Sweet~n~Low in my tea...

Options
mamanicole79
mamanicole79 Posts: 17 Member
I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I do get an unsweet tea most mornings during the week day and of course add 2 packets of Sweet N Low to it. So is Sweet n Low a no no on the low carb diet? This is the only thing I use it for is my tea. I usually stay under 25g a day and have lost about 18lbs in 5 1/2 weeks but I've heard to stay away from the artificial sweeteners. Your thoughts?

Replies

• Figaver
    Figaver Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb a few times now and have successfully lost weight adding equal or Splenda to my coffee in the morning. The one thing I try to stay away from is sugar free candy, or the kind that has a bunch of sugar alcohol in it. Something about it does not agree with me, and usually causes my weight loss to stall. This is just my experience though.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The only artificial sweeteners I avoid are the items designed to replace sugar on a one-for-one ratio in baking. IE: Splenda for Baking, where it measures 1:1 with sugar. The problems with those is in order to get the bulk required for the 1:1 ratio they are very high in maltodextrin which is well-known to raise blood glucose.

I also limit sugar-alcohols in my diet as well - (sorbitol, maltitol, etc.) as they raise my blood glucose about 1/2 as much as the same quantity of sugar. The only sugar alcohol that doesn't raise my blood glucose is erythritol.
  • Caeyla
    Caeyla Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use liquid saccharin every day in coffee and tea, and have done so on previous attempts with no obvious problems.

Honestly, if you've been doing it the whole time and you're losing that well, I wouldn't worry about it.