May workout check-in; May your squats be deep and plentiful

Options

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

Last night I did squats again, my deload week, and guess what?? I GOT MY CHINUP!! Only 1, but I got it, fully unassisted. The happy dance and booty shake definitely happened as soon as I hit the ground :bigsmile:
    Congratulation! That is amazing!

Agree!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Last night I did squats again, my deload week, and guess what?? I GOT MY CHINUP!! Only 1, but I got it, fully unassisted. The happy dance and booty shake definitely happened as soon as I hit the ground :bigsmile:
    Congratulation! That is amazing!

Agree!
    x3 :drinker:

Y'know what they say; letting women do chin ups/pull ups etc., is a gateway drug to strength, confidence, and allover sassiness. :wink:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

28112-NPH-Thumbs-Up-gif-ewEr.gif
    Then I thought of Krok and jstout and decided I should try some box jumps again. 10 box jumps take me roughly 20 sec, so I did 8 rounds of 20 sec on and 10 sec off.

Don't go dragging my name into the box jump discussion!!! I don't do those......yet. I do lots of crazy stuff, but I hold no claim on box jumps :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Okay, I'm just gonna say: I'M SO ENVIOUS! I've never been able to do chin-ups without machine assistance. I have it as my secret goal for this year (yes, I know, I need some work on the definition of "secret goal") to do one chin-up. I'm not even sure it's possible with the shoulder troubles I've had but... WOW! YOU GO!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Last night was boxing class and I've officially been moved up to the boxing 2 class! There were only 4 of us there last night, but the class should see a few more people filter back in as the summer goes on. We did bag drills 2 min on 30 seconds rest then survival drills where we just defended against an onslaught of punches. Holly crap was the guy I paired with was fast. He wasn't out to hit me hard, but trying to block both head and body shots in the matter of a fraction of a second isn't easy and some shots are bound to land. No doubt that I will be much improved come the end of summer if I continue to work with him.

Strong Curves B for me today:

Superset 1:

Bodyweight Single leg hip thrusts 3x20
    chin-ups 3x5

Superset 2:
    DB high steps: 3x10 (each leg) with 15 lb DB's
    OHP: 3x8 @ 65

Prisoner single leg 45-deg back extensions 2x12 (each leg) - this are still tough

band seated abductions 1x20
    straight leg sit-up 1x20
    side bend 45-deg 1x20 (each side)

Finished up with a lovely 2km row in 10:15 since my ankle was feeling tweeky during my warm-up jog.

Also added a set of 10 push-ups for Krok.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

Okay, I'm just gonna say: I'M SO ENVIOUS! I've never been able to do chin-ups without machine assistance. I have it as my secret goal for this year (yes, I know, I need some work on the definition of "secret goal") to do one chin-up. I'm not even sure it's possible with the shoulder troubles I've had but... WOW! YOU GO!
    Me too. It is my not so secret goal since I tried P90x at the first time 2 yrs ago prior my last child .
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

That is awesome!!!

531 Bench "3" day
    45x5, 65x5, 85x5, 95x3. 105x3, 117.5x6

DB Bench
    60 (total) 5x10

DB row
    30 3x10

Supersetx3
    Curls 15 3x10
    Tricep rope 60 3x10

Yoga class!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Chin-ups are awesome! Color me a little jelly! I still can't do one unassisted but it's coming! I WILL get it!

It would probably help if I lost some weight. lol xD Well hey, I will gladly take the credit for the whole box jump deal, but I ain't responsible for any injuries that may happen. Please be careful.

I am so sick of all these push-ups, btw! Don't know what the hell I was thinking! Got 107 total with 1 more set to go today and tomorrow is the last day. FINALLY! Maybe I'll try benching this weekend to see if it carried over a bit xP
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Chin ups are THE ULTIMATE GOAL. Congrats!!!!!

Tonight's workout was supersets!
    Set 1
    DB Straight-Leg DL’s | 3x8 | 50's
    Cable chest flys on Bosu | 3x10 | 17.5/side

Set 2
    DB Split squats | 3x8 | 25’s
    Lat pull-downs | 3x8 | 90lbs

Set 3
    Bench dips | 3x10 | BW
    Plie squat w/ bi curl | 3x8 | 20’s

Set 4
    Plate planks | 3x30 sec | 25lb
    Back extension | 3x8 | 25lb

10 diamond pushups (incline)
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Week 2 Day 2, Workout A today.

Squats at 65, Chest at 55 and Rows at 55. I propped the barbell up on 2 plates each side and it still felt too low to the ground. I'm going to have to go up in weight asap.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    The day I can do a chin up will be a day of celebration. lol

Today jogged 1.25 miles and swam for 20 mins or so in the pool. Today is my "rest day"...haha. Anyway, tomorrow is OHP and DL.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    Yay for chin-ups! Tht must have felt *so good*!!!

I couldn't even do one back in 5th or 4th grade when they did the "presidential fitness tests". It's totally my ultimate goal but I'd probably have to lose a lot of weight.

Today for me

4 miles slow run

Squats - many warmup sets then 180 3x5.
    OHP - 85lb 5x5. Super happy about these :D. Yay for fractionals - 87.5 here I come!
    Good mornings 45 3x10
    Pendalay rows - 95 5x5

I'm taking 5 min between sets in OHP and spotted my partner on bench press. But I have to day that all this took a ridiculous amount of time. Almost 2 hours :/.
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    This morning was (again) a quick workout, based on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ip41iqy3w (but without the squat; I haven't "earned" those yet, lol. It's exhausting enough without them!)

That's similar to the one I do, I just don't have the front squats and my weights are way lower :-)

@rugbyplayer WOW! that's awesome, congrats on your chin up!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Last night I did squats again, my deload week, and guess what?? I GOT MY CHINUP!!
    A W E S O M E. Just...awesome!
    Today:

Squat 70kg 5x5 ok (Yesterday I ate all the foods and I was carb-loaded :laugh: )
    Bench 42.5kg 4x5 then 1x4, I failed the last rep but I'm definitely progressing. Having a spotter helps with the psychological part, I got no actual help from him but knowing he was there to save me from the roll of shame really helped. :laugh:
    Barbell row 42.5kg... nope. First set was ok, then I did two crappy sets and deloaded for 2x5 @40kg. I'll try again next time.

Upright barbell row 30kg 3x8 hard
    Dumbbell side lateral raise 6kg 3x5 hard
    Converging chest press 25kg 8,6,6
    Plank 3x50
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I am at 65 lbs. for squats, upright rows, and deadlifts. I feel like I can do more, but I have to buy more smaller weights as I don't really want to go from 65 to 85, going to order some today. I think that is not bad since I started at 40 3.5 weeks ago and this is only my second official week of stronglifts 5x5 and my 4th week lifting heavy weights ever.

For bench presses and overhead presses, I was at 55, but I didn't like my form so I went back to 45. I think I did the overhead presses with excellent form yesterday. I am getting more and more picky about form, which I guess is good.

At the end of my workout yesterday which was 5x5 and also reverse and underhand curls and flys, my hrm with a chest strap said I burned around 350 (of course when I ran up the stairs to let my cat out and back down, that counted too).
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Today was workout a for me.

I did:
    Squats 2x5 @ bar, 1x5@75, 5x5@105
    Bench press 1x5 bar, 5x5 80
    Rows 85. 3x5 2x3. I think this is too heavy for me, so I might go back to 80lbs to concentrate on form.

I had been stuck on squats & BP for the past couple of times so I am happy to move on.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    So, do you list everything you do here and under strength training? I am already putting everything I do under strength training so I have a really good record.

With the squats, you guys are doing hips lower than knees like the video right? I found it a challenge at first, but I have been doing squats the entire (just about an month) time I have been lifting and now it is much easier.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I am at 65 lbs. for squats, upright rows, and deadlifts. I feel like I can do more, but I have to buy more smaller weights as I don't really want to go from 65 to 85, going to order some today. I think that is not bad since I started at 40 3.5 weeks ago and this is only my second official week of stronglifts 5x5 and my 4th week lifting heavy weights ever.

For bench presses and overhead presses, I was at 55, but I didn't like my form so I went back to 45. I think I did the overhead presses with excellent form yesterday. I am getting more and more picky about form, which I guess is good.

At the end of my workout yesterday which was 5x5 and also reverse and underhand curls and flys, my hrm with a chest strap said I burned around 350 (of course when I ran up the stairs to let my cat out and back down, that counted too).

Hi Perseverance! Welcome to the SL crazy family :drinker:
    I'm a little more than a newbie myself, so I know the "I can do more" feeling, but you're doing it right. You start with low weights and you practice with your form, so it comes natural when you get to heavier weights. Being picky is a GREAT thing, especially at first, correcting bad form is harder and harder as you progress.
    Don't trust your hrm, however. It's meant to be used for steady state cardio, which is the only kind of activity where you can correlate heart rate and calorie burn and get a good estimate.
    There is a entry on MFP for strength training, it's listed as a cardiovascular exercise for some reason. Most people find it fairly accurate as a ballpark estimate. Some of us switch to TDEE method instead. Pick one and readjust if needed, you will find some great advice here :wink:

Happy lifting!
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Workout A today:
    Squats: warmup sets, 2x10 bodyweight, 2x5 45, 1x5 50, 1x3 80, 1x2 105 then 5x5 135 (used the big plates for the first time! :happy: )
    Bench: warmup with the bar, 5x4 75 lbs, just.could.not get that 5th one up on all sets today! Repeating 75 again next time, if I don't get it, will have to deload a bit.
    Bent over row: warmup with the bar, then 5x5 85 lbs. I had a really tough time with these so will be repeating 85 again next time.

I started doing some lunges between sets on the bench and rows to save time; 5x5 is taking a lot longer now than it used to!

Then did about 45 minutes on the elliptical.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Awesome, @rugbyplayer85!!

This is probably silly to be excited about but I am going to share anyway. I started running in 2012 and have pretty much kept up with it with a few breaks here and there. I haven't particularly enjoyed it though because I could never go faster than a snails pace before my heart rate would skyrocket. I tried to do some base training last year and I got so discouraged and frustrated because it was just going sooo slow. Anyway, I took two months off of running when I started Stronglifts in February so I could get adjusted to the heavy loads. I started back with c25k a few weeks ago to ease myself back into running and my heart rate is like 10-15 beats per minute slower now. Hopefully now I can become a better runner which makes me happy.

Last night I did workout B:
    Squats 115 5x5 I'm really fighting to not allow my hips to come up faster than my chest and I think I am ready for 120 now. Finally!!
    Overhead press 55 5x5 This was a deload and felt fairly easy.
    Deadlift 145 1x5 This was my second time doing this weight and I think I am doing okay so I will go up to 150 next time.