? I'm hoping it'll trigger my brain to realise more about my own food diary!