WLS Pre-work - Exercise and Nutritionist

rpyle111
rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
Yesterday was the three hour exercise and nutritionist class that is part of the Henry Ford Hospital Program. The appointment was:

1) about 30 minutes of getting everyone's weight/BP/quick talk with the exercise guy who did those measurements.

2) Then the exercise guy presented about a 45 minute Powerpoint presentation on exercise, physiology, strategies for success, etc.

3) Next, the nutritionist came in for a similar time to talk about nutrient basics, metabolism and blood sugar impact of the various food types (carbs, protein, fat), and then some specifics of the pre-op, 1 week pre-op and post op diets.

4) Finally we went out to the gym and got an introduction to the machines (if needed) or a workout for those of us familiar with the machines.

I thought it was well put together and covered all of the basics. I learned a few things, but as I told the guy, I am pretty familiar with exercising, just not familiar with doing it often or regularly! A couple of things I learned and will be adapting into my routine:

Post-surgery exercise goals: 250 minutes exercise per week (light to medium intensity)

The importance of a back up plan

The expectation that I will lose a lot of muscle/strength int he first three months post-surgery and to be prepared for it

When I was on the elliptical, he got me started and told me he would be back to check on me in about 10 minutes. He spent so much time with the others in my group that he came back right as I was hitting 30 minutes and we chatted for a while. Felt good that he wasn't worried about me! He wanted me to try and increase my time on the elliptical from 30 minutes to 40-50 minutes, even if the intensity level would come down. He explained that he would rather have the minutes.

For weight training, he wants me to go to 2 sets of 15, rather than 3 sets of 10, and to do "Supersets" of 15 chest followed immediately by 15 lat; as opposed to both chest sets followed by both Lat sets. Similarly with biceps/triceps and Quads/Hamstrings. All of these are very doable.

Nutritionally, not a ton of new information (as her presentation was already in the 3 ring binder they handed out and I read like a geek!), but it was well presented and a good session for those who hadn't read the book.

So far, I am impressed with the program at HFH. They clearly have a goal to dissuade those who are looking for a quick fix, but are giving out really good stuff for those of us there to stick it out!

Getting a FitBit to help log and track exercise, as the machines are not giving me any info that feels reliable.

Rob

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Sounds like a really thorough program, and it sounds like you are in really good hands! That's awesome!
  • AndreaK724
    AndreaK724 Posts: 19 Member
    That does sound like a great program. I like that they took you to a gym to help you establish exercise habits and goals. Knowledge is power and it seems like they have equipped you for long-term success. Good luck on your journey.